+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/T snowing

Thought I would challenge kids on road to a snowball fight.
    Yep I got absolutely murdered.
    Had a word with blokes on street it’s on this afternoon we’re getting payback.

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Thought I would challenge kids on road to a snowball fight.
    Yep I got absolutely murdered.
    Had a word with blokes on street it’s on this afternoon we’re getting payback.
    Half a house brick covered with a thin layer of snow usually works.

What a nation of drama queens. Four inches of snow and it's mass hysteria. There was even a 2 hour long live programme on channel 5 the other day dedicated to it, called the big freeze, saying it's the worst snowfall in decades? Funny, I remember around 8 years ago we had nearly 2ft of snow and freezing temperatures for around a month. I blame media sensationalism 😞

I'm told my grandfather walked from Barnsley to Stocksbridge steel works to turn up for work in the mid 30's when snow made it impossible to get there by road , a distance of 14 miles .

He did his shift and walked back home again , 7 kids to feed so the loss of a day's pay was out of the question .

Different times , different breed , they certainly don't make folk like that anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'm told my grandfather walked from Barnsley to Stocksbridge steel works to turn up for work in the mid 30's when snow made it impossible to get there by road , a distance of 14 miles .

He did his shift and walked back home again , 7 kids to feed so the loss of a day's pay was out of the question .

Different times , different breed , they certainly don't make folk like that anymore .
    Snowflakes ❄️ in more ways than one?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

That's very true.

My father never drove and used the bus to get to work. One snowy day in the 1970s the snow stopped the buses but dear old dad needed to get to work for start of the 6am shift. They were paid piecework rates so missing work hit an already tight budget. He had a severe cold at the time but walked (trudged) the 5 mile journey to work, did his shift and walked back home. That's when he caught pneumonia and was hospitalised for a week.

He's on a cloud now looking down thinking "you nesh prats" or something similar

We've had snow much worse than this before but back then the health and safety brigade weren't as powerful as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    We've had snow much worse than this before but back then the health and safety brigade weren't as powerful as they are now.
    how does that stop people getting to work?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Not the fault of Health & Safety legislation, the problem is the ease of chasing a civil claim for compo via an ambulance chasing lawyer and no win no fee set ups.

Folks are scared of being sued so they play ultra safe and cancel things rather than risk it no matter how small that risk actually is.

Having a strong health and safety ethos is actually good for all of us isn't it?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast