+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Next up, Friday night away to Alloa

Quote Originally Posted by Noddydog View Post
    It’s those “smaller” teams that sit-in more, and we’ve found them difficult to break down. We’ve done better when teams have had more of a go at us, allowing games to open up more.
    That’s where a good manager earns his salary, and picks a team/formation that is best suited to the opposition.
    Unfortunately, ours doesn’t have that in his locker.....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    I honestly don't think being part time in this league really matters and I don't think being "near the bottom of the league" matters either as Alloa are only 7 points away from a play off spot and Morton & Arbroath even closer.

I headed through last night not expecting to win and if I'm being honest the game went exactly as I thought it would. It was an improvement on the last time we were there when Alloa pi55ed all over us though but that is the only positive I can take from last night(and the peh on a roll which was surprisingly tasty)

I agree though that we should be doing better v Arbroath and Morton at home.

Yes but we were never going to do them all over the exact same on both their visits to Tannadice as teams learn from their last visit

Although Morton for example, had sows goal stood in the first minute, we probably do go on and beat them comfortably again

With baring in mind despite my being stellar yin recent games we are still up there at in the form table.. Away from home in the league that was the first pts we dropped since October, while the perfect home form has dropped off a little, if we were the perfect team then we'd get both right all season.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    as teams learn from their last visit
    If only we could learn from our last visit, eh?

What I love about those saying we need to change pretty much our full team when we get promoted is how simplistic the view is

The leagues are very different in style, you don't know for sure how well this squad would do with no changes good or bad as many times teams going up start well before dropping off, I think every one agrees though that when you go up you need to strengthen a bit

However they'd need to be a balance, we are trying to build here, so you don't just rip up the team and start again and kill the continuity and team spirit that you have, needs to be done incrementally, make a few key changes but keep the core and see how you do

Stay in the league comfortably then lol to build again to push on but you are creating something long term and an identity by having players at the club for 2-4 years or more

Exactly what we done under Levein and Houston to great effect..that's the way we need to go if we want to go up and do well but also keep a consistent base level, then stick with it

If you get a season in top 4-6 great but don't rip it up if you then drop back to a 7-9th finish a year later

The way Motherwell haven't, they stick with Robinson, had a very good season, then average, then back to another good one

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    If only we could learn from our last visit, eh?

Our last visit was a weakened side we had on but
    I thought we did to a degree , we controlled it but final ball killed us and prevented a win

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    However they'd need to be a balance, we are trying to build here, so you don't just rip up the team and start again and kill the continuity and team spirit that you have, needs to be done incrementally, make a few key changes but keep the core and see how you do.
    This is so true. Great examples of this down south are Fulham last season and Sheffield United this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    Our years in this division have been marked by our inability to go on a long unbeaten run. Going into this season there was no way I was expecting to completely dominate. There have been games esp away that I have thought this will be tough & we won. I expected there to have been more points dropped than there has been. The only problem is that they have mostly been against teams we should probably be putting away. I expected that the derby games & away to places like Inverness & Dunfermline would be our hardest matches.Hopefully this current run of form will be as bad as it gets & with players back from injury we will push on again & get the job done.

Good Post

We didn't win it in 1960,1996, 2017,2018 or 2019

Dominated the league this time with a huge win percentage that's only just tailed off, we had no draws all season in league until Christmas, now have three but the manager will never catch a break with some fans tbh

If our worst form of the season is this at 2 wins 3 draws 1 loss then excellent, hopefully it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    That’s where a good manager earns his salary, and picks a team/formation that is best suited to the opposition.
    Unfortunately, ours doesn’t have that in his locker.....
    Bear in mind we are 18 points clear at the top. We all make mistakes, but statistics say he is getting more right than wrong. I think the difference between success and failure in this league is small, and injuries just now have made that gap smaller. We all knew it wouldn’t be plain sailing, so we need to keep a sense of perspective when we get a few indifferent/ poor games. The league is not yet won, but we have got to where we are by a sense of togetherness - lets not implode now.

And looking at today’s results we really need to put this to bed. I never thought it would happen but it’s looking increasingly likely Hearts are coming down. Therefore next season’s Championship is going to be bloody tough especially if as looks likely Falkirk come back up also. We need to make sure we don’t need to be worrying about it so let’s get the phucking job done. Pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Agreed mate,when you think back Alloa at times in October cut us to ribbons so why not just play Butcher,Harkes,Powers,Connolly,Watson and Reynolds and settle for a clean sheet and 1 goal from Lawrence of Arabia?.
    That's what the manager went for but Shankland missed the chances.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)