+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does sacking a manager make you any better?

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Well yeah, that's the tough question isn't it, but even in that situation there may well be reasons not to get rid of the manager.

If the players are still clearly playing for the manager under a relegation battle then I'd still support a decision to keep Neal in situ. If the opposite is evident and he has lost the dressing room then a managerial change would probably be beneficial.
    The size of the gates will speak the loudest. The owners would have to weigh up the loss of revenue through the turnstiles by sticking with him against whatever it is they'd have to pay him off (And I cannot believe, but maybe I can, that Hardy was stupid enough to give him a three year deal straight after the Kewell debacle). We can argue all we want on social media but if it's not the very real threat of the drop (or a personality clash) then it's dwindling support that forces the issue.
    It's not right that we should be having this discussion after one game of the season, but it's also not right that that we've got a manager projecting the same negativity (both in his interviews and through his players on the pitch) that we had at the end of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    From the little I've seen of the young uns, Crawford is the only one I can see making it.
    I'd like to see Crawford start. He can run box to box and spent last season playing at this level. With Doyle out he really ought to be getting his chance.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The size of the gates will speak the loudest. The owners would have to weigh up the loss of revenue through the turnstiles by sticking with him against whatever it is they'd have to pay him off (And I cannot believe, but maybe I can, that Hardy was stupid enough to give him a three year deal straight after the Kewell debacle). We can argue all we want on social media but if it's not the very real threat of the drop (or a personality clash) then it's dwindling support that forces the issue.
    It's not right that we should be having this discussion after one game of the season, but it's also not right that that we've got a manager projecting the same negativity (both in his interviews and through his players on the pitch) that we had at the end of last season.
    The support levels need to drop as NA feels that it puts his players under undue pressure. Hardy talked about wanting to give Kewell a 5yr contract.

We needed a "John Wayne" character last year and I don't know if NA is using the negativity to manage expectations or whether it is just part of his personality. Whilst I would not want to see the AH #clapclap #faith approach it feels like depression before we even start and every/any point gained will be a bonus. I just don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Sounds great if we do actually see "a definite and effective style of play, a balanced and motivated squad, a great home record, and the occasional youngster breaking through". But what if we don't? What if we are in or very close to the relegation places in four months time? Do we stick with him because of the theory on here that if you give a manager time he will come up with the goods, or do you realise he's unlikely to take us forward and get rid?

Suggesting we give him 18 months to see if he's any good is ridiculous (only in my opinion of course).
    The thing is eLite that he has cut the mustard at this level before. Now I know people will then ask why managers such as Sheridan didnt work at out Notts and 18 months is a bit generous but we have to let him bed in the squad this season for the next few months and see what happens. If we have the same no chances letting in set pieces etc then he walks. If we pick up marvellous. I dont subscribe to the theory that if you stick with a manager he will come up with the goods, but I do subscribe to the theory that if they have a reasonable track record at the level of performance required the chance of success is higher and they deserve a bit longer to see if they can turn the ship around. The most worrying for me from Saturdays result was that Ardley in the interview seemed to think we did ok in parts but the stats suggest otherwise and it seemed on the surface a repeat of last season. That would suggest a low expectation level. He needs to offload Enzio and Dennis and get a couple of bull dozers in upfront. Unfortunately I cant see anyone taking Enzio.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The thing is eLite that he has cut the mustard at this level before. .
    Why do people keep saying this? He's never managed or played at non-league/5th tier level, this is as new to him as it is for us. Wimbledon were in the 4th tier when he took charge there, he got the job because he was an ex-player with around 250 apps in the pre MK era.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The thing is eLite that he has cut the mustard at this level before.
    Really? I thought his managerial record at this level was played one, lost one.

Going back to the original question, it worked for Northampton. After 10 games they were 21st with 7 points. They brought in Keith Curle who got 54 points from 36 games and they finished 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Really? I thought his managerial record at this level was played one, lost one.
    Not sure why I thought that, clearly a lack of research on my part but there you go! Oh well, my general point stands, but I concede on the Vanamara stats. Hopefully soon it is played two, won one, lost one, but I doubt it. Hope I am proven wrong.

The main thing for me is. Ardley Worth It has new enthusiastic owners, a reasonable budget presumably and the turncoats in the squad have been removed
    Add a brilliant and enthusiastic support and he can't make excuses, which he is prone to doing. He should stay definitely but needs to grasp the nettle and get on with it. New owners will want results. Who wouldn't?

I didn't agree with some of the posts on the match thread and think we should give Ardley time given the pre season we've had. Having said that then if by Christmas we're heading towards to relegation battle then see you later Neal, you can only be described as an abject failure at Notts. He needs to show us why so many are keeping the faith with him and get the team playing with some passion at least. That's what worries me the most about his teams, all the players say a major reason they signed is because of him yet don't seem to want to put their bodies on the line for him even then. This is concerning. Anyway let's see how the next month or so goes before we get too stressed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345