+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bury face winding up order tomorrow

Would be really sad if Bury went. First time I saw Millers at Gigg Lane (went the season before but it was postponed) in mid 60's and Rotherham were top of 2nd Division and Bury bottom. Obviously a shoe in for the Millers. Yeah right. Shakers 6, Millers 1. They had a young unknown player called Colin Bell in the side. I wonder what happened to him? Despite the score, I have always thought that they were a bit like the Millers in the fact that they were a small club in the shadow of bigger neighbours who sometimes gave their fans a few years in the second tier. Add to that the fact that that if you went to a Millers v Bury match in the 60's you were disappointed if you didn't see at least 5 goals. Plus the fact that they have, like the Millers had their financial troubles. Hope they survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Strange that we still have this irrational desire for football clubs to survive under any means possible

The club owes the tax man about £1 million of which most if not all will never be paid, and we think that’s ok.

Should however a company like Amazon, or some well known celebrity avoids paying £1million tax we think that’s scandalous.

Odd.
    I think even the tax man recognises that football clubs are an integral part of their communities and thousands of fan's lives. I think that this is at least a factor in them being more patient than in most cases?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think even the tax man recognises that football clubs are an integral part of their communities and thousands of fan's lives. I think that this is at least a factor in them being more patient than in most cases?
    Maybe but in times of austerity and many things need more funding perhaps collecting the money earlier before it accumulates might be better.

Don’t want any club to go to the wall. But I’ve a long memory of them waving £5 notes at us at a night game at gigg lane when we was struggling. Hope they have it really hard until they pull through. May just make them think in future.

No chance. Collection procedures for unpaid PAYE exactly the same for football clubs as any other business. HMRC always vote against proposed CVAs for football clubs. They used to be preferential creditors - not any more. Clubs are allowed to pay football related debts first - an arrangement HMRC has tried to overturn.
    No Mr Nice guy as far as football clubs are concerned

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    No chance. Collection procedures for unpaid PAYE exactly the same for football clubs as any other business. HMRC always vote against proposed CVAs for football clubs. They used to be preferential creditors - not any more. Clubs are allowed to pay football related debts first - an arrangement HMRC has tried to overturn.
    No Mr Nice guy as far as football clubs are concerned
    Fair enough Wrinks. Just seems that the tax collector seems to be oddly inefficient in winding up footy clubs compared to private companies and individual tax players. Guess it's more complicated

Fair enough Wrinks. Just seems that the tax collector seems to be oddly inefficient in winding up footy clubs compared to private companies and individual tax players. Guess it's more complicated
    That’s only because Wrinkly left his Desk at HER Majesty’s Tax Office !

Wonder how long it will be till we follow the other euro country's with 2 main league ond a few semi pro leagues. It was ok 40 year ago to have 92 plus top flight teams as the money invested (wasted) wasn't there.
    When you look at the top 40 richest English clubs I would say 90% of them finished in the top 40 ( league position wise).

It's sad to see but over the next 5-10 years were going to see a huge change

Manager gone to Plymouth and taken two players with him this week.
    New Manager from Truro City.
    Fans are not expecting them to win any matches this season as most players have left.
    Current owner is pushing for a CVA by 9 July and the inevitable points deduction.

Only shining light for them is that Dave Jones is assistant who did know something about football at certain stages of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    Would be really sad if Bury went. First time I saw Millers at Gigg Lane (went the season before but it was postponed) in mid 60's and Rotherham were top of 2nd Division and Bury bottom. Obviously a shoe in for the Millers. Yeah right. Shakers 6, Millers 1. They had a young unknown player called Colin Bell in the side. I wonder what happened to him? Despite the score, I have always thought that they were a bit like the Millers in the fact that they were a small club in the shadow of bigger neighbours who sometimes gave their fans a few years in the second tier. Add to that the fact that that if you went to a Millers v Bury match in the 60's you were disappointed if you didn't see at least 5 goals. Plus the fact that they have, like the Millers had their financial troubles. Hope they survive.
    I was at that match as well, didn't Ray Pointer score 5 for them? Massive Millers following and very vocal too, at least until the goals kept going in.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast