+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Corbyn will eclipse Rotherham's record losing streak

The real nightmare scenario is a huge Tory majority with no-one to curb their vile excesses

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    The real nightmare scenario is a huge Tory majority with no-one to curb their vile excesses
    I agree that the lack of an effective opposition can result in bad government. That's one of the reasons why I don't like Corbyn.

I don't accept that the Tories are proposing any vile excesses. Which of their policies do you have in mind?

Frankly, May seems to holding herself out as something of an anti-establishment figure, as Thatcher did, but appears to be looking to curb the excesses of purely free market Thatcherist policies.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I agree that the lack of an effective opposition can result in bad government. That's one of the reasons why I don't like Corbyn.

I don't accept that the Tories are proposing any vile excesses. Which of their policies do you have in mind?

Frankly, May seems to holding herself out as something of an anti-establishment figure, as Thatcher did, but appears to be looking to curb the excesses of purely free market Thatcherist policies.

Quite right Kerr, it's a crying shame that Corbyn came on the scene, effectively making Labour unelectable.

Still his pedigree was known and those within the Labour Party that are anti-Corbyn chose to do nothing about it.

Around here my MP (John Healey) is hardly ever seen, he's too busy visiting Westminster brown nosing with Jeremy. You would have thought there was enough local issues to keep him fully occupied at his constituency but no he seems to think it's ok.

No, Theresa May is “holding herself out” as some sort of control freak who can’t make up her mind;

Campaigned for Remain….now a confirmed “Brexiteer”

National Insurance U-Turn in March

U-Turn on an election

An unprecedented major change to a manifesto published only a couple of days before.

Theresa Mayhem more like!

Juncker and the rest will be rubbing their hands in glee at how weak and wobbly she really is!

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    No, Theresa May is “holding herself out” as some sort of control freak who can’t make up her mind;

Campaigned for Remain….now a confirmed “Brexiteer”

National Insurance U-Turn in March

U-Turn on an election

An unprecedented major change to a manifesto published only a couple of days before.

Theresa Mayhem more like!

Juncker and the rest will be rubbing their hands in glee at how weak and wobbly she really is!
    With respect, that's all rhetoric and no substance.

May was a pretty low key remainer (just like Corbyn), but was mandated by the electorate to take the UK out of the EU. What should she do? Ignore the electorate? Is that Corbyn intends to do? Frankly, that's an incredibly weak point to make

The NI point is interesting. The change was aimed at raising revenue for public services and correcting what is perceived to be the favourable treatment of the self-employed for NI purposes. It was pointed out that raising NI breached a 2015 manifesto promise, so what should she have done? Broken the promise? Is that what Corbyn would have done? May has chosen to go to the country and has dropped the NI promise.

The NI point and other limitations created by the very small Tory majority are the very reason she has gone to the polls. She will be able to push a radical agenda through without an increased majority.

The amendment to the care cost policy is disappointing. We live with an aging population and need to grasp the nettle and accept the need for us to spend money to deal with the consequences of that. Simply pretending that isn't the case and that someone else will pick up the bill may seem a good idea to Labour, but doesn't to me.

I wouldn't shout too loudly about the respective merits of Corbyn and May when it comes to negotiations with the EU. It's really not a strong point for you.

Apologies for the typos in my last post. I'm posting from my phone.

May was a pretty low key remainer (just like Corbyn), but was mandated by the electorate to take the UK out of the EU. What should she do? Ignore the electorate? Is that Corbyn intends to do? Frankly, that's an incredibly weak point to make

The NI point is interesting. The change was aimed at raising revenue for public services and correcting what is perceived to be the favourable treatment of the self-employed for NI purposes. It was pointed out that raising NI breached a 2015 manifesto promise, so what should she have done? Broken the promise? Is that what Corbyn would have done? May has chosen to go to the country and has dropped the NI promise.

The NI point and other limitations created by the very small Tory majority are the very reason she has gone to the polls. She will be able to push a radical agenda through without an increased majority.

The amendment to the care cost policy is disappointing. We live with an aging population and need to grasp the nettle and accept the need for us to spend money to deal with the consequences of that. Simply pretending that isn't the case and that someone else will pick up the bill may seem a good idea to Labour, but doesn't to me.

I wouldn't shout too loudly about the respective merits of Corbyn and May when it comes to negotiations with the EU. It's really not a strong point for you.

It's interesting how different a slant is put on things depending on who's concerned. Corbyn would have been unmercilessly thrashed in the media if he'd backtracked so quickly on any aspect in Labours manifesto, never mind the other stuff. And remember all the flak that Corbyn got for the Leave vote immediately after the referendum?....it was all his fault!

Also, Labour are repeatedly quizzed in great detail about costings for this that and the other. There's loads of uncosted stuff and references to "green papers after the election" in the Tory manifesto. It's full of holes but the media prefer to go soft on the Tories. Again, Labour would be hung drawn & quartered for such a lazy manifesto.

As for respective merits on negotiating, from what I've seen so far May is pretty weak and doesn't take kindly to alternative opinion. She flip flops too easily. Not good traits.

Any one who is thinking of voting for Corbyn should remember that when Tim Parry lost his 12 yr old son to an IRA terror attack in Warrington Corbyn was marching in London with IRA supporters, to this day he still supports them. This odious man can never be the PM of our great country.

The easiness that you are allowing our leader to get away with poor leadership is astonishing here Kerr.

1. You speak about May taking control of the party as if she was reluctantly persuaded by everybody to help us out! May clearly and passionately argued for Remain and within a few weeks had chosen to put herself forward on the back of a divided party that had already committed to Brexit and completely opposite to the position that she CHOSE, of her own free will, to argue. She didn't have to put herself forward. She did so as it was an opportunity to take power when no one else (credible) was coming forward. What should she do? Keep to her principles and let the far right of the party deal with the issue that they had created (although Cameron was a clown for allowing it to happen in the first place!).

2. NI - "It was pointed out". Am I reading this right. She presided over a budget launch and then "it was pointed out" that this was against the manifesto that she was serving as Home Secretary at the time of the election. Is this acceptable to you? Is this the "strong and stable" that you want?

3. How is labour not grasping the nettle of the aging population challenge? They, like the tories, have accepted the need to spend some money and have put forward their proposals. The only difference is that it's a different offer to the public as to who should pay for it. But let's not go back into that circular yawn-fest again!

Watching May visibly wilt under the pressure of the press conference yesterday when, for the very first time, mainstream press actually put pressure on her was fascinating to watch. After only two questions her voice was straining under the pressure. She can't think on her feet or put over a fluent response to people who put an argument back to her. Guess she hasn't had much practice! No wonder the party won't allow her near a proper TV debate...

Last night I witnessed the most inept performance on national tv by any prospective PM , to tell the truth I was shocked at her lack of ability to think on her feet and even answer a straight question honestly , she was a wreck , I think even andrew neil was shocked by her performance .

She folded like a cheap table when neil grilled her , quite what the EU negotiating team will do to her is anybody's guess , clearly saying she's not Jeremy Corbyn is hardly likely to help deliver a favourable deal .

I suspect the tory hierarchy are already sharpening their knives and thinking of cutting their losses with weak and unstable .

They are having a car crash of a campaign with a manifesto written on the back of a box of fags , the real document with the coasting's listed will be published once they are elected , how nice .

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast