+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Queens v St Johnstone

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    Seems everyone’s in agreement that we’re a few backup players short. Wasn’t at the game but as soon as I saw it was going to extra time I thought “Ah well....”. Surely there must be some out there with the necessary skills and experience who would put in a shift for not too much money?

i think queens should maybe have a wee sniff around the junior leagues ,theres defo a few gems hovering about in those leagues that shouldnt command too much wages ,plus garanteed to be hardened up for the cause and be good squad players .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 22-08-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Now that's a good shout Francis.

We are short of (we reckon) 3 players, - we don't need to spend mega bucks, (because we can't) and one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a couple of players who are maybe part time to swell the ranks?

Now that will immediately put the cock among the hens (to coin a phrase) and I can immediately feel the hackles being raised on this board- but if we think about it logically, - why not?

There may well be a couple of good, experienced players out there who have full time careers, but are fit and capable of doing a job for us and who don't want or need full time football.

Remember, - we're looking for players to fill the gaps that might (or rather will arise) - we're not necessarily looking for those players to replace the ones we've got, - therefore part time lads or rather experienced men would be the answer, - especially as they wouldn't be driven by money.

There will of course be questions about training, - but as long as these guys are match fit and training regularly with a team, - I can't see why they can't be considered. I certainly wouldn't kick the idea into touch, - ignoring a potentially superb candidate simply because he can't get along to a 2 hour training session.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i think queens should maybe have a wee sniff around the junior leagues ,theres defo a few gems hovering about in those leagues that shouldnt command too much wages ,plus garanteed to be hardened up for the cause and be good squad players .
    Well we really are clutching for straws thinking there are gems in the Junior leagues where standards have dropped in recent years. They are all part timers remember and many players are ex pros who are just there for the beer money. Why don’t we accept just haven’t got the resources to mount a promotion bid let alone surviving in the SPFL. We could of course attract rich investors to the board but this is unlikely and borrowing money would be financial suicide. Naysmith is no fool and given a reasonabl budget could get us into the SPFL.

To the future we can only continue to fumble about in the lower reaches of the Championship but perhaps have some fun now and again as we can inflict some damage with players such as Dobbie,Harkins and Dykes.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 22-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Just a thought.....Instead of moaning about finding money for three outfield players,it would be cheaper getting a good solid goalkeeper!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Now that's a good shout Francis.

We are short of (we reckon) 3 players, - we don't need to spend mega bucks, (because we can't) and one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a couple of players who are maybe part time to swell the ranks?

Now that will immediately put the cock among the hens (to coin a phrase) and I can immediately feel the hackles being raised on this board- but if we think about it logically, - why not?

There may well be a couple of good, experienced players out there who have full time careers, but are fit and capable of doing a job for us and who don't want or need full time football.

Remember, - we're looking for players to fill the gaps that might (or rather will arise) - we're not necessarily looking for those players to replace the ones we've got, - therefore part time lads or rather experienced men would be the answer, - especially as they wouldn't be driven by money.

There will of course be questions about training, - but as long as these guys are match fit and training regularly with a team, - I can't see why they can't be considered. I certainly wouldn't kick the idea into touch, - ignoring a potentially superb candidate simply because he can't get along to a 2 hour training session.
    We're not that desperate.

Think we need to rewind back a bit. We need to bolster the squad by two or three players to be fighting towards the top end of the table.

The last two seasons we have brought in loan players who hardly got a game so although we have to live within our means I don't think we are that hard up to have to scrape up dregs, certainty not at this level.

For all anyone knows there might be the money available but the management team might be struggling to find the right personal.

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    We're not that desperate.

Think we need to rewind back a bit. We need to bolster the squad by two or three players to be fighting towards the top end of the table.

The last two seasons we have brought in loan players who hardly got a game so although we have to live within our means I don't think we are that hard up to have to scrape up dregs, certainty not at this level.

For all anyone knows there might be the money available but the management team might be struggling to find the right personal.

i was thinking that myself deek but after speaking to a guy thats quite a bit in the know i got told our manager has tried to sign quite a few players which the board said no too as thay couldnt fit them into the budget ,its seemingly a real tight purse string this term .

"Just a thought.....Instead of moaning about finding money for three outfield players,it would be cheaper getting a good solid goalkeeper!"

You have more than a good point there papa!

"Just a thought.....Instead of moaning about finding money for three outfield players,it would be cheaper getting a good solid goalkeeper!"

You have more than a good point there papa!
    Hold on guys as press reports this morning are suggesting that Fordyce is out for around two months so the priorities may now change. Players with versatility similar to Doyle are what are needed to step to into positions where and when required as injuries and suspensions take their toll on this thin squad.

Spike, absolutely correct, - I'm not suggesting that we do not bring in the 3 faces as previously mentioned, I'm merely agreeing with Bagapapa that many of our problems stem from an inability in our keeper to claim the ball either by catching or punching.

This weakness was aired many times last season and although Martin appears to be fitter than last year, - he unfortunately is certainly not the fastest keeper, nor does he have the awareness that is required to take the pressure of the defence by coming to claim a ball or clearing the danger altogether by racing out of his area.

Despite my reservations, I suspect that another keeper is not top of our priorities and once again I would urge the manager to bring in 3 new faces, - part time or otherwise.

Spike, absolutely correct, - I'm not suggesting that we do not bring in the 3 faces as previously mentioned, I'm merely agreeing with Bagapapa that many of our problems stem from an inability in our keeper to claim the ball either by catching or punching.

This weakness was aired many times last season and although Martin appears to be fitter than last year, - he unfortunately is certainly not the fastest keeper, nor does he have the awareness that is required to take the pressure of the defence by coming to claim a ball or clearing the danger altogether by racing out of his area.

Despite my reservations, I suspect that another keeper is not top of our priorities and once again I would urge the manager to bring in 3 new faces, - part time or otherwise.
    Fully understand the reservations regarding Martin as he simply does not look agile enough at times.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)