+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 691 of 923 FirstFirst ... 191591641681689690691692693701741791 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,910 of 9222

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Me thinks your taking rA's comments out of context! he certainly wasn't claiming its a massive inconvenience, just an added bit of cost, trouble that wasn't there before. Of course add in things like the 90 day limit on stays in the EU, and other hassles and for some people, its certainly not a benefit of Brexit to have more complicated arrangements.

The impact on business, especially those that sell direct to the consumer from the Uk is much more severe, exactly why i was advising such firms to set up subsidiaries within the Eu, or even relocate their HQ's there, despite some questioning that the Uk would be dumb enough to agree a deal which saw such added extra costs.

My response was simple - theres a reason arch Brexit supporters like the Dyson's and Rees-Moggs are shifting their HQ and business operations abroad! Sure enough it has come to pass. of course I feel sympathy for the lost jobs and lost revenue to the UK, even more for the millions we will lose in services, but hey ho apparently we voted for that!
    Thank you, Swale...he is...and deliberately so.
    It was a throw away comment about yet another negative impact of Brexit upon, not just me but, millions of UK travellers and visitors.
    The point of the post was that...in my own tiny way I experienced today my first firsthand frustration of a negative impact of Brexit.
    A task that had previoussly been no more complicated than posting a package somewhere in the UK has suddenly become more expensive and much more complex in terms of form filling.
    Didn’t think I’d have to explain it twice...but imagine how difficult that is for people from MA to those who depend on cross border trade.

P.S. Andy...tbh I had never been on a plane until five weeks after 9/11. Been on hundreds since but air travel was prohibitively expensive and all our family trips involved ferries and cars...I still look on with genuine amazement at old films with people casually smoking on board.
    Imagine you’re referring to the impact of terrorism and the extra time one has to spend in airports as a result. I’ve never known anything different but I imagine it must be annoying for you.
    It’s also essential imo...as will be the likely Covid vaccination checks...and that’s the difference, hold ups for reasons of safety are entirely necessary. Hold ups and other travel complications brought about by Brexit taking us back to the red tape of 1950’s are entirely self inflicted.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-01-2021 at 04:33 PM.

SWALE: Absolutely thats exactly the answer if you are a big organisation that has the knowhow and finance to do it. I saw it all the time in the three years leading up to brexit as (not just paper) EU companies were set up in UK insurance company groups to accommodate doing EU business.

But the small businesses are the ones to suffer, especially those that trade B2C online, with costs rising and the problem that has come to light with returned goods - being cheaper to burn the returns rather than pay the costs of reimporting. This mostly will hit mom n pop type "facebook businesses" who export but also intermediate sized ones that perhaps are doing it for more than pin money.

The 90 day limit on stays in EU is interesting - I wonder if it will mean the forced repatriation of Spain's costa del crime residents or whether they can/will apply for EU nationality of convenience? There never was going to be any benefit in brexit for the "house in the sun" brigade - legal or extradition avoidance - but those who have such places are amongst your "new elite" and allegedly deserve to suffer for the common good of keeping Romanians and Poles out

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

P.S. Andy...tbh I had never been on a plane until five weeks after 9/11. Been on hundreds since but air travel was prohibitively expensive and all our family trips involved ferries and cars...I still look on with genuine amazement at old films with people casually smoking on board.
    Imagine you’re referring to the impact of terrorism and the extra time one has to spend in airports as a result. I’ve never known anything different but I imagine it must be annoying for you.
    It’s also essential imo...as will be the likely Covid vaccination checks...and that’s the difference, hold ups for reasons of safety are entirely necessary. Hold ups and other travel complications brought about by Brexit taking us back to the red tape of 1950’s are entirely self inflicted.
    I wasn't JUST referring to the impact of terrorism, although it was the single biggest 'hit' on the carefree days of the 80s and I do find it difficult to argue against folk who give 'clearly South Asian' folk a wide berth, even now. But there's the general move towards risk-averseness, the reduction in behaviour/increase in entitlement of passengers and obsession on the part of Airports and airlines with squeezing every last sheckle out of a captive audience that all impact negatively on the enjoyment of the flight experience. I agree that Brexit will add to it for EU trips but its just a small part of the mix

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I wasn't JUST referring to the impact of terrorism, although it was the single biggest 'hit' on the carefree days of the 80s and I do find it difficult to argue against folk who give 'clearly South Asian' folk a wide berth, even now.
    Really? I honestly can’t quite believe you’ve said that.
    God help you if you ever find yourself sitting next to a catholic on a Ryan Air flight, or are they somehow different?

Any particular ‘clearly South Asian folk’, or are they all to be avoided?

Really? I honestly can’t quite believe you’ve said that.
    God help you if you ever find yourself sitting next to a catholic on a Ryan Air flight, or are they somehow different?

Any particular ‘clearly South Asian folk’, or are they all to be avoided?
    I didn't say I did it rA, just found it difficult to argue against folk who did/do. Who am I to moralise with people who are just exercising risk averseness? It happened to me last night, a number of folk gave me a miss during my evening walk for no other reason than I was wearing a borrowed dappy hat and black puffa jacket, making me look (I now realise) a thug.

Do ‘thugs’ wear ‘dappy hats’? Wouldn’t have thought so...maybe it was something else.

Not moralising...but I wouldn’t find it at all difficult to ‘argue against’ people who give ‘South Asian folk a wide berth’. Why would they?

Do ‘thugs’ wear ‘dappy hats’? Wouldn’t have thought so...maybe it was something else.

Not moralising...but I wouldn’t find it at all difficult to ‘argue against’ people who give ‘South Asian folk a wide berth’. Why would they?
    OK I looked a stupid thug. Impressed you know what a dappy hat is

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    SWALE: Absolutely thats exactly the answer if you are a big organisation that has the knowhow and finance to do it. I saw it all the time in the three years leading up to brexit as (not just paper) EU companies were set up in UK insurance company groups to accommodate doing EU business.

But the small businesses are the ones to suffer, especially those that trade B2C online, with costs rising and the problem that has come to light with returned goods - being cheaper to burn the returns rather than pay the costs of reimporting. This mostly will hit mom n pop type "facebook businesses" who export but also intermediate sized ones that perhaps are doing it for more than pin money.

The 90 day limit on stays in EU is interesting - I wonder if it will mean the forced repatriation of Spain's costa del crime residents or whether they can/will apply for EU nationality of convenience? There never was going to be any benefit in brexit for the "house in the sun" brigade - legal or extradition avoidance - but those who have such places are amongst your "new elite" and allegedly deserve to suffer for the common good of keeping Romanians and Poles out

Hang on a minute! Not so long ago you were claiming the average millionaire (albeit on paper) in this country with an average pension and detached house was an ordinary person. Now apparently these same people are amongst the new elite - make your mind up both propositions can't be true.

In any case many of the people who went to live or work abroad are far from any elite as you describe them, many are average working people who saved up and bought a home abroad to make use of in their retirement or even to retire to or those who work abroad, enabled by the UK's membership of the EU.

You'd struggle to describe any of these people whose dreams, hopes and lives have been affected as part of the new elite, but it shows the extent of your self centred narrow perspective that you have described them as such, without actually knowing anything about them!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I didn't say I did it rA, just found it difficult to argue against folk who did/do. Who am I to moralise with people who are just exercising risk averseness? It happened to me last night, a number of folk gave me a miss during my evening walk for no other reason than I was wearing a borrowed dappy hat and black puffa jacket, making me look (I now realise) a thug.
    I think they were more scared of catching Covid--19 than anything else but may be your ego thinks otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

B2C - I highlighted how it affects the small seller yesterday and you are right GP

Costa del Crime - I'm not sure of the precise regs in Spain but they aren't dissimilar to those here in NL or other EU countries. Namely, UK expats were given regular notice over the past 4 years of negotiating as to what they needed to do to be able to remain a resident in their chosen EU home. That gave them the chance to apply for resident status, which doesn't require the need to apply for citizenship and the possible giving up of their British nationality. Those with resident status in, for instance, Spain, can come and go between the UK and Spain as often as they like. That freedom doesn't extend to other EU countries though. On other EU countries they would still be subject to the 90 day rule.

Page 691 of 923 FirstFirst ... 191591641681689690691692693701741791 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)