+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: How do you intend to vote at the General election?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Poll - How do you intend to vote at the General election?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I other news, Boris Johnson says there is no place for Islamophobia in the Conservative party.

Unless of course you refer to their women as looking like bank robbers and letterboxes, in which case you get made Prime Minister.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I other news, Boris Johnson says there is no place for Islamophobia in the Conservative party.

Unless of course you refer to their women as looking like bank robbers and letterboxes, in which case you get made Prime Minister.
    Well said that man

Denial???

Not surprising, Boris's words taken completely out of context, of course.

Never heard the Trot Tramp apologise tho, did you?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1199669031848034304
    Last edited by countygump; 27-11-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Denial???
    Denial of what, and by who?

Did you ever read the article you are referencing Elite?

Denmark has got it wrong.
    Yes, the burka is oppressive and ridiculous – but that's still no reason to ban it
    BORIS JOHNSON

Denial of what, and by who?
    Sorry, I managed to post an 'unfinished post'. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post

Yes, the burka is oppressive and ridiculous – but that's still no reason to ban it
    BORIS JOHNSON
    Full quote:

Mr Johnson - who last month quit the government in protest at Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit policy - was commenting on the introduction of a burka ban in Denmark.

He said he felt "fully entitled" to expect women to remove face coverings when talking to him at his MP surgery - and schools and universities should be able to take the same approach if a student "turns up... looking like a bank robber".

"If you tell me that the burka is oppressive, then I am with you," he said.

"If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree - and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran.

"I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes."

He said businesses and government agencies should be able to "enforce a dress code" that allowed them to see customers' faces.

But he said: "Such restrictions are not quite the same as telling a free-born adult woman what she may or may not wear, in a public place, when she is simply minding her own business."

He said a total ban on face-covering veils would give a boost to radicals who said there was a "clash of civilisations" between Islam and the West and could lead to "a general crackdown on any public symbols of religious affiliation".

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post

BORIS JOHNSON
    Yes, I read the article. In it he said "it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes". His comments reportedly led to this - "Islamophobic incidents rose by 375 per cent in the week after Boris Johnson compared veiled Muslim women to “letterboxes”, research has shown".

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I'm sorry, BFP, but your above comment puts you on a par with Corbyn. There is clearly nasty stuff going on behind closed doors but I wish those who have been offended would document exactly what upset them.
    Similarly, with the Chief Rabbi - if he had related specific instances then Corbyn would not be able to issue another bland apology about what a super non-racist he was. Give chapter and verse, Chief Rabbi, and that would force Corbyn to be specific in his denials rather than throwing a blanket over the whole matter.
    Sid, my previous post was a bit glib. I’m involved with union politics and have personally heard people on the left express antisemitic views, including holocaust denial. I challenged those views when no one else wanted to.

There is undoubtedly antisemitism on the left, but there is absolutely no doubt either that people on the right are using it as a stick to beat Corbyn. These people don’t care about racism, and very often have racist views themselves or support those who do. There is literally nothing that Corbyn could say or do that would satisfy those people.

Antisemitism is the ‘Hilary’s emails’ of this election.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 27-11-2019 at 03:28 PM.

That is what the media/press excel at, picking out a sentence from a long statement or even changing or misquoting it to suit there needs or political persuasion. The Tories did it to a Kier Starmer interview recently.

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast