+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Currently listening to:

Oasis - 'Supersonic' from the documentary on BBC2. A band like that is just what the world of music needs right now.

My main collection is Motown, Soul (Northern and other) and R&B from the 60s and 70s. I also have a 2nd, smaller collection, containing boogie, disco, ska, reggae and 2-tone (60s to 80s) which I also take with me to birthdays, weddings and other such like parties. Provided nobody complains, I will occasionally put up tracks and put up interesting (or not so.....) info on the track.

My first such add is an R&B ("proper" R&B as opposed to what they call R&B today) song by the Raelettes, One room paradise. The Raelettes were Ray Charles' backing singers (sometimes spelled Raelets) and released some very good music themselves. Margie Hendrix (also spelled as Hendricks) was the lead singer. One room paradise was the last 45 issued before Margie left to go solo. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C6xmqBbq8M

A few months after releasing One room paradise Margie left to go her own way and her first solo release was................ One room paradise. On the "scene", the solo version is the more popular of the two. I prefer the Raelettes version and play it out from time to time. Here is the solo version. I would appreciate your thoughts on which you prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kS4Euv2Iw

Thanks.

I will be blunt. Neither.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I will be blunt. Neither.
    Rog you are cruel. Raelettes ok, the sort of song that’s creeping into the rock’n’roll weekenders I sometimes troll around. Margie Hendrix I’m familiar with and like although it’s a bit ‘typical’ of its genre

Both good to dance to (in a Northern soul way). Interesting that an R&B song that gets played on the northern soul circuit is now getting played at rock & roll weekenders.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Both good to dance to (in a Northern soul way). Interesting that an R&B song that gets played on the northern soul circuit is now getting played at rock & roll weekenders.
    Its a big issue on 'the rockin' scene' MA. There are many factions in rock'n'roll, two of which this would appeal to - 'the fluffies' who simply live to dance, with the femmes dressed in those big fly-out dresses ('strimmers' to their detractors) that hog the dancefloor, and the 'hep cats' who have reinvented history with black R&B shoulder to shoulder with the more traditional rock'n'roll tunes. There's an increasing infiltration of R&B sides which drives the hard core teds and rockabillies bonkers. I think I've mentioned before the similarity between 'El Camino Real' By Lee Dresser, a rockin' hit of recent years, and 'Al Wilson's 'The Snake'. Well now BOTH are played around the scene, the former well-received, the latter less so in some quarters.

My view? We are all 'one nation under a groove', '#musicisthehealer' blah blah blah

Currently listening to:

Johnnie Taylor - 'Who's Making Love'

This is off the outstandingly good value FIVE-CD set, 101 STAX, over a hundred fantastic cuts originally recorded on the fantastic Stax Records out of Memphis, TN, which I got as a Christmas present and is in Asda for £6. Very much in the general musical area MadAmster is currently trying to interest y'all in, although he would possibly say 'not very much'.

Second cut in is 'Soul Limbo' which I hope will be playing repeatedly this eve, as its the alert music for the fall of Aussie wickets on a smart little app I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Currently listening to:

Johnnie Taylor - 'Who's Making Love'

This is off the outstandingly good value FIVE-CD set, 101 STAX, over a hundred fantastic cuts originally recorded on the fantastic Stax Records out of Memphis, TN, which I got as a Christmas present and is in Asda for £6. Very much in the general musical area MadAmster is currently trying to interest y'all in, although he would possibly say 'not very much'.

Second cut in is 'Soul Limbo' which I hope will be playing repeatedly this eve, as its the alert music for the fall of Aussie wickets on a smart little app I have.
    Stax gave us a wealth of absolutely crackin' tracks that have all been big on the scene at one time or another. I presume Johnnie Taylor's Friday night is also on there. Another cracker.

Very often there is a crossover factor. Songs which become popular with fans of one genre when it has its roots in another. A fine examle of that is Rufus Lumley, I'm standing. Very popular in Northern circles but has its roots in C&W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjnQbac8oI

It's always been a tradition in my family to sing Auld Lang Syne on New Year's Eve. So that's the top song of the day.

Happy New Year everyone

Bill Haley & The Comets, great dancing music

Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)