+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 728 of 923 FirstFirst ... 228628678718726727728729730738778828 ... LastLast
Results 7,271 to 7,280 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not really, Andy. As predominantly an English teacher it’s very difficult to teach around texts such as ‘Oliver Twist’ and ‘A Kestrel for a Knave’ without pupils reaching certain conclusions about poverty and bullying. Likewise with Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet it is impossible not to touch on matters such as greed, avarice and tribalism.
    There were times, in PSHE and under Thatcher during the Aids crisis, when we were not supposed to mention homos exuality, but that too was largely impossible and although no one I know would have ever actually advocated that particular s exual practice it certainly had to be mentioned and it had to be dealt with sensitively so basically no one took much notice of directives from ‘above’.
    There were times when I had to adopt school guidelines that I didn’t necessarily completely agree with, and there were times when I found myself at odds with the LEA, but, sorry to disappoint, I can’t actually think of an occasion such as you refer to.
    I wasn’t trying to catch you out rA, just interested - in particular in ‘no one took much notice of directives from above’. I have a teacher friend (in fact she taught our daughters) who was bemoaning the fact that ‘directives’ and their onward dissemination are no longer open to being ignored, contradicted or qualified under pain of dismissal (which has happened and it’s been in the local press). It all sounds a bit ‘Police State’ to me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I wasn’t trying to catch you out rA, just interested - in particular in ‘no one took much notice of directives from above’. I have a teacher friend (in fact she taught our daughters) who was bemoaning the fact that ‘directives’ and their onward dissemination are no longer open to being ignored, contradicted or qualified under pain of dismissal (which has happened and it’s been in the local press). It all sounds a bit ‘Police State’ to me
    I didn’t think you were. Perfectly reasonable question. MA’s answer provides some indication of why the arrival of the Blair Government was like a breath of fresh air for education. As for the rest...it’s a while now since I was at the ‘chalkface’...in fact I think I may now be ‘school phobic’.

Tricky...I’ve never ever experienced a ‘black person’ say, ‘you are nothing like me...how can you speak for me?’

I know empathy and imagination aren’t your strong points, but you don’t have to be black to recognise that racism is wrong any more than you have to be female to oppose ***ism or be poor to be in favour of a more egalitarian society.

You get ‘fed up with folks preaching that they know best for the working class, when they clearly aren’t working working class...’. I’m not sure who that’s aimed at...but it’d be interesting to know where your beloved ‘man of the people’ - ‘Sir Nigel’ Farage fits into all that.

As regards the Guardian article...it’s an observational piece which further fuels two more of your obsessions. All I can say is that, in four years of qualifying and thirty years of teaching I found that, as in most walks of life, the vast majority of teachers simply wanted to get on with their lives. Despite working at the ‘sharp end’, the politically aware were actually a small (20%?) minority...and the ‘politically active’ far fewer.
    I love Thicky's anecdotal evidence about Eu migration reducing wages when all the research actually shows that the effect was minimal, less than 1 -2%. The reason is that we actually have a negative birth rate in the UK so the replacement of the working population isn't happening because there are not enough youngsters.

That's the main reason there is a worker shortage - the other reasons such as the upskilling of jobs, requiring degrees - nurses ad the Police being two examples and increasing automation replacing basic manual work have zilch to do with the EU.

Still if he is right then it will be a wages bonanza for his "ilk" won't it? Mind you the same people will then moan that things cost more due to wage rises!! One only has to look at Norway and Sweden to see what a high wage economy looks like - funnily enough one country is in the EU and one is a member of the customs union and single market so accepts many EU rules!

Oh how the thick have swallowed the propaganda which the right wing elite ahve fed them, sad really but hey come on over when those benefits of Brexit, which you actually enjoy become apparent to you!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    the thick
    As I've said before, you truly hate your fellow humans don't you.

Hmmm...just received an emailed circular from no axe to grind Derbyshire Dales (Conservative) District Council regarding their refuse collection failures.
    It places the blame on two or three factors...Covid, problems with wages...but overwhelmingly on a national shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers caused entirely by...Brexit.
    To those who supported this monumental **** up, and as Swale suggested recently...do please let us all know when these Brexit benefits we were promised come to fruition.

That's actually quite laughable.
    As I said at the start of this thread. We have been cheating our way in the labour market for years.
    Due to a flood of Labour, companies have skipped training/education/progression of the young into the system.
    It was to save money and boost profits.
    But like a football club, if you don't have a youth system and progression trail, it all falls down eventually.
    The EU were happy with this, as it cemented the joyous ideals of a USE.
    But the consequences are now coming home.
    The poorer east european countries aren't so poor anymore and the Labour drifts where the money is.
    Our own labour is pathetically skilled and neglected.
    The classic own goal.

Still, they haven't all left, seeing as 6 million have applied for permanent residency. How many of those are HGV drivers I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    That's actually quite laughable.
    As I said at the start of this thread. We have been cheating our way in the labour market for years.
    Due to a flood of Labour, companies have skipped training/education/progression of the young into the system.
    It was to save money and boost profits.
    But like a football club, if you don't have a youth system and progression trail, it all falls down eventually.
    The EU were happy with this, as it cemented the joyous ideals of a USE.
    But the consequences are now coming home.
    The poorer east european countries aren't so poor anymore and the Labour drifts where the money is.
    Our own labour is pathetically skilled and neglected.
    The classic own goal.

Still, they haven't all left, seeing as 6 million have applied for permanent residency. How many of those are HGV drivers I wonder?
    I’m glad you find the decline in the efficiency of refuse collection and delivery of certain goods in our country, ‘laughable’.

I don’t. Perhaps you could take a break from splitting your sides and remind everyone of when your ‘Sir Nigel’ predicted this particular problem along with the increasing NI crisis.

I’m glad you find the decline in the efficiency of refuse collection and delivery of certain goods in our country, ‘laughable’.

I don’t. Perhaps you could take a break from splitting your sides and remind everyone of when your ‘Sir Nigel’ predicted this particular problem along with the increasing NI crisis.
    As a former education leader, perhaps you can see the irony in my statement about education.

So back to the problem, putting 2 and 2 together.
    Would you not agree that it is time to reinvest in home grown talent?
    Or do you think, your life style should still be governed by a reliance on foreign labour, with your testicles in a noose?

As for NI, only one side is being silly, so sorry. Rip it up in front of them.
    Take the hit as they enjoy being bullying school boys.

To be sure , no money either. Do one if that's your game.
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 21-07-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Hmmm...just received an emailed circular from no axe to grind Derbyshire Dales (Conservative) District Council regarding their refuse collection failures.
    It places the blame on two or three factors...Covid, problems with wages...but overwhelmingly on a national shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers caused entirely by...Brexit.
    …except of course Mr forensic accountant Faber went to check the actual wording as I often do, and it doesn’t say that. It makes no link between Brexit and the driver shortage, in fact it doesn’t expand on use of ‘Brexit’ at all, which of course would lead a cynic to assume the word had just been used as an easy hit to enrage Remainers and deflect from issues the Council may have greater control over

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    …except of course Mr forensic accountant Faber went to check the actual wording as I often do, and it doesn’t say that. It makes no link between Brexit and the driver shortage, in fact it doesn’t expand on use of ‘Brexit’ at all, which of course would lead a cynic to assume the word had just been used as an easy hit to enrage Remainers and deflect from issues the Council may have greater control over
    Simply untrue, Andy, and I actually resent that. I lay no claim to being always right but I do try to be always honest so here’s the quote and source in full.

‘Many councils have declared an ‘emergency situation’ after large numbers of staff have been told to self isolate by the Covid-19 app.
    This has been compounded by a national shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers as a result of Brexit’.

That message was sent out by ‘Derbyshire Dales Waste and Recycling’ at 13.19 this afternoon.

Perhaps ‘Mr forensic accountant Faber’ didn’t check as thoroughly as he thought or was looking in the wrong place. Either way...I’m happy to agree, disagree and debate with you as much as you like, but please do not imply that I am a liar.

Page 728 of 923 FirstFirst ... 228628678718726727728729730738778828 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)