+ Visit West Ham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Youth Progressing This Season

re: Youth Progressing This Season

Quote Originally Posted by bonzosbest74
    I don't know too much about the way the B Team structure works but I do know that the Spanish teams are looking to scrap the idea because it's not working. A player progressing from the B team into Barca or Madrid's first IV is a rarity and definitely doesn't warrant the huge money it costs to run a second club.

The foreign feeder club seems to be the way things are going, Anderlecht have recently purchased Charlton and started placing many of their talented youngsters into the squad. As things stand I think it's illegal to own two clubs in this country and it's also pretty expensive so the best move would be to buy a small Dutch or Belgium club.
    Don't really see why running a "B" team should be more expensive than running the Development Squad which, logically, it would replace.

Agree it's a rarity for a player to progress from Real's "B" team, although there are examples of Barca players doing so. And couldn't that be becau

an interesting comment regarding youth policy, perhaps indirectly connected tofeeder, B teams, etc...

World Cup 2014: German youth policy pays off in Brazil

Germany's youth policy paid off as they became world champions for the fourth time.

Six of their World Cup-winning squad played in the side which beat England 4-0 in the 2009 European Championship Under-21s final.

James Milner was the only England player from that game to play at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The Germans beat Argentina 1-0 in Sunday's final, while England went out of the competition in the group stages.

Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, defenders Mats Hummels, Benedikt Howedes and Jerome Boateng and midfielders Sami Khedira and Mesut Ozil started against England in the youth final.

Only the injured Khedira did not start against Argentina.

Since that final in Malmo five years ago, Ozil won La Liga with Real Madrid before making a AŁ42.4m move to Arsenal last September.

or this from Neville..

World Cup 2014: England cannot copy Germany - Gary Neville

England coach Gary Neville says it is impossible for the team to replicate Germany's model to win the World Cup.

Germany won the 2014 tournament in Brazil on Sunday with coach Joachim Low saying the victory was the result of a 10-year project to develop players.

England were eliminated from the World Cup after two Group D games.

"People who write - 'England should follow the German route' are oblivious to the obstacle or believe in magic wands!" tweeted Neville.

A response to Neville stated that Germany did not use "magic wands" to which the former Manchester United right-back answered: "No but a Holistic approach! Won't happen here."

Neville added: "Course it would be great to follow that route but you may as well say 'England needs weather like Spain'."

Six of the German squad that won the 2014 World Cup were part of the side that beat England in the European Under-21 Championship in June 20

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyman
    I don't know too much about the way the B Team structure works but I do know that the Spanish teams are looking to scrap the idea because it's not working. A player progressing from the B team into Barca or Madrid's first IV is a rarity and definitely doesn't warrant the huge money it costs to run a second club.

The foreign feeder club seems to be the way things are going, Anderlecht have recently purchased Charlton and started placing many of their talented youngsters into the squad. As things stand I think it's illegal to own two clubs in this country and it's also pretty expensive so the best move would be to buy a small Dutch or Belgium club.
    Don't really see why running a "B" team should be more expensive than running the Development Squad which, logically, it would replace.

Agree it's a rarity for a player to progress from Real's "B" team, although there are examples of Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironworks1

Agree it's a rarity for a player to progress from Rea

Come off it

There were so many at Stevenage because it was the first pre-season friendly - people are starved of West Ham.

Every week though? We'd take no-one to away games - lower leagues clubs would suffer further. Interest in home games would massively dwindle - it's hard enough filling our ground when we're down a league.

But, going back to my second point, if few players come through why do it? What's the benefit over what's happening now? Why is it not really working in other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyman

Money mate.

The development squad can legally play their home games at Chadwell Heath, they don't need their own sponsorship deal and they can use our kits. Basically the only additional cost to West Ham is the coach fare for away games.

The football Lg would not allow a West Ham B team to operate in such a way, Castilla (Madrids B team) play in their own stadium, have their own sponsorship deals, separate training complex and basically have to do everything all the other clubs do in the Spanish 2nd division.

It would cost a fortune to create a whole new club. . . . . . . .much easier and cheaper to purchase Genk.

In reality I think you'd get a small crowd, probably about the size most Div 1 & 2 teams get. You'd get kids and people who simply can't afford to go to home matches, never mind away ones.

I bet there were a few at Stevenage who were there to see West Ham who would love to go more often but can't afford to.

You and I are fortunate. We can both afford it, although I no longer attend. Not everyone is in the same boat and I think a B team would be watched. And probably by more people than currently attend Dev Squad matches.

Imo it's worth a try. It may not work but if we don't try it we'll never know.

Still banging on about this B Team bollox, Whisky?

FFS give it a rest man, you've been droning on for years, it's a w.ank idea, and will never happen over here, regardless of how often you say it.

The trouble is Whiskey, there's no real evidence to support your opinion on crowd sizes from other countries with a B team system. We'd be bucking the trend.

In Germany and Holland they average well under 1000 fans, and we all know how good attendances are in Germany.

Just can't see this as a good idea myself. I'm open to persuasion but there's not one precedent I can find where it's proven to be beneficial.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)