+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Squad 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Two first choice strikers has to be the top priority. A large part of the recruitment budget should be put aside and not diverted to other positions whoever comes up as available (i.e and we end up with too many midfielders again).

Don't like the 532 suggestion. Tootle and Jones are full backs who do their job and contribute going forward, we shouldn't touch that. Agree with hissing dwarf that the jury's out on our wingers. The 442 of this season was too predictable and not a perfect fit for our squad, so maybe a 4-3-3 or a midfield diamond next year to get Allesandra inside. Jones and Tootle can provide the width.

Anyway, exciting times. We're in a good position to do really well next year, if we can up our recruitment game.
    Agree with most of this, although I'm wary of the 4-3-3 idea because we seem to have a knack of turning it into one up front. If you're going to play with a front three, it needs to be comprised of three players who pose a genuine, proven goal scoring threat, not one centre-forward and two wingers masquerading as strikers. Unlike the Premier league, you don't find too many players at this level who can genuinely play both the winger and striker positions to the required level (a la Leroy Sane!), so it's a difficult tactic to employ.

June 30th.

Jones would be cr*p as a winger, his attacking abilities shine when he plays as a full back as they're good... For a full back, they often come into play by him over lapping and using his pace to get in behind, that wouldn't happen if he was the winger. He's never going to stand someone up and get past a player in a 1v1 like Grant/Grealish/Ince all did while being here.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Jones would be cr*p as a winger, his attacking abilities shine when he plays as a full back as they're good... For a full back, they often come into play by him over lapping and using his pace to get in behind, that wouldn't happen if he was the winger. He's never going to stand someone up and get past a player in a 1v1 like Grant/Grealish/Ince all did while being here.
    Fair point that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Agree with most of this, although I'm wary of the 4-3-3 idea because we seem to have a knack of turning it into one up front. If you're going to play with a front three, it needs to be comprised of three players who pose a genuine, proven goal scoring threat, not one centre-forward and two wingers masquerading as strikers. Unlike the Premier league, you don't find too many players at this level who can genuinely play both the winger and striker positions to the required level (a la Leroy Sane!), so it's a difficult tactic to employ.
    Sure. We shouldn't fall for the 4-3-3 one-up front con trick again. A front three would have to be something like
    Allesandra-Ameobi-Forte or the one that Warnock actually used Bartlett-Lund/Regis-Johnson. It's going to be interesting to see how Nolan CHOOSES to set up his team come August. Quality forward options needed whichever way he wants to go.

He's never going to stand someone up and get past a player in a 1v1 like Grant/Grealish/Ince all did while being here.
    Grant never went past a player like Grealish or Ince. I am struggling to remember him go past anyone at all

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    Grant never went past a player like Grealish or Ince. I am struggling to remember him go past anyone at all
    Agreed. Grant's a different type of player but he's not the 'wizard of dribble' that Grealish was/is on his day, that's for sure.

Grant's not in the same bracket as the other two but he's definitely scored a couple of goals by dropping a shoulder and creating space for a shot when up against a defender

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The goalkeeping position intrigues me. Do Fitzsimons and Pindroch move up a place and we look for a young third choice, or is Nolan looking for a new first choice keeper? I was a bit surprised Collin was shown the door, I marginally preferred him to Fitzsimons, and it appeared that Nolan thought the same way.
    I wouldnt be surprised if AH didnt have something to say about that....

Grant's not in the same bracket as the other two but he's definitely scored a couple of goals by dropping a shoulder and creating space for a shot when up against a defender
    Yes he's certainly got that going for him. Good player but in a different style.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast