+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The truth?

re: The truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus_6_Replicant
    ... his repetitive anti-Academy, anti-youth ...

With respect, there is very little Mike says that I can agree with but I think you'll find he is none of the above, (your 3rd point I will concede).

Not wishing to speak for someone who can clearly speak for themselves but in the interest of fairness, I'd suggest he seeks a greater BALANCE between youth and experience and not for CAFC to invest as heavily in the Academy, (hence cat3 over cat2 comments).
    The trouble with that argument is that Crewe are all about the Academy, it is central to their function, and maybe Dario continues to be at the core of that decision. If so, that's good enough for me!

All clubs have their ups and downs, especially at our level with clubs our size, but many just want to focus on our own frailties than look at the bigger picture.

In 1993, we lost a play-off final to York.
    In 1994, we were promoted alongside Shrewsbury, Chester and Wycombe.

With respect somerset, then we're clearly not reading the same posts or at least not coming to the same conclusions of what we're reading. I'm not sure what you think he's suggesting when he writes as per the following:

If one manager and a trainer with a sponge was good enough for most clubs in the good old/bad old days, why do we need all these hangers on anyway? The academy does one thing only and that is it provides an opportunity for young lads to kick a ball around 3 times a week and to get a bit fitter. You can do that anywhere like they do on the beaches of South America and Seve did when he self taught himself golf.

Please, do NOT fall for this vastly over rated 'coaching' mantra when it was Garry Player that said when a coach can play golf better than he could, he will listen to them.
    Yes, he'll state that he's after greater balance but he also posts great long-winded whinges about Academies, youth coaching etc. He quite clearly states on a regular basis tha

I agree he is anti-coaching, I said that above (reference to your "3rd point").
    I just don't think he is anti-academy, anti-youth, just anti-academy-centric, which is slightly different, that's how I read it anyway - but I could be wrong of course!

Thanks Somerset for your comments. You are always fair and considerate with your posts even if we have our differences and its livened the board up which is no bad thing for a discussion board. Its a common feature of most of them, that moaning and groaning brings out the best or worst of people. But we can see that most posts here are read hundreds or even thousands of times with most people obviously choosing to stay silent while we hope anyway that some enjoyment is provided to them.

Its like a BMW car forum I have read and posted on for years. Owners rarely join and discuss how 'good' the cars are but what is wrong with them and what needs doing etc. This board is no different. You are right though that nobody can see into our minds and can only go by what we write which is fair enough. I always say we should not allow any prejudices we have to spoil our greater passion and enjoyment that we love this club and want the best for it no matter what our views.

Have to go an

If the Academy pays for itself in the Long term then myself and many others, (even Mike S, would be in favour of this investment. However over the last decade the CA model appears to have run its course. What is becoming more apparent since the re-organisation of the Academy system, is that the PL clubs are becoming even more greedy and many of todays footballing youth seem to have less loyalty. The top clubs are cherry picking talent from the lower league club Academy's at will, with what appears to be derisory compensation, and even when talent emerges, they are now more easily swayed into deserting their parent club (O'Connor, Clayton, Roberts, now probably Colclough). If over time, the Academy cannot stand on its own two feet then it should cut its cloth accordingly, otherwise I can see many more supporters desert the Alex. Who wants to pay good money to see a lot of the drivel served up over the last two years.

Interesting that of the 4 players you use to illustrate your point that the academy is not working, only Gary Roberts did not produce a fee.

Occy went through the academy, into the first team and was sold by the Iceman for a fee believed to be in the region of £175,000.

Clayton attracted compensation in the order of £300,000 according to reports at the time.

Coco will not go without serious compo being paid by someone.

You've over-stepped the mark, the red line, MikeSB. I can handle your comments on Cat 2/Cat3, but now you've admitted to being a BMW driver.
    No and thrice no. As a dyed-in-the-wool Panzer (Mercedes) owner, I demand full capitulation.

The truth? That is that the Alex has committed its future to developing players through the Academy and I fully support that. Strangely, so do some of the most respected footballers in the country (I cite Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy).
    Come along to Kirby Muxloe on the evening of August 3. Not only will I buy you a drink, but you can discuss the future of the club with the Alex Chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    You've over-stepped the mark, the red line, MikeSB. I can handle your comments on Cat 2/Cat3, but now you've admitted to being a BMW driver.
    No and thrice no. As a dyed-in-the-wool Panzer (Mercedes) owner, I demand full capitulation.

The truth? That is that the Alex has committed its future to developing players through the Academy and I fully support that. Strangely, so do some of the most respected footballers in the country (I cite Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy).
    Come along to Kirby Muxloe on the evening of August 3. Not only will I buy you a drink, but you can discuss the future of the club with the Alex Chairman.
    Haha, very good AL. BMW capitulating to Mercedes Bums? Never! ...

If you are interested, I now have a 4 series Coupe 428i twin charged petrol engine and I bought it to attract the opposite *** and it worked as I get 85 year old women putting two fingers up, every time I go past!

I really like MB conver

To sum up then reading all the Posts
    If DG wants money for the Academy and SD wants money for the team,who is likely to win?,So when all of you who supports the Academy,dont start moaning next season when you see CA in the bottom 4 again after all thats what you wished for.Like MSB says the Academy is in 2 years arrears to date,bit like Greece but keep pumping money while the 1st team suffers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456