+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The annual where are we going to finish prediction thread.

The bookmakers seem to think we are favourites for top spot. The PSFs suggest struggle. So taking the middle path, I'll go for 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Well let's see he can do with a much better squad. I hope he proves me wrong, but somehow I doubt it.
    He already has proved you wrong!
    After the Christmas break you repeatedly said we would freefall out of the play offs, but we didn’t! You of all people I’m guessing would have taken play offs this time last year yet it’s now some sort of failure!
    Promotion last season with that squad of players would have been a phenomenal achievement. So your opinion of Nolan is astounding....although I do believe you like to play the fool for attention.
    If we’ve got a squad of players that are now fit to win the league, why should we be worried if he’s only got one style of play? Let’s play our game and let the opposition worry about us! I don’t remember Cotterill tinkering with formations too much during our Munto season!

The pre-season has definitely definitely dampened expectations, but maybe that’s a good thing. The choice of friendlies hasn’t helped, with us chasing shadows against Derby and Leicester, and then barely registering a shot at Luton. And I f we had to play two games on the final Saturday before the season starts to give everyone game time, that suggests to me we didn’t plan the pre-season very well. Then again, Mansfield have beaten Derby, Wednesday and Rotherham in pre-season - but does mean they will win their first game?

Hard to see us being anything other than a bit clueless when we kick off next week, given the lack of cohesion or shape thus far. None of the new signings has come in and shone - in fact, the only excitement seems to have been generated by some of our kids. The frustrating thing has been that we signed most of the players nice and early for once, but injuries have prevented us from playing them all together. Dennis, Patching and Kellett have barely figured, so it’s hard to gauge their quality. Same with Oxlade-Chamberlain, who only joins us on Wednesday.

It appears the one thing we’ve learned is that you can’t play two wingers with Vaughan and Hewitt in the middle of the park, although not sure KN will see it like that. If we sign one player this week, I hope it’s an athletic, ball-winning midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He is good at motivating and that's about it.
    I sort of of see a point there Durham
    But
    You say he is good at motivating??
    A new manger to the game takes time to learn his trade often made by mistakes
    Look at the great sir Alec Ferguson of man utd
    What a dreadful run his team were having with all them good players
    Was nearly ousted at man utd
    Then goes onto achieving what he did at the club.
    So I see why Nolan may not have the nowse atm in the areas that will make him an outstanding manager
    But he loves the game and i have no doubt will learn from past mistakes.
    Those that learn from mistakes and use them to move forward almost definatly succeed

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The pre-season has definitely definitely dampened expectations, but maybe that’s a good thing. The choice of friendlies hasn’t helped, with us chasing shadows against Derby and Leicester, and then barely registering a shot at Luton. And I f we had to play two games on the final Saturday before the season starts to give everyone game time, that suggests to me we didn’t plan the pre-season very well. Then again, Mansfield have beaten Derby, Wednesday and Rotherham in pre-season - but does mean they will win their first game?

Hard to see us being anything other than a bit clueless when we kick off next week, given the lack of cohesion or shape thus far. None of the new signings has come in and shone - in fact, the only excitement seems to have been generated by some of our kids. The frustrating thing has been that we signed most of the players nice and early for once, but injuries have prevented us from playing them all together. Dennis, Patching and Kellett have barely figured, so it’s hard to gauge their quality. Same with Oxlade-Chamberlain, who only joins us on Wednesday.

It appears the one thing we’ve learned is that you can’t play two wingers with Vaughan and Hewitt in the middle of the park, although not sure KN will see it like that. If we sign one player this week, I hope it’s an athletic, ball-winning midfielder.
    You've nailed it with that post.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    I sort of of see a point there Durham
    But
    You say he is good at motivating??
    A new manger to the game takes time to learn his trade often made by mistakes
    Look at the great sir Alec Ferguson of man utd
    What a dreadful run his team were having with all them good players
    Was nearly ousted at man utd
    Then goes onto achieving what he did at the club.
    So I see why Nolan may not have the nowse atm in the areas that will make him an outstanding manager
    But he loves the game and i have no doubt will learn from past mistakes.
    Those that learn from mistakes and use them to move forward almost definatly succeed
    I never get the fergy comment. Before man United he was a successful manager, he didn't learn his trade at utd.

That being said Nolan has already showing signs of learning and adapting. Brought back forte when he could quite easily stuck with the lads who played most of the season.

I'm genuinely looking forward to this season but would not be upset if we didn't make the top 3. Nolan is going to be a big manager and I'm happy he is coming up through us

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    I never get the fergy comment. Before man United he was a successful manager, he didn't learn his trade at utd.

That being said Nolan has already showing signs of learning and adapting. Brought back forte when he could quite easily stuck with the lads who played most of the season.

I'm genuinely looking forward to this season but would not be upset if we didn't make the top 3. Nolan is going to be a big manager and I'm happy he is coming up through us
    Where did I say fergie learnt his trade at man utd
    What I was saying is that for the knowledge he had of the game he was nearly ousted from man utd
    Then I think he learnt about the game even more so and went to the next level.
    The hard times he had that season taught him one heck of a lesson
    I await your reply with interest

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post

I agree that we need an athletic, ball-winning midfielder, but I don't understand why we have already managed to collect far too many CMs without managing to get the right type in. If we do sign a ball-winner, what does that mean for Husin, Patching and Crawford?

‘Ball winning midfielders’ have evolved. It is no longer the smash everything that moves and intimidate like the good old days of Vinny Jones or Paul Harding. It is much much eloquent than that these days. Simply nicking back possession. The changes to the laws of our fine game have seen to that.
    Many of the goals we have conceded have come from mistakes, whether poor defending, a poor pass or a dropped catch. Not because of a lack of ‘ball winning’ in the middle of the park.
    Most teams in our division play direct football, so the midfield in that sense needs to make sure it is goal side of there midfield for any knock downs or when our defenders win headers etc.. so that possession can be won back and retained. I think our midfield is fine, I can see us hurting a lot of teams once we gel. I can see the emergence of a few of the younger lads like Crawford, Patching and Dongde He through the season when injuries and suspensions kick in. We will probably stumble on to our strongest 11 through luck than judgement, but that is only because I think the squad is that strong.
    COYP’s

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    Where did I say fergie learnt his trade at man utd
    What I was saying is that for the knowledge he had of the game he was nearly ousted from man utd
    Then I think he learnt about the game even more so and went to the next level.
    The hard times he had that season taught him one heck of a lesson
    I await your reply with interest
    There is no comparison with Nolan and Fergie in his early Man Utd days, one is a complete novice the other had already won a European trophy. Fergie was far better equipped experience wise and financially also than Nolan could ever be.
    Last edited by i961pie; 30-07-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast