+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 911 of 954 FirstFirst ... 411811861901909910911912913921 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,110 of 9536

Thread: Today's Diddy Games

What's the German for Spursy?

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Bad news on that, old son.

Scottish fitba players, at least in the top league, i think, have been wearing poppy-logoed shirts when playing in the fixture nearest to 11November for a good number of years. That’s why the tims display the ‘no blood-stained poppy on our shirt’ banner every year. I’m not keen on it myself, to be honest.

Here’s a pic taken at the Heritage Trust’s Armistice commemoration held in the big cavern in the bottom of the Beach End, commemorating Aberdeen players and staff who died in last century’s two world wars. Some member of the military is saluting the memorial, part of which is Lee Miller’s signed poppy shirt from 2009, I think.

Attachment 24703
    I did actually know that
    You’re getting old min

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    What's the German for Spursy?
    You don’t need to know. All that’s necessary is to shout it in an ever-louder voice in an accent such as that used by the actors playing German soldiers and POW camp orderlies in Second World War films from the 1950s.

The square-headed sausage-munching Krauts will soon get it.

I remember being on a train, crossing into Germany and realising that I only knew three words of German.

Ja, Nein and Arrgg.

Arrgg coming from the commando books that I had been so fond of as a kid.

Commando comics are still going, surprisingly.

Ironically, they're now printed in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I remember being on a train, crossing into Germany and realising that I only knew three words of German.

Ja, Nein and Arrgg.

Arrgg coming from the commando books that I had been so fond of as a kid.

Ah think it's you fa's gettin auld min ... I hardly read ony Commando comics, but if ye canna mind 'Achtung English pig!', Halt!, Himmel!', Mein Gott/Gott in Himmel', then Ah'd say there's cause for concern .... still, Ah widna think much o' the above would hae helped much fan orderin' a beer or askin directions tae the game

Quote Originally Posted by swaddon2 View Post
    Commando comics are still going, surprisingly.

Ironically, they're now printed in Germany.
    There was a commando book where the Jerry boat was at sea just off Aberdeen and the Aberdeen skyline was one steeple and two pitched roofs ( or rooves as that was still the plural at that time...work with the p word too )

Surely if you read Commando or Warlord you’d have been near fluent, with invaluable words and phrases such as “achtung, achtung, die spitfire”, “hande hoch” and “schweinhundt”. All essential for a jaunt to the land of the Bosch.

(I say this as someone without a word of German beyond childhood comic-derived knowledge.)

Donner und blitzen.

Yeah yeah, there were a few more, but you get the drift.

My previous experiences with the delectable Dagmar obviously didn't require me to learn the German for " get them oot"

Page 911 of 954 FirstFirst ... 411811861901909910911912913921 ... LastLast