+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Where will we be in 5 years' time?

I know this is an old thread and it's 4 years ago not 5 but it's interesting to see that a fair few people feared that Notts would struggle if they went down to League 2 and may even face relegation again, it just goes to show how long the club has struggled for.

We'll soon be playing Hucknall Town

You would think this thread had only just been created with what’s been written on it, yet it was four years ago.

The same comments, concerns are still as fresh and apply today as they were back in 2015.

I had to check the dates as some bits were confusing because it all seemed so current.

It just shows that little has been learned, changed or improved on overall in four years, and we have gone backwards certainly plummeted since we lost 8-1 to Swansea in Feb 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I know this is an old thread and it's 4 years ago not 5 but it's interesting to see that a fair few people feared that Notts would struggle if they went down to League 2 and may even face relegation again, it just goes to show how long the club has struggled for.
    Sadly, we will continue to struggle until we achieve stability in the boardroom and the manager's office. The same things that caused our demise in League One are now causing our demise in League Two.

Teams who have showed patience with managers and kept them in place for several years have all been through runs of good and bad form during that time, but they simply don't panic. They stay calm and patient, and overall these teams tend to perform at or above the levels their resources would suggest they should, compared with "knee-jerk" Notts County who overall tend to perform below the level our resources suggest we should.

Paul Tisdale was in charge of Exeter for years and they suffered relegation as well as promotions, but they stuck with him and generally met or exceeded expectations until he finally left for MK Dons at the end of last season, leaving a solid legacy that the new manager has benefitted from. Likewise Spurs, Burnley, Accrington, Wycombe Wanderers and Morecambe have all kept their managerial situations as stable as possible and have seen the benefits. The fans of these clubs also gradually "learn" to be more patient and less emotional because the hierarchy of the clubs hold their nerve through difficult times. Another good example was what Dario Gradi achieved with Crewe Alexandra, taking them to the Championship after many years of toil and struggle. When his spell in charge ended, they fell back, but only to the level they should reasonably expect to be anyway. In fact, it's arguable that Crewe do well to compete at League two level with their relatively meagre resources.
    Last edited by jackal2; 17-04-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    You would think this thread had only just been created with what’s been written on it, yet it was four years ago.

The same comments, concerns are still as fresh and apply today as they were back in 2015.

I had to check the dates as some bits were confusing because it all seemed so current.

It just shows that little has been learned, changed or improved on overall in four years, and we have gone backwards certainly plummeted since we lost 8-1 to Swansea in Feb 2018.
    Crazy, isn't it? I was writing the exact same things that I'm writing now, only back then we were getting relegated to L2, not the National League. Same ****, different year - poorly run club, poor managers, poor players, a total lack of hope.

Full of self important people, sticking their collective beaks in, with not a clue how to run a hot shower, let alone a footy club. I'd welcome relegation if it meant a total and utter clearout and rebuild from the bottom.

Further down in the Deep Brown Sticky Stuff, with bigger holes in our Wellies.

The status of the club in 5 years time merely in terms of what League we will be in is impossible to determine, we don't even know which division we will be in next year. Irrespective of if we go down this year the club needs stability more than anything else and much will depend on the depth of the new owners pockets. What has surprised me this season is the continued level of support for a very poor team who truly don't deserve the backing they've received. This is something Hardy deserves the credit for, he has done a lot to regenerate support amongst floating Notts fans and we can't afford to wallow at the bottom end of League 2 or the National leagues as that support will eventually evaporate. Lincoln & Mansfield have recovered from such positions and Lincoln in particular are blossoming. Of course their situation is very different to ours, they are the focus of professional sport in the city whereas we not only have Forest to contend with but there are also other avenues for the sporting spectator to spend their money on in the city. Having visited clubs like Bury & Crewe this year and seen some impressive football I would settle for a Notts team in any division playing in a similar style even if there were only a few thousand watching. COYP

I was promised Championship football in 5 years by Alan Hardy and I expect nothing less in the 4 years left!!!

Seriously I expect us to be still in the Conference trying to get out :-( Thanks for that Hardy you @rse!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I was promised Championship football in 5 years by Alan Hardy and I expect nothing less in the 4 years left!!!

Seriously I expect us to be still in the Conference trying to get out :-( Thanks for that Hardy you @rse!!!!
    Hardy did his best - didn’t see any other fan putting his money where his mouth is !!!. Sadly it all went wrong for him, perhaps now you will stump up the cash to run the club!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast