+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonna ask you all a question

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I am sorry to say that a decent number of Arab lottery winner's have blew a fortune by not biting the bullet and paying off Shabba and appointing a manager,only my opinion of course.
    Having put it that way, my money aint left the bank because ST aint getting any of my winnings in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Having put it that way, my money aint left the bank because ST aint getting any of my winnings in the first place!
    Ken what you mean mate,i am currently on a beach in Barbados telling the Monkey on the phone that he isnae getting a Barbadian Dollar fae me.

F##k it, depending how much I'd won, I'd take one for the team and pay to get rid of the fu##er once and for all.

I want our team back..

🤞 it could be me...

NO

If I won the lottery I would pay off ST and immediately sack Csaba.

I would have a smaller squad and pay key players more to ensure they are more inclined to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    NO

If I won the lottery I would pay off ST and immediately sack Csaba.

I would have a smaller squad and pay key players more to ensure they are more inclined to stay.
    You'd manage the 2nd part of that if you got 3 numbers 😜

I'd punt Laszlo in a heartbeat - clueless on and off the park and nothing will change that.

MM's statement was basically supporter bait bingo. He (as an arab) understands the reverence we have for Wee Jum and basically used his methodology as a selling point for his reign. There seems to be no consideration given to the fact that the football landscape nowadays means Wee jims methodology is simply an outdated relic which cannot succeed in the modern game.

United Way FFS - empty words - what is the Utd way? For supporters of my age (32) the "Utd way" for me is the wee purple patch we had where we had good league finishes and gained a reputation for developing, bringing through, and selling on young players whilst getting a few cup wins.

players must live within 25 miles of Dundee - pish - playing on the Jim Mclean factor and will potentially close off a big portion of the transfer market to us.

Performance related pay - again - playing on the Jim McLean factor - I sincerely doubt the pay structure is anywhere near weighted enough towards bonuses to effectively emulate that ethos - we are continuing to sign players from our nearest competitors , the only way we can do that is by offering them a guaranteed higher income - if I'm a Dunfermline player based in Glasgow/Edinburgh you are ****ed if you think I'm relocating and taking a lower basic on the hope that we win all the time or I keep hunners of clean sheets / score hunners of goals.

It's an attempt to gloss over what has happened at the club - we have gone from a top 6 side consistently developing quality youngsters, to a mediocre top flight side who signed journeyman, to a championship side competing with Premiership teams for bottom 6 players and now fully evolved to a Championship side signing mediocre pish from teams who finished around or below us last season.

If the plan is to form a squad comprising players who failed for us at this level last season, coupled with players who failed at Dunfermline/Ross County/Partick/Dumbarton and somehow turn that into a team who will perform better in a tougher league, under the same incompetent managr, we are truly ****ed.

With specific reference to the point about using JYM ideas today I'd day the alternative clearly hasn't worked and it's worth a try. I'm not at all convinced by some of the rhetoric but I'm always of the opinion you've got to give things a chance before writing them off.

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    I'd punt Laszlo in a heartbeat - clueless on and off the park and nothing will change that.

MM's statement was basically supporter bait bingo. He (as an arab) understands the reverence we have for Wee Jum and basically used his methodology as a selling point for his reign. There seems to be no consideration given to the fact that the football landscape nowadays means Wee jims methodology is simply an outdated relic which cannot succeed in the modern game.

United Way FFS - empty words - what is the Utd way? For supporters of my age (32) the "Utd way" for me is the wee purple patch we had where we had good league finishes and gained a reputation for developing, bringing through, and selling on young players whilst getting a few cup wins.

players must live within 25 miles of Dundee - pish - playing on the Jim Mclean factor and will potentially close off a big portion of the transfer market to us.

Performance related pay - again - playing on the Jim McLean factor - I sincerely doubt the pay structure is anywhere near weighted enough towards bonuses to effectively emulate that ethos - we are continuing to sign players from our nearest competitors , the only way we can do that is by offering them a guaranteed higher income - if I'm a Dunfermline player based in Glasgow/Edinburgh you are ****ed if you think I'm relocating and taking a lower basic on the hope that we win all the time or I keep hunners of clean sheets / score hunners of goals.

It's an attempt to gloss over what has happened at the club - we have gone from a top 6 side consistently developing quality youngsters, to a mediocre top flight side who signed journeyman, to a championship side competing with Premiership teams for bottom 6 players and now fully evolved to a Championship side signing mediocre pish from teams who finished around or below us last season.

If the plan is to form a squad comprising players who failed for us at this level last season, coupled with players who failed at Dunfermline/Ross County/Partick/Dumbarton and somehow turn that into a team who will perform better in a tougher league, under the same incompetent managr, we are truly ****ed.
    oh ye of little faith, what would your alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post

There is nothing like a healthy dose of reality to cheer you up on a Monday!

Replace the manager - I can't tell you who with - I'm not employed in the upper levels of football.

Sign players on realistic terms and, if they have a family outwith the 25 mile radius, but it is realistic to commute, let them. Don't limit the already piss poor pool of players we are fishing in by imposing arbitrary restrictions.

There is no point imposing Jim McLean style caveats without a Jim McLean style manager to enforce them. Even then, if we did have a Jim McLean style manager with these modern players he'd be bombed out in a heartbeat amidst dressing room revolt. Jim was a legend of his time, I personally don't think he could adapt to the modern dressing room - that's not a criticism of him - horses for courses.

We should be focussing on identifying the best players available, giving them the best packages we can afford to depending on their role/importance to the first XI and getting them into the club in time for a good pre-season under a competent manager.

We certainly should not be identifying players to improve the squad, spending time analysing them, deciding to approach them then finding out they can't/won't relocate - it's a massive waste of time and in fact is so ridiculous I am utterly convinced it is just a sound bite with no substance behind it. There is no way for example Nicky Clark has taken a basic salary pay cut with performance incentives to move away from an improved offer at Dunfermline - it's not realistic, unless our "reduced basic salary" is still so high compared to other clubs that we are essentially matching their best offer.

The same applies to the wage structure comment - there is no danger we are offering a very low basic with very high bonuses and successfully recruiting players who have other offers elsewhere.

How many of you would take a significant salary cut to move to a job where you could potentially earn more based on performance?

It's a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take with a mortgage and family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)