+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I will be very underwhelmed if it is Maynard and would suspect that a lot of our recruitment will then fall down.
    The days of appointing managers just because they were 'big names', 'vastly experienced' or whatever other reason supporters might need to satisfy their collective egos and their opinion of the club's status have long gone under these owners. As I said in another post, this club's decline was at least partly due to appointing managers and signing players with great careers/reputations behind them.

The Reedtz brothers' two choices of Head Coach so far were virtually unknown when they arrived and yet both did well enough to get poached by clubs in higher divisions. If Maynard (for example) was once a BT engineer then so bloody what? Neil Warnock was a part-time chiropodist when he joined us.

All the evidence I've seen so far is that the current owners appoint with their brains rather than their b*llocks, and if that means recruiting a hitherto undervalued talent from a club like Wealdstone or anywhere else, then so be it. I'm more interested in what our new Head Coach will achieve in the future than what he did or didn't do in the past, or where he's coming from.
    Last edited by jackal2; 17-01-2024 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Here we go - I feel an NCM Mexican Wave is starting .

Oh Boy. I'd take Warnock in a Heartbeat. He could lead us until the end of the season and we could still challenge and Not Fade Away.
    I asked my contacts in the game if Warnock was interested and all I heard was Crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    So who do you want? I assume you won’t want the u23s managers or assistants that have been touted too?
    Premier League 1st team coach.
    Championship Assistant manager.
    National League or League 2 manager.
    These would seem to be about the right level as long as they play the right way.
    Not necessarily currently employed.
    Cheap.
    Or foreign but I have no idea there.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The days of appointing managers just because they were 'big names', 'vastly experienced' or whatever other reason supporters might need to satisfy their collective egos and their opinion of the club's status have long gone under these owners. As I said in another post, this club's decline was at least partly due to appointing managers and signing players with great careers/reputations behind them.

The Reedtz brothers' two choices of Head Coach so far were virtually unknown when they arrived and yet both did well enough to get poached by clubs in higher divisions. If Maynard (for example) was once a BT engineer then so bloody what? Neil Warnock was a part-time chiropodist when he joined us.

All the evidence I've seen so far is that the current owners appoint with their brains rather than their b*llocks, and if that means recruiting a hitherto undervalued talent from a club like Wealdstone or anywhere else, then so be it. I'm more interested in what our new Head Coach will achieve in the future than what he did or didn't do in the past, or where he's coming from.
    Agree 100%.
    LW was manager when Swindon were relegated.

I think our new manager will be someone like Maynard if not actually him - in agreement with several posters.

Our new owners are looking for talented guys on the rise from below, as opposed to okay managers that are probably on a downwards trajectory.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    So who do you want? I assume you won’t want the u23s managers or assistants that have been touted too?
    I have no real idea who I want, but I know the list on the bookies odds are very underwhelming. Of any I have seen, but I feel that it would not be achievable would be Bo Svensson. He played the same style as we play when at Mainz and also has the required personal skills as well but going from the Bundesliga to League 2 is a very steep drop.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I know very little about Maynard so I have no idea if he’d be a good appointment or not, but he’s doing a successful job in the division below. It’s a pretty obvious place to look for a manager.

He’s been a coach for more than a decade. The idea he automatically wouldn’t have any useful ideas or be able to teach our players anything because he’s been working at a lower level (the same one last season!) is just insulting IMO.
    I think the issue is he almost certainly seems like a downgrade on Luke Williams, at least on paper. Luke had tons of experience as a full-time coach for teams higher up the pyramid than Notts. Maynard is a part-time coach and doesn't even have the prerequisite coaching qualifications to work in the football league. He may be talented and have a bright future, but there's a stone somewhere between Wealdstone and Notts that he'd need to step on first before becoming our man, in my opinion at least.

This is a huge decision to get right. We can't afford to lose the momentum we've gained over the last 18 months. Sometimes you have to take a bit of a gamble, but this one seems way too big a gamble for my liking.

That said, I know bugger all about how to run a football club or choose a head coach, and the bros have earned my complete trust. If they think Maynard is the right man for the job, then I'll back him 100%.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 18-01-2024 at 05:33 AM.

If it was Maynard, would the players respect him. What has he done in the professional game, has he played it? Goldie Bostock O'Brien are going to look at him & think what do you know that we don't. We've played the game at the highest level under experienced Coaches. You've coached non league part time. It is a big step up, one that if appointed could find very overwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    If it was Maynard, would the players respect him. What has he done in the professional game, has he played it? Goldie Bostock O'Brien are going to look at him & think what do you know that we don't. We've played the game at the highest level under experienced Coaches. You've coached non league part time. It is a big step up, one that if appointed could find very overwhelming
    If the new coach is respectful to the players then there should be no reason they should not respect them regardless of whether they have played the game or not. Likewise IB and LW hadn’t played at the level of those three had.

There are plenty of coaches out there who are very good coaches who have not played the game professionally. Having played the game and coaching it are two completely different skill sets.

There will also be plenty of coaches out there who are very good who we will never have heard of.

I don’t know anything about Stuart Maynard but if he is a part time coach who has managed to keep a part time team in the National League then he must have done something right. It then begs the question if he worked full time and had full time players what could he achieve?

At the end of the day for me it’s got to be a manager who fits the club. Someone who is prepared to buy into the way it’s run and the way we play. I do think someone who coaches at a premier league or championship club or a club abroad who play a similar style to us and who is looking to make the step to being a head coach would be ideal. The reason being is that the way we play is suited to a higher level and they will have been coaching players to play in such a way.

Any prospective head coach will have seen both Ian Burchnall and Luke Williams move up two levels so it’s an attractive prospect for a young hungry and ambitious coach. Therefore I would like to think the club should have some good applicants to choose from.

Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast