+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol absolutely smashed by Villa.

Spot on JJ

It really is more than an old wives tale about small town Sheffield mentality.
    God help us ever actually f u ck ing really having a go.

My old Dad used told tell me about clubs that didn’t want to go up including United at certain times in my early days of supporting Sheffield’s Finest.

I wouldn’t hear anything wrong said about United back then and it’d probably end in words with me saying what a stupid concept. But of course over the years I can think of several occasions where clubs at all levels seemed to pull the plug on their team and manager when in good league positions, usually by selling off their best players or not backing a manager. One common supposed reason was the prohibitive cost of bringing their ground up to standard but that’s not the case with United, it’s already a Premier League ground in waiting. Everything is good to go, I can’t think of one reason why we shouldn’t try and pull out all the stops right now so let’s hope we doubters are proved wrong, and if we can hold onto Brooks as well, he’ll soon be worth double if we go up and we can sell him if we don’t. Win-win all around and probably McCabe’s best chance to go out in a blaze of glory and even make a decent profit on the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    You're right, the foundations for us to go straight up weren't there at the beginning of the season
    But they are now
    I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the foundations in the squad. Our first 11, with Wilders drive and and all that, got us top of the league. Take four or five out of that, and we've been in relegation form ever since. That's not to say we can't find a few players who have been out of favour at other clubs who can be the answer to all our prayers, but I don't remember the last one to come in in January and have a significant effect on us (anyone..?).

So...should we spend now. Yes absolutely. I'm not advocating that we just accept we're slipping down to 10th on the grounds that 'would be great in our first year back'. On the other hand, we really should consider if now is the right time to chuck in the big cash and chase the dream. Our form over the last 10 games makes me think that this is not one or two players. We probably need another half a dozen who can genuinely challenge for a place, not be an obvious second choice. We need players who can put Fleck and Duff on the bench, not hope for a chance if they get suspended, as an example. Can we get those mid-season? That would make me put more emphasis on the summer buying. Just my opinion.

UTB

I don't think that most sensible Blades fans are either wanting or expecting us to spend stupid money on overpaid mercenaries who won't fit in to the Tufty ethos of the squad.

But there is an expectation that Tufty will be adequately resourced to be competitive in the top 6 of the League, given the great work he's already done on a limited budget.

Totally agree ..... its not a requirement of success that a Club spends huge amounts on fees & wages but its clear for all to see that our squad is quite thin and requires augmenting quickly if we are to capitalise upon the good position we're currently in.

If we don't, then we can expect that we will fall away and finish perhaps 8th - 10th which would be a shame after the early season promise.

I don't think its likely that Tufty's asking for £10m to spend; he knows that's pie in the sky, but I'm guessing he wants about £4m ish which is much more realistic and would enable us to bring in 2/3 quality players and maybe use loans effectively as well.

We need to replace players like Hanson, Lavery, Carruthers with players who don't weaken the first 11, but go toe-to-toe with the first 11 for a place and genuinely strengthen the squad ........ that will make us competitive in the second half of the season and I trust Tufty to bring in the right quality of player, with the right attitude, IF he is supported by the Board.

I'm not expecting that we are told now that Tufty has lots of money to spend; that would be a foolish negotiating strategy ....... but if we get through the transfer window and its clear that he's been told to make do with scraps ....... then the Board should rightly expect the wrath of the long suffering supporters.

Above taken from an S2 poster.
    That is absolutely bang on and I suspect no-one would disagree with a word.
    Anyone so doing should probably go watch Hallam.

But, the foundations for us to get promotion this year are NOT there. We've lost 10 so far and with 20 games left we can't get auto IMO.

The day CW says the board didn't back him is the day I agree with the 'sh*t of bust' brigade.

I still say the best window to buy is in the summer.......we need to progress at the right pace in this league and build a team capable of going up and then staying up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    But, the foundations for us to get promotion this year are NOT there. We've lost 10 so far and with 20 games left we can't get auto IMO.

The day CW says the board didn't back him is the day I agree with the 'sh*t of bust' brigade.

I still say the best window to buy is in the summer.......we need to progress at the right pace in this league and build a team capable of going up and then staying up.
    You haven't really read that post properly and if you have to say the foundations aren't there displays a very basic lack of knowledge about what has happened and is happening at the Lane.
    Foundations are just that. They need building on to construct a solid,durable,watertight structure,
    It is the building on stage we are at. Not the excavation for laying foundations.
    You display exactly the traits that have kept us happy to be 3rd rate for 150 years. And I say that with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post

Agree 100% Chips - nobody wants the Blades to go up more than me, but if we don't this season, it really isn't the end of the world. Another season in the Championship continuing to strengthen will do us more good in the long term. Either result is a positive IMHO. As long as we keep Tufty!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Agree 100% Chips - nobody wants the Blades to go up more than me, but if we don't this season, it really isn't the end of the world. Another season in the Championship continuing to strengthen will do us more good in the long term. Either result is a positive IMHO. As long as we keep Tufty!
    But as Wednesday and even ourselves in past have found out, building up and just missing out doesn’t guarantee eventual promotion Aya. There’s nothing to say that next season we’ll be better, this might be our best chance of going up in a decade because of the money clubs coming down from the Premier League and the best we can do is hold our own our struggle to stay in the division.

We’ve still got massive momentum and I don’t think we should underestimate how far it can take us.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the foundations in the squad. Our first 11, with Wilders drive and and all that, got us top of the league. Take four or five out of that, and we've been in relegation form ever since.
    If literally any other team in this league lost four or five of their first eleven I'm sure they'd struggle too. That's what the transfer market is for.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast