+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Justin Fashanu to be inducted into Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t aware of the possible criminal charges against him(in a state where homo***uality was illegal at the time), but I’m guessing many of the people spouting guff about political correctness weren’t either.

I still think he deserves a place in the HoF for his courage in coming out, and as DSR says, that’s something we should, as Notts fans, be quite proud about.
    The word "minor" as posted earlier up the thread implies that it was a young child, but for anybody who doesn't know it was a 17 year old he'd picked up in bar and Fash insisted in his suicide note that it was consensual.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    for anybody who doesn't know it was a 17 year old he'd picked up in bar and Fash insisted in his suicide note that it was consensual.
    And Justin was 37 years old I believe ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t aware of the possible criminal charges against him(in a state where homo***uality was illegal at the time), but I’m guessing many of the people spouting guff about political correctness weren’t either.

I still think he deserves a place in the HoF for his courage in coming out, and as DSR says, that’s something we should, as Notts fans, be quite proud about.
    Homo***uality wasn't illegal at the time, it was decriminalised in 1967. However, I do realise you're not one for checking the facts Pat.
    Last edited by navypie; 20-02-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Homo***uality wasn't illegal at the time, it was decriminalised in 1967. However, I do realise you're not one for checking the facts Pat.
    You're talking about the UK law with 1967 though, right? Where he mentions 'state' it's because the incident with Fashanu and the 17-year-old happened in Maryland, USA. So it was all subject to US law and not UK law.

Also didn't help that they'd been drinking and the legal age for drinking over there was 21.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    You're talking about the UK law with 1967 though, right? Where he mentions 'state' it's because the incident with Fashanu and the 17-year-old happened in Maryland, USA. So it was all subject to US law and not UK law.

Also didn't help that they'd been drinking and the legal age for drinking over there was 21.
    Yeah, missed that bit, seems I didn't check my facts. Can you pass my sincerest apologies onto my good friend.

ps. Maryland....2013.....wow !
    Last edited by navypie; 20-02-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    I'm very pleased you think it's great. Perhaps the fact that when he committed suicide he was on the run from the US Police who wanted to arrest him for ***ual assault on a minor, is not just cause to exclude him from the Hall of Fame. As I asked earlier, why has he been inducted?
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    And Justin was 37 years old I believe ?
    And? You're all castigating him for something you don't know the facts of and sounds like he said she said, would you be happy being charged on that evidence? The homophobia lurking beneath the thin veneer of civilisation on this thread is startling. If you hold religious views and don't agree then fair enough but that doesn't mean their wrong, from my understanding is you don't choose to be gay so yet again we're in the realm of hating people because of what they were born like. Wrong on so many levels, I'm just glad I was born white and straight as life is hard enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    And? You're all castigating him for something you don't know the facts of and sounds like he said she said, would you be happy being charged on that evidence? The homophobia lurking beneath the thin veneer of civilisation on this thread is startling. If you hold religious views and don't agree then fair enough but that doesn't mean their wrong, from my understanding is you don't choose to be gay so yet again we're in the realm of hating people because of what they were born like. Wrong on so many levels, I'm just glad I was born white and straight as life is hard enough as it is.
    .......and a Notts County to boot.

Ha ha I wouldn't change that for the world mate, best club ever.

You're not all there, Navel.

By today's standards a 37 year old and a 17 year old is a major issue in itself, back then a 37 year old man with a 17 year old female wouldn't have been such a big deal, indeed let's not forget The Sun was printing topless pictures of 16 year olds not too long beforehand.
    I'm assuming Fash presumed he was 21, seeing that he was in a bar drinking, but whatever the case, Fash paid for that terrible mistake with his life.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast