+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs Coventry City PO SF L1 (12.05.18)

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    You've just made a nonsense of your own argument within the same sentence.
    No I haven’t. He has given a ***** decision there from an incident he couldn’t even see properly. He guessed(unless he’s got x ray vision) The answer to that isn’t “he needs help from technology to get the decision right”, the answer is “he shouldn’t give the naffing decision in the first place”.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowlane1 View Post
    Its simple what should happen. The refs should be able to use video technology if they have even the slightest doubt. Its used in rugby and works very well. That decision should have been looked at by two other refs at pitchside and then a decision made.
    It's working very well in MLS, who (like most American sporting authorities) are ahead of the curve. The video ref doesn't reverse the decision on the field. He tells the on-field ref that a mistake may have been made and asks him to have a look at the TV on the side of the pitch. It takes less than a minute and pretty much all the critical decisions end up being correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    No I haven’t. He has given a ***** decision there from an incident he couldn’t even see properly. He guessed(unless he’s got x ray vision) The answer to that isn’t “he needs help from technology to get the decision right”, the answer is “he shouldn’t give the naffing decision in the first place”.

100% correct.

Quite. And that was in 1986! 32 years later there's still a "debate" about whether more technology should be used. It would be funny if it wasn't so annoying.
    Yes, after three decades, it’s hard to be a “Football Conservative” when it comes to this issue. This is one issue where a bit of “Progressivism” is desperately needed IMO.
    If we don’t get into the PO Final & a single goal is the difference, this will be talked about for years among Notts fans.

Quite. And that was in 1986! 32 years later there's still a "debate" about whether more technology should be used. It would be funny if it wasn't so annoying.
    I watch a lot of MLB baseball here....and the number of decisions overturned on appeal is quite startling....at first glance you think the ref is right but the players look adamant, they get granted on appeal, original decision overturned.......simple, each manager gets one appeal per half, every game is televised-recorded anyway....surely it is the way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Punishing refs after the event not the answer as this will do nothing to reduce the frequency or impact of their human errors.
    Either give the three, unassisted humans in charge some additional help or simply accept decisions like this will always happen.
    From Hand of God to this, travesties will continue happening unless changes are made.
    Didn't mean that sanctioning refs would be the only action, I think VAR could be made to work well also, but refs should be held accountable for poor performance - like everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Just to clarify, the point of VAR is to identify and correct poor refereeing decisions that shouldn't have made.

Clearly, you favour the much more professional and advanced solution of ranting after the game about how s*** the referee was and the reasons why he shouldn't have made such a shocking decision. Problem is, that changes nothing, whereas VAR does.
    Last edited by jackal2; 12-05-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Punishing refs after the event not the answer as this will do nothing to reduce the frequency or impact of their human errors.
    Either give the three, unassisted humans in charge some additional help or simply accept decisions like this will always happen.
    From Hand of God to this, travesties will continue happening unless changes are made.
    It may make them think twice about bowing to pressure from the home fans as 'Stall' suggested he did?

The fact is, they know, that they are totally untouchable, they never have to account for their decisions and the refs assoc, always stands by them. I know it's not an easy job but they have to start answertoing Q's, the standard of reffing in L2 is atrocious.

In Rugby, the referee explains to players and crowd through the mic, exactly why a decision has been made, why are football refs so different?

Also, given that it was live on TV, there should be retrospective action for the stamp on Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Didn't mean that sanctioning refs would be the only action, I think VAR could be made to work well also, but refs should be held accountable for poor performance - like everyone else!
    Yep, fair enough on both points. Some sort of tech def needed to help refs in key decisions - like the try for rugby.
    I’m not sure, but I think refs do get assessed & the poorest ones removed each year?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast