+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On another thread

On another thread

Someone said

Notts are in quite a unique position really, competing with a much bigger/richer/more successful team literally just across the river. We're two divisions apart, but in terms of money and the ability of players, it's a huge gap.
    I'm not here to praise Forest, but if all this is true then why would people (especially people choosing a team to support) choose to watch County.

Be positive, this is a chance to bring out your good points.

BTW, I think that both John Harvey and Nigel McCrery support County. What is it with you and crime writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrag View Post
    I'm not here to praise Forest, but if all this is true then why would people (especially people choosing a team to support) choose to watch County.
    Taking that logic to it's ultimate conclusion, why would anyone choose to support any team other than Man City / Man U / Chelsea / Liverpool? If bigness and success are the criteria for selecting a team to support, I don't think the scum over the river would enter anyone's calculations. Thankfully, some people see beyond that, and support the team that they love for whatever reason. One thing I've realised over the years is that one diehard supporter of a struggling lower league club is usually worth 10 'big club' supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Taking that logic to it's ultimate conclusion, why would anyone choose to support any team other than Man City / Man U / Chelsea / Liverpool? If bigness and success are the criteria for selecting a team to support, I don't think the scum over the river would enter anyone's calculations. Thankfully, some people see beyond that, and support the team that they love for whatever reason. One thing I've realised over the years is that one diehard supporter of a struggling lower league club is usually worth 10 'big club' supporters.
    Yeah, but why would that be? is it because you like the underdog, or you think that Forest are too "glossy," or that County are a proper Football team as against Forest, or because of your history, or because you think it's your turn for a place in the sun, or because you like your ground or your fellow supporters, or because your father always supported County?

What do you think is the big reason someone would choose to support County instead of Forest?

Yeah, but why would that be? is it because you like the underdog, or you think that Forest are too "glossy," or that County are a proper Football team as against Forest, or because of your history, or because you think it's your turn for a place in the sun, or because you like your ground or your fellow supporters, or because your father always supported County?

What do you think is the big reason someone would choose to support County instead of Forest?
    No family ties, in my case it was support for the underdog, and a bit of ****age rebellion where I didn't just follow the crowd.

I think it's to do with supporting your local club. Mind you, even though I grew up in West Bridgford, I chose Notts instead because my godfather took me to see his local club first, which, as he was from Nottingham, was Notts County.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I think it's to do with supporting your local club. Mind you, even though I grew up in West Bridgford, I chose Notts instead because my godfather took me to see his local club first, which, as he was from Nottingham, was Notts County.
    Just as a historical note, the City Ground was in Nottingham until 1952 when council boundaries were changed. I think that the city still owns the freehold.

Just as a historical note, the City Ground was in Nottingham until 1952 when council boundaries were changed. I think that the city still owns the freehold.
    That's correct. My first game was in 1973.

It’s like falling in love - there’s a chemistry, sparks fly, etc. When I was 10 and first started going to games, I had a season when I would go to some Notts games and some Forest ones. Even though that season was 1977-78 (which I believe has some historical importance to those on the other side of the Trent), it was obvious to me that I was going to be a Notts fan. I preferred the atmosphere at Meadow Lane, I loved the smells (cigarettes, alcohol and lotion) and I just felt comfortable there, at home. Many years of frustration and disappointment may have followed, but never regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Bloody hell.
    No drink,no drugs and I may actually press the like button if there was one.

My dad took me to see both when I was a small kid, I struggled to see the game at Forest because of the large crowd so felt more comfortable at Notts matches.
    Also most of my mates were red dogs and took the mick out of Notts and were and still are patronising so I suppose I stuck up for the under dog.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast