+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Southend United Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
    Totally correct Mellow why do some people think when we beat a team they must have been shocking

You can only play as well as the opposing team let you and we definitely didn't let them play well today
    Because they were shocking. They were utter garbage. That is no discredit to our lads performance. An equally valid question would be why do some people assume that when you point out how bad the opposition were then that is an automatic criticism of how well our team did?

Fact is, Southend are a solid League One side with a good manager. They just missed out on the play offs last season. They have some good pros in their side. Todays match should, at least in theory, have been competitve. It wasn't, we hammered them. We played really well, played some skillful football, pressed hard and the scoreline reflects how well we did. Actually, the scoreline was deceiving because it should have been 8. Yes the fact we didn't allow them to play is a credit to our performance and effort, but equally the fact that an established League One side couldn't raise their game enough to keep the score respectable reflects how bad they were on the day.

We were very good, they were shocking. They couldn't compete. At this stage of the season it's difficult to gauge which of the two factors was the most telling, but I daresay they will regroup and have a decent season, we will gain confidence and perform well as a solid unit

Put it like this if we had this team last season and played like this we would not have gone down. Well done warney and the boyswe are proud miller's toneet.

...or we would at least have put up a far greater fight than the limp wristed surrender last year

refreshing change to hear an opposition manager say they are embarrassed for once

Some of the football we've played over the last two home games has been a joy to watch. The balance of the team feels right. For the last couple of years at least, we've had an unnatural mixture of cloggers, show ponies, shirkers and players who have tried hard but we're simply out of their depth. So far, and I know it's very early days, we look to have a nice balance of players who are all on the same wavelength, especially when building attacks. Well done Pep Warniola

Quote Originally Posted by gwru View Post
    I'm not moaning. Today was good. This league I watched abit of it last season. It's not a patch on last time we were in it. I'm thinking ahead. We are only getting Emmanuel fit could be while January. Moore if he can score goals won't be with us after January.
    The club knew that when they agreed to the loan. Let's just make the most of it. I understand you saying they are not our players BUT THEY ARE until Mick decides the go back. If Ipswich are playing well they won't go back until the end of the season and if it's January well so be it. Let's make the most of it. Gets the points racked up and the goals scored.

Are we the only team with loan players ?
    Is this a new phenomenon shock horror a team in league 1 has loan players.

Final say remember these words. Emmanuel is defensively better than Tavs but going forward not seen nothing from him. All I'm going to say about Vaulks, last season he proved he could play at Right back in the championship. Williams won't last. I wouldn't play him against Peterbora would play Vaulks in his place. Got to treat opposition with respect away from home especially a side that seems to unearth talent no matter how many players they have to sell.

That's the trouble with loan players being good, they could stay for season (don't think Ipswich will recall unless a player is out) they could go back in January and sent to another club (Izzy Brown)

I've been more impressed with Moore than Proctor (Warney's fav) since I've seen them play but still it's early let's just keep them fit and Frecks

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    That's the trouble with loan players being good, they could stay for season (don't think Ipswich will recall unless a player is out) they could go back in January and sent to another club (Izzy Brown)

I've been more impressed with Moore than Proctor (Warney's fav) since I've seen them play but still it's early let's just keep them fit and Frecks
    To be fair MT Proctor had a direct hand in 4 of yesterday's goals , he did some brilliant work but didn't score himself

"Put it like this if we had this team last season and played like this we would not have gone down. Well done warney and the boyswe are proud miller's toneet"

This was a bridge too far - for me!

This league is Sunday League -
    Simply NO comparison can be made to the championship.

Warnsey lead the planned relegation to a level we could afford. Where the team and manager could get away with murder and the opposition would not punish our mistakes.

Every player we had during the championship and who have come into the club look better - because they are playing with the freedom of a charity game - it was like an exhibition match -with back flicks and goals scored from big boots upfield.

This league makes us the larger fish in a smaller pond ....... no natural predictors - although Fleetwood outworked us and showed some of our difficiencies.
    ( conceding a goal from a throw-in ! )

Peterborough will be a good test....but the high tempo - high pressing game is the "Rotherham way"..... and will work IN THIS LEAGUE.

But - as for survival last year - a championship side wouldn't have been so accommodating as Southend was. Probably a 1 - 3 result yesterday.....enjoy but don't get too heady.....it's a poor league.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast