+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Freak result?

Freak result or not. its all about how we react to this! we've got some big games that will test our title credentials.

Falkirk were miles better than us on the day and mistakes made in selection but im hoping its the massive doing that will finally kick us up the backside to realise we're not just going to waltz this league. we have to earn it in every game! complacency has been a problem a few times this season so hopefully the message gets across this time as it was an embarrassing result.

if we're not careful we will leave ourselves playing catch up too much AGAIN for the 3rd season on the trot.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    Freak result or not. its all about how we react to this! we've got some big games that will test our title credentials.

Falkirk were miles better than us on the day and mistakes made in selection but im hoping its the massive doing that will finally kick us up the backside to realise we're not just going to waltz this league. we have to earn it in every game! complacency has been a problem a few times this season so hopefully the message gets across this time as it was an embarrassing result.

if we're not careful we will leave ourselves playing catch up too much AGAIN for the 3rd season on the trot.
    Couldn't agree with you more Darren, it is all about what we do from now until the end of season, undoubtedly we should have the wherewithal to win or at least come 2nd in this league, but we haven't shown it in any game win, lose or draw as far as I am concerned. The injuries aside to key players, should still see us with enough in reserve, with hopefully loan signings that will produce and others get their fingers out. My only other real concern is that we rack up an inordinate amount of bookings but never win the foul count on the BBC stats, not only was it 6-1, they won 15 - 5 on fouls but we again won the bookings match! Don't compute in my brain cell!

Losing as we did is unforgivable, no doubt. However, we shouldn't underestimate the impact of losing two players in a week that were probably our best of the season so far.

Not just Fraser and Fyvie TTT but I think it shows Durnan is a big miss for us.

The effort and conviction weren’t there on Saturday though and players need to respond to a performance that was totally unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Not just Fraser and Fyvie TTT but I think it shows Durnan is a big miss for us.

The effort and conviction weren’t there on Saturday though and players need to respond to a performance that was totally unacceptable
    Hopefully Durnan back on Saturday as the Quinn, Scobbie combination didn't work against Falkirk. We need to change tactics though against Dunfermline. They'll push a high line if we continue with the pass it out from the back game we played last Saturday and that will invite a repeat of the Falkirk performance. The whole team needs a long hard look at themselves after last Saturday. Given that very few of the players (if any) are motivated to see our club doing well due to any great love for Dundee United they only have their professional pride to play for. Hopefully that took a sufficient dent against Falkirk to spur them into action. Will be at Dunfermline more in hope than expectation.

we need to be far more direct. when csaba came in we were keeping the ball well but it was all with a purpose. last 3 games we’ve just been passing the ball around the defence aimlessly and ignoring forward passes at times.

Quote Originally Posted by bawbagg View Post
    we need to be far more direct. when csaba came in we were keeping the ball well but it was all with a purpose. last 3 games we’ve just been passing the ball around the defence aimlessly and ignoring forward passes at times.
    i think its a combination of things.
    Missing Fyvie means we dont have that quality from deep. FF is composed on the ball and has the ability to play quality balls forward. which flood or even stanton arent comfortable in doing. flood isnt composed on the ball and hasnt got great quality on the ball so will play more square or backwards passes. stanton prefers to be receiving on the half turn behind opponents midfield line and doesnt really look comfortable coming deep for the ball. havent seen slater but hopefully he can give some sort of quality that were missing from fyvie
    Missing Fraser we dont have the clever movement higher up the park that he had started to bring into his game in recent weeks before the injury.
    by durnan missing we miss his ability to come out with the ball. he is more comfortable on the ball and able to make passes better than quinn or scobbie. MD is far more composed on the ball than other CB's.

i also think a big massive in recent week has been murdoch. he looked like he was coming onto a game in CL's 1st couple of games. an actual player who is comfortable at RB rather than playing left footers there means we can go forward just as effect on the both sides.

The most worrying thing about your post (although spot on) is that we
    are missing Mark Durnan.

This is a player who is nothing more than a limited centre half who is not near the standard we as a club should be playing at (top flight) yet we miss him terribly. That speaks volumes about the quality of our squad.

We've moved on from a team unafraid to develop and play youngsters to a team that signs journeyman pros from teams like St Johnstone, Motherwell and Ross County who are past their best and with no re-sale value - just a black hole for our clubs money.

Really ****ing disgusted by how far we have fallen in a short time
    Last edited by FTD1983; 09-01-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    The most worrying thing about your post (although spot on) is that we
    are missing Mark Durnan.

This is a player who is nothing more than a limited centre half who is not near the standard we as a club should be playing at (top flight) yet we miss him terribly. That speaks volumes about the quality of our squad.

We've moved on from a team unafraid to develop and play youngsters to a team that signs journeyman pros from teams like St Johnstone and Ross County.

Really ****ing disgusted by how far we have fallen in a short time
    yeah i can see what you mean but having said that he has turned it around albeit in a lower division. the year we went down, he was playing in a team with no confidence and was getting the brunt of abuse alot (he was terrible that season) even last season i thought he would have been punted but he came in put in some solid performances and now looks a completely different player, 1 of our more consistent performers. i would imagine if we got up and he stayed he would be better placed to show if he was capable of playing at that level this time.

i do think your being slightly harsh on the limited centre half comment, again i know its in lower division but he is by far our best defender in terms of playing out. he might not be at the same ball playing levels as john stones but he can pick a pass and has shown he has composure at times.

I maybe am being harsh, but imo we signed a good championship CH from QotS, he showed he couldn't cut it at the top level and now is back at his level and looking good again.

To me that screams that one of our most important players isn't cut out for the level we aspire to... imagine the rebuild we are going to need when we do go up?!

As of right now, Fyvie is, imo, the only one of our players worth a start in the top flight - that's a major worry.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)