+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol absolutely smashed by Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Well, 6 points in the last 9 games, and some really poor performances in that lot says that its a very big gamble. I'm not saying we haven't got a chance, but there seems to be a view that if we splash the cash big time, (on who know, i'm not sure. I still maintain few good players move in January...) that we WILL go up. I think its a lot less certain than that.

But you have to ask yourself why we have slipped off the pace FKB

The squad was relatively threadbare, we had some quality but could not cope with the injuries we have suffered.

The club still had the same attitude at the beginning of the season that it has always had, "survival will be good" and they planned accordingly.

Wilder continued to perform his miracles and the goalposts have now been moved.

The board either moves with the new agenda or it ruins it

Everyone from the manager, the players down to the fans have done their bit

Now it's their turn, they'll never have a better chance

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Who knows for sure what Wilder has to spend? All supposition and twitter rubbish.

More to the point why has anyone expected anything to change ( and being "surprised" by ifs and buts) when it's clear that the money is highly unlikely to be there. A clapper like me has been thinking that since September, yet once again people seem to build expectations up based on nothing.
    Supposition though is the lifeblood of conversation, especially on an internet forum. I think the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, in as much as this transfer window and Tufty's reaction to it will speak volumes.

I think it's only fair that some people expected change when talk of 'game changing investment' was bandied about. It's also worth considering what Gray says too: failing to grasp the nettle is short-sighted as best. Spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar is utterly self-defeating. He could recoup some of his money if we went up, even if we went back down again, just because of the vast riches of the EPL.

I can't see that Wilder would ask for obscene amounts of money which would be wasted on gash. He's far too savvy to do what Carvalhal did and spend big on journeymen and wastes of space. The chances of him blowing our future by over-spending are virtually nil. What he can do though is consolidate, push us on, take advantage of the other big hitters in the league having indifferent seasons and take us to the next level.

McCabe could go from villain to hero in one season. He could be the steward that got the club into the Prem.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    But you have to ask yourself why we have slipped off the pace FKB

The squad was relatively threadbare, we had some quality but could not cope with the injuries we have suffered.

The club still had the same attitude at the beginning of the season that it has always had, "survival will be good" and they planned accordingly.

Wilder continued to perform his miracles and the goalposts have now been moved.

The board either moves with the new agenda or it ruins it

Everyone from the manager, the players down to the fans have done their bit

Now it's their turn, they'll never have a better chance
    When we talk about backing Wilder, how much are we talking about, how much is enough? How many do we need? Are we sure that those funds aren't being made available, and if not why not? Of course we don't. Its all supposition and opinion, largely along our historical lines of prejudice around the board and McCabe in particular.

I accept that the squad is a bit threadbare and that is kind of the point I'm trying to make. The foundations for us to go straight up aren't there, they were never there. That's not to say its impossible but we're well into the season now. Can one or two players have the impact to get our momentum going again. We've seen how Lundstram struggled to get up to speed and he's done all the training since pre-season. I'm guessing our rivals will also be spending, and they have better depth of squads than we do already, or did we think we could strengthen and no-one would notice? So i'm not against, but I don't think that there are quite the grounds for going full on 'gung-ho'.

Taking risks is all part of making decisions, but there is a point where 'risk' becomes 'risky' . I've not yet seen anyone talk about what happens if the Directors chuck a big chunk of change in, spend the Brooks money before we have it, maybe commit money we'd spend in the summer transfer window, and then we go and finish 7th. If we have a plan, we should think twice about chucking the plan away.

If Paul Coutts had been able to ride the challenge and we'd taken another 15 points from the last 10 games, then it would have been a different proposition for me. But he didn't and as well as we're playing (now and again), one win in nine is a dreadful run which underlines the point that we haven't got the squad depth to really compete for promotion. I really don't think its 'now or never'. We're on an upward journey and if it isn't now it will be soon. I wish it was different, but that's how I see it.

I'm with Carpe Diem (and Gray) on this one, both the poster and the meaning of his user name.

It's time to sieze the day not prevaricate.

McC's supposed to be an entrepreneur, spotting the opportunities and taking the initiative.

Well, he's never employed anyone ( within SUFC) with as much initiative and drive as CW so let's hope he does.

I appreciate, as HC says, that we do not KNOW what might happen so speculation is rife at such a time.

That means we have to fall back on experience, which does not inspire many of us.

When we talk about backing Wilder, how much are we talking about, how much is enough? How many do we need? Are we sure that those funds aren't being made available, and if not why not? Of course we don't. Its all supposition and opinion, largely along our historical lines of prejudice around the board and McCabe in particular.

I accept that the squad is a bit threadbare and that is kind of the point I'm trying to make. The foundations for us to go straight up aren't there, they were never there. That's not to say its impossible but we're well into the season now. Can one or two players have the impact to get our momentum going again. We've seen how Lundstram struggled to get up to speed and he's done all the training since pre-season. I'm guessing our rivals will also be spending, and they have better depth of squads than we do already, or did we think we could strengthen and no-one would notice? So i'm not against, but I don't think that there are quite the grounds for going full on 'gung-ho'.

Taking risks is all part of making decisions, but there is a point where 'risk' becomes 'risky' . I've not yet seen anyone talk about what happens if the Directors chuck a big chunk of change in, spend the Brooks money before we have it, maybe commit money we'd spend in the summer transfer window, and then we go and finish 7th. If we have a plan, we should think twice about chucking the plan away.

If Paul Coutts had been able to ride the challenge and we'd taken another 15 points from the last 10 games, then it would have been a different proposition for me. But he didn't and as well as we're playing (now and again), one win in nine is a dreadful run which underlines the point that we haven't got the squad depth to really compete for promotion. I really don't think its 'now or never'. We're on an upward journey and if it isn't now it will be soon. I wish it was different, but that's how I see it.
    All good points, FKB. I'd say that if we commit money we'd spent in the STW and then finish 7th, at least we'll have the knowledge that our new players are bedded in before the next season starts. That is of course if we'd have any money to spend in the STW...

When you look at what other teams have spent, it's nothing short of miraculous what Tufty and Knill have achieved. Only Wolves seem to have spent money effectively, and there's still a chance they'll fúck it up yet (although I think they'll go up as champions, for what it's worth. Their confidence leads to last minute goals, and I can only seem them strengthening in the JTW, and even weakening other teams if the rumours of Chris Martin going there are correct). But as others have said, they can only pull so many rabbits out of the proverbial hat, and if we're going to deny him the chance to at least compete and try to go for promotion this season, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he walked and went somewhere he'd be backed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    Supposition though is the lifeblood of conversation, especially on an internet forum. I think the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, in as much as this transfer window and Tufty's reaction to it will speak volumes.

I think it's only fair that some people expected change when talk of 'game changing investment' was bandied about. It's also worth considering what Gray says too: failing to grasp the nettle is short-sighted as best. Spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar is utterly self-defeating. He could recoup some of his money if we went up, even if we went back down again, just because of the vast riches of the EPL.

I can't see that Wilder would ask for obscene amounts of money which would be wasted on gash. He's far too savvy to do what Carvalhal did and spend big on journeymen and wastes of space. The chances of him blowing our future by over-spending are virtually nil. What he can do though is consolidate, push us on, take advantage of the other big hitters in the league having indifferent seasons and take us to the next level.

McCabe could go from villain to hero in one season. He could be the steward that got the club into the Prem.

Of course it it. However people come up with the same regurgitated comments every single transfer window as if it's a surprise. Oddly enough many of them stating throughout the season that they "know" McCabe won't put the money in.

