+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Torquay

Match ratings v Torquay

Thougt I would have a go
    Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
    Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
    Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
    Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
    Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
    Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
    Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
    Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
    Enzio.......... Moving on..6
    Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
    Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

Subs..........All 7.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Thougt I would have a go
    Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
    Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
    Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
    Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
    Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
    Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
    Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
    Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
    Enzio.......... Moving on..6
    Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
    Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

Subs..........All 7.
    I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.

Wouldn’t disagree too much with the original ratings but I feel it was hard to distinguish between the players today. In my view it was a fairly unique match in that almost the entire 11 could’ve been named MOTM; it’s the first game I can remember in a long while that I don’t think anyone played badly.

The match overall followed a similar pattern to the previous two home games in that we took an early lead and then ceded possession for long spells to a useful-looking team, but the main difference was that Slocombe didn’t have a save to make, and for all their possession they didn’t make a chance of note until the 70th minute so we were well worth the win.

So for me it was the best performance so far; 7’s across the board with probably an 8 for Rawlinson, who I can’t remember making a mistake and produced a brilliant goal-line clearance with 20 mins to go, without which it may have been a very different ending to the game. Slocombe was very assured in his handling, Brindley scored an incredible goal and has no obvious weakness in his game, Turner and Rawlinson are surely as good a defensive pairing as there is at this level, Bakayogo played well and must be one of the best full-backs in the league that isn’t first choice.

Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; he’s now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.

Rose and Doyle gave the front four the platform on which to play; wasn’t sold on Doyle coming back in the team but he really showed how valuable he can be, winning near-enough every single second ball and barely wasting a pass in possession. Probably second only to Rawlinson in terms of the performance level today.

Wooton was well marshalled by their captain first half but gave as good as he got and came out on top in the second; Dennis has a far better all-round game than he’s given credit for, worked incredibly hard and got yet another goal. I can barely recall him playing a full game all season so his minutes/goal ratio must be outstanding.

Final word for Ardley. I am delighted for him. A month or so ago I really didn’t believe he was the man to take us forward; I didn’t think he had a clear way of playing - now we’re playing attractive football but also with a sturdiness that definitely wasn’t ever in-evidence last season. I thought he was signing way too many unnecessary players but the later additions like Booty, Wooton and Brindley have been key men.

Now I feel for the first time he’s in a relatively stable position; if we lose a game or two there’ll be no calls for his head, he has enough credit in the bank and most importantly fans will stick with him, with this squad, because they can not only see a group of players giving absolutely everything, but also a clear long-term direction/vision.

Slocombe 6 - the only reason he gets an average mark is because he had very little to do, apart from a bit of catching practice!
    Brindley 7.5 - not only solid defensively, but a world class strike for the opener.
    Rawlinson 8* - really committed performance. To say he outshone Turner says all that needs saying.
    Turner 7.5 - what we have come to expect, wins far more challenges than he loses.
    Bakayogo 7.5 - best game I've seen him play. Sound at both ends on the left, fortunately his injury seems minor.
    Shields 7 - decent going forward and played his part defensively.
    Rose 6.5 - better in the challenge than when on the ball, but had a decent game.
    Doyle 7.5 - gave the back four great protection, always available for a pass, showed what an asset he can be.
    Enzio 6.5 - most of his best work was done defensively, still caused them a few problems going forward.
    Wootton 7 - did exactly what a target man should do, and has a fair bit of skill for a big man.
    Dennis 7 - missed a sitter but scored a goal from nothing. Always looked lively.

Kelly-Evans 6.5 - probably more at home on the right, but a good option to bring on from the bench.
    Booty 6 - did his job when he came on.
    Thomas 6 - no real involvement but helped us see out the last few minutes.

A really good, committed performance against a decent team. The fact they were only good up to the final third is more down to our defensive shape than their failings. We actually looked like a team that is hard to beat. I'm still not quite ready to join the Ardley fan club, but he can be given nothing but credit for the last few games. Keep it going Neal and please make me apologise at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Slocombe 6 - the only reason he gets an average mark is because he had very little to do, apart from a bit of catching practice!
    Brindley 7.5 - not only solid defensively, but a world class strike for the opener.
    Rawlinson 8* - really committed performance. To say he outshone Turner says all that needs saying.
    Turner 7.5 - what we have come to expect, wins far more challenges than he loses.
    Bakayogo 7.5 - best game I've seen him play. Sound at both ends on the left, fortunately his injury seems minor.
    Shields 7 - decent going forward and played his part defensively.
    Rose 6.5 - better in the challenge than when on the ball, but had a decent game.
    Doyle 7.5 - gave the back four great protection, always available for a pass, showed what an asset he can be.
    Enzio 6.5 - most of his best work was done defensively, still caused them a few problems going forward.
    Wootton 7 - did exactly what a target man should do, and has a fair bit of skill for a big man.
    Dennis 7 - missed a sitter but scored a goal from nothing. Always looked lively.

Kelly-Evans 6.5 - probably more at home on the right, but a good option to bring on from the bench.
    Booty 6 - did his job when he came on.
    Thomas 6 - no real involvement but helped us see out the last few minutes.

A really good, committed performance against a decent team. The fact they were only good up to the final third is more down to our defensive shape than their failings. We actually looked like a team that is hard to beat. I'm still not quite ready to join the Ardley fan club, but he can be given nothing but credit for the last few games. Keep it going Neal and please make me apologise at the end of the season.
    What "sitter" ? Are you talking about when he hit it over the bar with his right foot?

What "sitter" ? Are you talking about when he hit it over the bar with his right foot?
    Yes.

I am a massive fan of Ardley but would be a liar if my views of him have slightly waived a tiny bit at times since he came, just thought last season he overthought it, but tbf the squad was awful. The only thing I think he has maybe got wrong this season is not having Rawlinson in the starting lineup earlier as he has been a colossus but then again by his own admission has been carrying injuries, I. am starting to get very excited by this season, feels like we have our club back.

Yes.
    He's left-footed, just like the best of us.

He's left-footed, just like the best of us.
    Oh right, I was unaware there was a rule that prevents him scoring with his right foot. He was about 8 yards out, no real challenge and only had to hit the target to score unless it was directly at their keeper.

Funnily enough, if you had asked me to choose any player that chance would fall to, I would have picked Krystian Dennis.

Oh right, I was unaware there was a rule that prevents him scoring with his right foot. He was about 8 yards out, no real challenge and only had to hit the target to score unless it was directly at their keeper.

Funnily enough, if you had asked me to choose any player that chance would fall to, I would have picked Krystian Dennis.
    There isn't a rule, makes it easier if it falls on your natural foot though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast