+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 70 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    They'll hang on like limpet mines Sith and continue to do as much damage!
    Regrettably I think you are right, however, they are clearly losing hope.

Problem is that Labour's policies hardly deviate from the Tory ones on so many things. IMO, anybody expecting a more social society under Starmer would be extremely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Problem is that Labour's policies hardly deviate from the Tory ones on so many things. IMO, anybody expecting a more social society under Starmer would be extremely disappointed.
    We just need change i think, I think Starmer is a good man just have my doubts in his ability to be a strong PM, I keep getting John Major vibes I dunno.

I've said it before and still believe Rayner would make a better leader.

Silly Billy MP but to be honest they’re both wasting their breath

Is it just my perception, the fact that actions are more closely recorded and scrutinised these days or just the ‘quality’ (or otherwise) of MP’s in this day and age that makes me think that the behaviour of our Parliamentary representatives has reached an almost daily new low?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 03-11-2023 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Is it just my perception, the fact that actions are more closely recorded and scrutinised these days or just the ‘quality’ (or otherwise) of MP’s in this day and age that makes me think that the behaviour of our Parliamentary representatives has reached an almost daily new low?
    I see it as a parallel universe rA - those in the media spotlight are judged by an imagined new set of benchmarks that most of the population (of the world but let’s just stick to U.K. for now) are getting nowhere near and for the most part not even trying to. In this particular case his words are not just illegal but futile, BUT the lines of argument thereafter get very VERY complex. Not sure we want to go there again after previous skirmishes on here

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I see it as a parallel universe rA - those in the media spotlight are judged by an imagined new set of benchmarks that most of the population (of the world but let’s just stick to U.K. for now) are getting nowhere near and for the most part not even trying to. In this particular case his words are not just illegal but futile, BUT the lines of argument thereafter get very VERY complex. Not sure we want to go there again after previous skirmishes on here
    Not looking for a ‘skirmish’, AF.
    Sounds as if you’re subscribing to the...they’re as flawed as the rest of us, just more closely scrutinised...argument.
    You may be right but I honestly can’t recall at time when their appear to have been as many occasions of politicians routinely indulging in bullying, foul language, harassment, inappropriate behaviour and sheer dishonesty/corruption as is currently the case.
    It also appears to coincide with them being utterly useless eg...Covid enquiry, the NHS, HS2, Truss’ impact on the economy, school buildings, migrant crisis etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not looking for a ‘skirmish’, AF.
    Sounds as if you’re subscribing to the...they’re as flawed as the rest of us, just more closely scrutinised...argument.
    You may be right but I honestly can’t recall at time when their appear to have been as many occasions of politicians routinely indulging in bullying, foul language, harassment, inappropriate behaviour and sheer dishonesty/corruption as is currently the case.
    It also appears to coincide with them being utterly useless eg...Covid enquiry, the NHS, HS2, Truss’ impact on the economy, school buildings, migrant crisis etc etc.
    Not suggesting YOU were rA

The key word in your comment is 'appear' - it may be (and I think i probably is) that politicians and their henchmen are little different in terms of behaviour than they've ever been, but the spotlight is on them so much more at present, partly through the advent of social media and amateur voice/picture recording and partly through a mure puritan leaning at present

I'm not going to critique performance in each of the areas you mentioned, but the currently most high profile one, Covid, is almost beyond comprehension wrt the behaviour and competence of those we put our trust in. Not sure if you ever watched 'The Thick Of It', but its proved to be a depressingly accurate portrayal of the workings of Government

However, and a ray of hope: My friend's son, the 'ministers bag carrier' (one of those characters I've been accused of making up) observes that governmental behaviour varies by department and he's only worked in places where behaviour has been businesslike (albeit he's a bit more guarded about competence!). I found the same through decades working in big offices, group behaviour could be drastically different in groups seperated by nothing more than a set of swing doors

I do think there is a trend to judge people in the public eye by a stricter set of standards.

I think 'Party Gate' is a good example, a close friend of mine is the 1st to get on his soapbox about it, but he was the worst person i knew for following rules, parties and gatherings at home, refusal to wear face masks, false mobile numbers on track and trace, or just flash his phone but not actually have bluetooth on and so on.

His argument is that its different because he didnt set the rules, and i sort of understand that to a degree, but also think there is a huge element of people in glass houses....

But..people in the public eye choose to be there and know they are scrutinised, and its not new its just probably more visible these days, so if you want to be in the public eye you have to accept this is going to happen.

The Gordon Brown one when he went off on one about that woman when he didnt realise his mic was still on, how many of us would have probably said something similar behind closed doors, just that we wouldnt be on mic, or if we were no one would care, but he was PM so tacitly expected to have different standards i guess.

Page 70 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)