Anyone four years down the line expecting "game changing investment" really need to wake up. Four years. We haven't seen it. We've seen the owners pump money in to shore the club up - a huge amount despite what those who have nothing financially to lose say - and that's it. Who really thinks it will change, save those who want to knock the club , as some did last season before Wilder won us the league? For me, it's an " see I told you, when virtually every single Blade expects
    a lot less.

Short sighted? Or short of cash? Because it's cash that's needed. Of course promotion would help them recover some cash. What if they can't raise much now? I don't know the answer and no one on here does either, but simply saying they put their hands in their pockets may well be just ignoring the financial realities.

I can't see Wilder wanting millions either. Probably because he's fully aware of the limitations. It's like taking things from his interviews, sharp intake of breath MUST mean he's being shafted because it looks better than the possibility that he's sick of the journalists questions.

Consolidate? Push us on when, next season? Some were confident if automatic a few weeks ago?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be crowing like some if I'm not.

It's no longer a lifestyle choice for McCabe like it is for us. We have a choice that won't cost us multi millions. Armchair financial experts carry no risk at all.

All good points, FKB. I'd say that if we commit money we'd spent in the STW and then finish 7th, at least we'll have the knowledge that our new players are bedded in before the next season starts. That is of course if we'd have any money to spend in the STW...

When you look at what other teams have spent, it's nothing short of miraculous what Tufty and Knill have achieved. Only Wolves seem to have spent money effectively, and there's still a chance they'll fúck it up yet (although I think they'll go up as champions, for what it's worth. Their confidence leads to last minute goals, and I can only seem them strengthening in the JTW, and even weakening other teams if the rumours of Chris Martin going there are correct). But as others have said, they can only pull so many rabbits out of the proverbial hat, and if we're going to deny him the chance to at least compete and try to go for promotion this season, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he walked and went somewhere he'd be backed.
    You are of course assuming that he isn't being backed to the level promised and expects them to come through with. If he says he is, some posters - not you - accuse, well no, they aren't honest enough to use that word, suggest he's just toeing the party line.

One minute he's a strong character, his own mane who takes no sh1t, but when it suits, club patsy. Laughable.

I have to say, I haven't noticed people flip-flopping from one stance to another on that front, but I haven't really looked for it so I'm happy to be wrong.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm hoping he's backed as much as he asks to be. If he's not, the board are wasting a potentially game-changing opportunity and he'd be right to look for employment elsewhere. We'll soon see, I guess. Let's hope I'm wrong in my supposition, which is based on experience.

I have to say, I haven't noticed people flip-flopping from one stance to another on that front, but I haven't really looked for it so I'm happy to be wrong.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm hoping he's backed as much as he asks to be. If he's not, the board are wasting a potentially game-changing opportunity and he'd be right to look for employment elsewhere. We'll soon see, I guess. Let's hope I'm wrong in my supposition, which is based on experience.
    The main gist of my post being the repetitive nature of the comments. We all have experienced the actions of the board, not just a select few who seem to think others haven't noticed. They can rail about it after rather than for weeks before. But that doesn't appear to be good enough. My opinion anyway, but everyone is entitled to post their opinion.

You're right, the foundations for us to go straight up weren't there at the beginning of the season
    But they are now

What I don't understand is why there always has to be this feeling that spending money on good players is the road to ruination.
    The club has done a wonderful job for decades in keeping expectation levels at practically zero by constantly quoting this bullsh@t

And we call Wendies brainwashed

I have constantly spouted on various message boards NOT to give Robson, Blackwell, Wilson, Weir, Clough, Adkins anymore money because they could not be trusted to spend it wisely, or get the best out of the players that they did sign.

Wilder is a different kettle of fish altogether, he will spend money properly and eek out every pound spent from the players he buys.

We're operating as a top Championship club now, the fact that it may have come earlier than expected and before we are ready is irrelevant. It's here now, it's happening.
    He should be given what he wants to complete the job, spending a bit of money is not necessarily wasting money, that old chestnut that the Blades boardrooms since 1889 have pumped out is wearing thin,

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast