+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee taking … now only occasionally for prem league

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Troy Deeney seemed to be the most in favour, him and his girlfriend trademarked the the BLM shirt sleeve design.
    It is true that they trademarked their BLM design, I suspect you are cynical of them for doing that. However, the reasoning seems to have been to prevent misuse of it rather than for-profit which seems like quite a reasonable one.

BLM was a spontaneous grassroots movement with no official leadership and lots of different groups loosely using the banner with lots of different strategies. It became apparent with time that while many people agreed with the overall anti-racist message, they didn't always agree with the leadership or tactics of all BLM groups, of which they usually had no connection to or control over.

People can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that you can move away from the particular "brand", of BLM, but still care about and want to retain the sentiment originally behind it. I don't understand how people struggle so much with the idea and still bang on about the individual actions of random people loosely associated with BLM as though it somehow represents everyone who has ever muttered the term.

Is there anyone on this thread who would be willing to say they oppose the overall theme that black people should be treated equally and not suffer discrimination or abuse for the colour of their skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    If all sports stars, commentators, actors etc who speak out against the online abuse united and boycotted a website I think it would be a good thing. It would be similar to boycotting a brand due to using child labour or mistreating animals. Although I was under the impression that racist comments where a common theme on twitter.

It’s not just the racism. Kids are killing themselves due to online bullying. I’m sure the parents wished their kids would have boycotted the website.

Regarding the black footballers, there are already threats of walking off the pitch if there is racist abuse. I think they should do it. It would be a similar stance.
    I think that a unified boycott of the worst dicuss media sites from major stars could be a powerful message in forcing the sites to be more proactive in clamping down on hateful posters.

However, the point remains that whilstever there is such activity going on, which is most visible on these sites, that doesn't detect from the over riding point that this is just the most visible tip of an iceberg that many black sports people and Black people generally have to encounter in their lives, and the knee taking is aimed at wider discrimination, not just that on message boards.

Further, if we say that our solution is for players to withdraw their social media accounts, much of which is part of their commercial profile, whilst allowing white sports stars to keep theirs active, you are effectively discriminating with your solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think that a unified boycott of the worst dicuss media sites from major stars could be a powerful message in forcing the sites to be more proactive in clamping down on hateful posters.

However, the point remains that whilstever there is such activity going on, which is most visible on these sites, that doesn't detect from the over riding point that this is just the most visible tip of an iceberg that many black sports people and Black people generally have to encounter in their lives, and the knee taking is aimed at wider discrimination, not just that on message boards.

Further, if we say that our solution is for players to withdraw their social media accounts, much of which is part of their commercial profile, whilst allowing white sports stars to keep theirs active, you are effectively discriminating with your solution.
    My solution wasn’t for just the victims to boycott it though. It was for anyone who is against it or everyone who has spoken out against it.

In my head the first people I think of who should be boycotting are the white presenters.

Did the previous poster insinuate that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    My solution wasn’t for just the victims to boycott it though. It was for anyone who is against it or everyone who has spoken out against it.

In my head the first people I think of who should be boycotting are the white presenters.
    Fair point. Apologies. Misread and as I said I agree that a coordinated effort could be very powerful in the effort to force greater accountability from social media bosses. But I think that the problem goes well beyond just the outlets where such vile opinions are expressed and we need to focus more on confronting the racist attitudes that permeate generally. A positive thing about the knee and similar gestures is that children are at the games and see their heroes make a collective stand and leads to a wider conversation with parents. I think any thoughtful actions including your suggestion are helpful, although it does include the victims making a commercial sacrifice and that is where my discomfort with it is. But I would like to see it on balance.

Don't like getting into debates like this but if they told you to jump off a cliff would you? that's equivalent to me backing taking the knee. Cause then your agreeing with the black lifes movement & crimes mostly associated with ethnic groups. I know none ethnic groups aren't crime free far from it but they seem to be brought to justice without hurdles in their way more quickly.

Lots of people seem to dismiss "virtue signalling" as though it's a bad thing.

I'm not convinced showing support for a good cause in the hope of advancing it is?

People could quietly donate money to the British legion and leave it at that.

Wearing a poppy is literally as virtue signalling as it gets.

Curious that those bemoaning "virtue signalling" for other causes would likely be outraged if the club decided it wasn't going to do anything for the poppy appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

Did the previous poster insinuate that?
    See above. I stand corrected!

I think the simple truth is that lots of white people don't like black people getting all this attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    I think the simple truth is that lots of white people don't like black people getting all this attention.
    Hallelujah!
    The whole thing finally summed up in one sentence.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast