+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Best of British Northern Soul

Here is one that might shock a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Bob H is going to love this thread :-)
    Yea, I know Bob and he will. Hopefully I might get to shock him with a few of these records lol

The whole Northern Soul 'phenomenon' completely passed me by and to be honest Biglad if that's the best of it I can easily see why. Not for me I'm afraid

Cracking bit of Brit Northern Soul

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    The whole Northern Soul 'phenomenon' completely passed me by and to be honest Biglad if that's the best of it I can easily see why. Not for me I'm afraid
    It's not for everyone CAM. If you dont feel it then its not for you.

I listened to the two I didn't know much about - Jenny Wren and Dana Gillespie. Thought they were both excellent, tending to the pop end of soul. Helen Shapiro with a bit of Detroit thrown in. Worth listening to.

I know next to nothing about the culture of Northern Soul but it's obviously an intoxicating and enduring thing if you've been bitten by the bug. I remember watching those George Gentley police dramas which were pretty good at tracking the zeitgeist of the sixties and one of the episodes centered on the Northern Soul culture in the North East. I'm sure Big Lad would have lots to correct about how it was done - but I remember really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Monty, did you see the lad from East Herringthorpe topping the bill yet again this week on Later with Jools?
    sota, mon ami, I arise at 04.00 AM and am always in bed with my cocoa by 8PM. I then read something like Gramsci or Althusser on Marxist philosophy for an hour before grabbing my regualtion 7 hours of kip. So the short answer to your question is no sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Helen Shapiro with a bit of Detroit thrown in. Worth listening to.
    CT is that a recommendation or a warning?

I missed NS and Soul at the time but, oddly enough, Im listening to more of it now.

Would never have thought Long John and Rod were Northern Soulers.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast