+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: v Brizzle

v Brizzle

Another 3 goals conceded, that's 33 in 16 away games!! Only Luton have conceded more! This explains in simple terms why we have such a crap away record. Put a ball into our box and chaos ensues, that's all teams have to do.
    Terrible.

Well summed up. Keeper nowhere, centre backs nowhere near ball all striker, don't win 1st or 2nd ball.. terrible.

Crosses are our achilles heel........... at both ends of the pitch.

Defensively we need to stop more and most come from the full backs being too far infield....... exactly where the manager wants them to be unfortunately. Once they come in there is often disarray and it leads to goals against.

Up the other end, both our goals came from players, finally, going outside their man and putting a cross in. 90% of our attacks see us trying to go through the crowded middle of the park and it makes defending all to easy for the opposition.

Thought last night we played the last 15 minutes of the first half and the first 15 minutes of the second half in experimental mode...seeing what it was like to play without a defence!

Bogle awful...Lowe - one cross apart - equally so and it was Wisdom’s worst performance since his welcome reincarnation as a CD.

That, together with Mr. Eltringham being the least competent official I’ve seen this season, is - imo - why we lost. He also seemed to be conducting his own experiment...let’s see how things go if I totally ignore handballs and fouls and just wave play on.

I’m also getting tired of various commentators’ sycophancy. I welcome Rooney and think he’s made an undeniable difference to Derby but last night, despite the commentator going into Meg Ryan mode every time he touched the ball, he was very ordinary. Rooney is a very welcome addition but Holmes was the nearest we had to a ‘conductor’ last night, not Rooney.

.... and Holmes went missing for a long period from halfway into the first half until just after their 3rd went in.

So, who needs a kick up the arse?? The Manager for squeezing everything into the middle and leaving us exposed in the wide areas or the defenders AND goalie who **** themselves when any meaningful ball comes in??
    This has been a constant all season so the first port of call can only be the manager. Either a) the penny hasn't dropped or b) he considers it a worthwhile risk. If it's a) god help us, if it's b) well it ain't working!!
    Either way sort it!!

Indeed mac, sort it. In my coaching days over here, this "kantelen" (tilting) of the back 4 was as commonplace as it is today. The difference was that we taught players about "angles and distances". The full backs moved inside to condence the playing area just as they do today. However, they were taught to be aware of where their "man" was and always be at the correct angle and distance from him to be able to (in order of preference) a) intercept the pass b) tackle the recipient or c) put him under pressure and make him try something, hopefully forcing him into a mistake. These days our FBs are getting their 3 hours later (slight exaggeration, I know....).

Why that isn't coached today (seems not to be anyway...) is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Indeed mac, sort it. In my coaching days over here, this "kantelen" (tilting) of the back 4 was as commonplace as it is today. The difference was that we taught players about "angles and distances". The full backs moved inside to condence the playing area just as they do today. However, they were taught to be aware of where their "man" was and always be at the correct angle and distance from him to be able to (in order of preference) a) intercept the pass b) tackle the recipient or c) put him under pressure and make him try something, hopefully forcing him into a mistake. These days our FBs are getting their 3 hours later (slight exaggeration, I know....).

Why that isn't coached today (seems not to be anyway...) is a mystery to me.
    Lets be honest here! Bristol were pretty average and there for the taking
    Both fullbacks can't defend a cross for the hell of it

The blame must land a Cocu
    If the back four was Wisdom Davies Clake and Forsyth I beleive we would of won easy . all their chances came from both Bogel and Lowe failing to stop the cross coming in the box , wether their miss leading to a corner and then a goal

They both shouldn't be anywhere near a flat back four .The only way I consider playing them is if we played a back three

A professional football manager should see that they both can't defend
    A bigger stronger back four we would of won easily 2 nil I'm sure of it

The trouble is teams know this is our Achilles heel! Yes, we get away with it at times but you can't keep gifting 2 goals away from home and hope to get consistent results. Its time for a rethink Mr Coco!!

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    Lets be honest here! Bristol were pretty average and there for the taking
    Both fullbacks can't defend a cross for the hell of it

The blame must land a Cocu
    If the back four was Wisdom Davies Clake and Forsyth I beleive we would of won easy . all their chances came from both Bogel and Lowe failing to stop the cross coming in the box , wether their miss leading to a corner and then a goal

They both shouldn't be anywhere near a flat back four .The only way I consider playing them is if we played a back three

A professional football manager should see that they both can't defend
    A bigger stronger back four we would of won easily 2 nil I'm sure of it
    This is one of the most sensible posts I've read on here for a while! Still there are those that will point to an upturn in form as being the dawn of a late season run, can't see it myself.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)