+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Worst Notts County manager ever

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    As someone mentioned earlier, threads like this do no good for the soul as it is a reminder that over my 45 years of supporting, I've witnessed some real rubbish managers at the Lane!

Always surprises me how high someone like Keith Curle is on lists like this. My resounding memory from his period was...we were bloody boring...so surprised to see how well we actually did on reflection.
    Curle's HOME PPG ratio for the 2nd season he was in charge (his last 14 games at Meadow Lane) dropped down to 1.29, which is the same as Derry's overall home PPG.

Away, Curle's overall PPG was 1.82, which is the 3rd best of all time behind Cotterill and Kevan(2nd spell). Russell Slade incidentally is the worst ever manager on the road with an appalling 0.13 PPG and 88% away loss rate.

Fullarton was the worst ever at home on 0.20 after completing just 5 Meadow Lane fixtures, though Maynard currently has an identical home record (W0 D1 L4) but with -7 GD as opposed to Fullarton's -8.

For me it’s all about perception mainly of Maynard and many have wrote him off due to him coming from part time.
    If we had a manager come in that was highly regarded by most of the fans most would say it was the team, sighting Williams only got 3 points extra in the reverse fixtures of the 8 games.
    I don’t know if he’s good enough or not but sighting he’s not up to it because he’s come from part time is a pretty low shot as it doesn’t mean he’s not capable but just working his way up the pyramid, not everyone gets afforded the free passes like Rooney and Lampard etc.
    Kieran McKennas only really been an academy coach, never had a playing career and he’s doing unbelievable well, it’s not always about the CV but what someone can bring, for me give him to the end of season.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-03-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    For me it’s all about perception mainly of Maynard and many have wrote him off due to him coming from part time.
    If we had a manager come in that was highly regarded by most of the fans most would say it was the team, sighting Williams only got 3 points extra in the reverse fixtures of the 8 games.
    I don’t know if he’s good enough or not but sighting he’s not up to it because he’s come from part time is a pretty low shot as it doesn’t mean he’s not capable but just working his way up the pyramid, not everyone gets afforded the free passes like Rooney and Lampard etc.
    Kieran McKennas only really been an academy coach, never had a playing career and he’s doing unbelievable well, it’s not always about the CV but what someone can bring, for me give him to the end of season.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    sighting Williams only got 3 points extra in the reverse fixtures of the 8 games.
    As I've already pointed out, that's not a fair like for like comparison as Maynard has had 5 of that 8 game sample at home as opposed to Williams 3 from 8..... and 2 of Williams 3 home games were against Wrexham and Mansfield (the two home games he lost whilst Maynard has lost at home to Sutton who are bottom and Gillingham who LW beat away, as well as Crewe and Wimbledon).
    We've collected 31 points at home, 16 away, so the venue does make a very big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    As I've already pointed out, that's not a fair like for like comparison as Maynard has had 5 of that 8 game sample at home as opposed to Williams 3 from 8..... and 2 of Williams 3 home games were against Wrexham and Mansfield (the two home games he lost whilst Maynard has lost at home to Sutton who are bottom and Gillingham who LW beat away, as well as Crewe and Wimbledon).
    We've collected 31 points at home, 16 away, so the venue does make a very big difference.
    True but then I would also say for 4 or 5 of those games we had Palmer and as ridiculous as it sounds I put quite a bit of emphasis on the loss of him. Bostock up to his injury was playing pretty good too, there’s so many variables but my point is more the perception being unfair.

Without having to trawl through posts and missing something, what time period are you comparing LW and SM? I get the SM games but what period are the LW comparison games?

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Without having to trawl through posts and missing something, what time period are you comparing LW and SM? I get the SM games but what period are the LW comparison games?
    The comparisons being made include 3 LW losses after he'd been linked with the Oxford job, v Wrexham, Crewe and Wimbledon, with one of the players admitting at the time in a Radio Nottm interview that it was worrying them.

Thanks.

The comparisons being made include 3 LW losses after he'd been linked with the Oxford job, v Wrexham, Crewe and Wimbledon, with one of the players admitting at the time in a Radio Nottm interview that it was worrying them.
    Who was that? I must have missed it.

I'm sure Luke would have told them he'd had no contact with Oxford, which he hadn't. There was never any approach from Oxford made.

If that's true and effected their performances then we are really in trouble.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast