+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Whatsapp wiv dat rr?

Listening to

This Magic Moment - Jay and The Americans

Be My Baby - The Ronettes

Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals

Just taken delivery of 23 singles from the US. I will set my gear up Monday morning and play both sides of all of them once I have given them a good cleaning. My favourites from the pile are:

J J Barnes - Please let me in
    Otis Redding - Love man with Can't turn you loose on the flip
    Little Anthony & the Imperials - Better use your head
    Deon Jackson - Ooh baby
    Mary Love - Satisfied feeling
    Denise LaSalle - Married, but not to each other
    Jackie Wilson - Soul galore

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just taken delivery of 23 singles from the US. I will set my gear up Monday morning and play both sides of all of them once I have given them a good cleaning. My favourites from the pile are:

J J Barnes - Please let me in
    Otis Redding - Love man with Can't turn you loose on the flip
    Little Anthony & the Imperials - Better use your head
    Deon Jackson - Ooh baby
    Mary Love - Satisfied feeling
    Denise LaSalle - Married, but not to each other
    Jackie Wilson - Soul galore
    I think I'll make that wad my soundtrack for the evening MA

On the subject of the Otis song, co-writer/guitarist Steve Cropper once said:

"'I Can't Turn You Loose' was just a riff I'd used on a few songs with the MG's. Otis worked it up with the horns in about 10 minutes as the last thing we did one night in the studio. Just a riff and one verse that he sings over and over. That's all it is. With Otis, it was all about feeling and expression. Most of his songs had just two or three chord changes, so there wasn't a lot of music there. The dynamics, the energy, the way we attacked it - that's hard to teach. So many things now are computer-generated. They start at one level and they stop at the same level, so there isn't much dynamic, even if there are a lot of different sounds."

'Otis worked it up....in ten minutes'. There are legions of songwriters tried their whole lives and never got within a mile of writing a song that stirs the senses like this cut

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think I'll make that wad my soundtrack for the evening MA

On the subject of the Otis song, co-writer/guitarist Steve Cropper once said:

"'I Can't Turn You Loose' was just a riff I'd used on a few songs with the MG's. Otis worked it up with the horns in about 10 minutes as the last thing we did one night in the studio. Just a riff and one verse that he sings over and over. That's all it is. With Otis, it was all about feeling and expression. Most of his songs had just two or three chord changes, so there wasn't a lot of music there. The dynamics, the energy, the way we attacked it - that's hard to teach. So many things now are computer-generated. They start at one level and they stop at the same level, so there isn't much dynamic, even if there are a lot of different sounds."

'Otis worked it up....in ten minutes'. There are legions of songwriters tried their whole lives and never got within a mile of writing a song that stirs the senses like this cut
    Otis! I was too young to have been able to see him live but his voice is very moving and expressive. His stage presence, from what I have seen of videos of some of his concerts, is massive. I've got goose bumps just thinking about it. What a performer.

Otis! I was too young to have been able to see him live but his voice is very moving and expressive. His stage presence, from what I have seen of videos of some of his concerts, is massive. I've got goose bumps just thinking about it. What a performer.
    theres's a similar story about the first song Cropper and Redding wrote together: It was written as a response to a statement made by radio disc jockey Moohah Williams, when he nicknamed Redding as "Mr. Pitiful", because of sounding pitiful when singing ballads. Cropper heard this and had the idea to write a song with that name when taking a morning shower. Cropper then picked Redding up in his car on the way to the studio, asked how he felt about this idea, by the time they reached the studio the song had been written and they recorded it with the MG's in the first ten minutes of the session....

There is a football link in my twisted mind because I imaging Cropper/Redding stealing great soul songs from under the noses of others like Clough and Taylor snuck in for the likes of Hinton, MacFarland and Gemmill half a century ago

I didn't know the "pitiful" story. Interesting bit of trivia. Thanks!!

I didn't know the "pitiful" story. Interesting bit of trivia. Thanks!!
    As first heard by me in an excellent BBC radio documentary commemorating Otis' death maybe 30 years ago, and provenance assured by the fact that the story was told in the gorgeous Southern drawl of Mr Cropper himself.

To move us away from the Faber/Madamster soul love-in:

Just finished listening to:

The Black Stone Cherry performance on yesterday's Michael Ball show. Black Stone Cherry fly the flag for 'Southern Rock' (think Lynyrd Skynyrd, old farts), and although listening to Michael Ball talking to anyone outside his tight little luvvie bubble in cringeworthy, I thought the boys gave a good account of themselves (unlike fellow rockers Magnum a few weeks ago, who I thought missed the moment a bit), and social media during Sunday confirmed they were well-received. Always happy to see 'rock' strike a blow, however small, against the juggernaut of hip-hop

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    To move us away from the Faber/Madamster soul love-in:

Just finished listening to:

The Black Stone Cherry performance on yesterday's Michael Ball show. Black Stone Cherry fly the flag for 'Southern Rock' (think Lynyrd Skynyrd, old farts), and although listening to Michael Ball talking to anyone outside his tight little luvvie bubble in cringeworthy, I thought the boys gave a good account of themselves (unlike fellow rockers Magnum a few weeks ago, who I thought missed the moment a bit), and social media during Sunday confirmed they were well-received. Always happy to see 'rock' strike a blow, however small, against the juggernaut of hip-hop
    Strange that what today is perceived to be rock & roll, soul, R&B etc isn't anything like what those genres were "when we wuz lads". They may call it evolution or whatever but it aint rock & roll, soul, R&B anymore...... and don't get me started on EDM.... sheeesh!

Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)