+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Threads

Was more of a Dickens, Cross Keys and Mail Coach man.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    Was more of a Dickens, Cross Keys and Mail Coach man.
    Used to drink in a pub either on Brecks Lane or Dalton Lane on the way down to Dalton from Ridgeway. There's a pub there now called Dene Brook but not sure if the one I used has been demolished. I remember it being nearer the road.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Used to drink in a pub either on Brecks Lane or Dalton Lane on the way down to Dalton from Ridgeway. There's a pub there now called Dene Brook but not sure if the one I used has been demolished. I remember it being nearer the road.
    Monty, it’s alwzys been the dene brook. Used to frequent it very well in the early 80’s. Maybe your mind is playing tricks on you as it as always been slightly set back off the road.

It’s the only pub I’ve known for years on that stretch of country lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Monty, it’s alwzys been the dene brook. Used to frequent it very well in the early 80’s. Maybe your mind is playing tricks on you as it as always been slightly set back off the road.

Must admit I don't recall any other put there.

Brin, you must be right. It's exactly in the right location. Must be getting confused in my dotage.

Brin next time I visit St Bede's churchyard I'll take a stroll up to Hartley Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Brin next time I visit St Bede's churchyard I'll take a stroll up to Hartley Lane.
    Monty, alas you will not be able to go down the Lane itself, it's now a scrapyard!

I found out in later life the reason why we moved was because the banking supporting the railway houses was eroding pretty fast hence the move out and swift demolishing of them.

Do I class myself as a true towny having been born less than a mile from the town centre? Like Cocknees say there a true Landaner because they were born within 1 mile of the sound of Bow Bells? Ironic really as I was born in the suburb of Thornhill and now live on a road with the same name.

Monty, alas you will not be able to go down the Lane itself, it's now a scrapyard!

I found out in later life the reason why we moved was because the banking supporting the railway houses was eroding pretty fast hence the move out and swift demolishing of them.

Do I class myself as a true towny having been born less than a mile from the town centre? Like Cocknees say there a true Landaner because they were born within 1 mile of the sound of Bow Bells? Ironic really as I was born in the suburb of Thornhill and now live on a road with the same name.
    Interesting that the houses you lived in all seem to have collapsed! Yes you definitely qualify as a true towny - Lincsmiller lived not far from you on Chemist lane.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 12-09-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Yes, everywhere I've been seemed to have collapsed after I left.

Just thinking of all those tunnels/roadways I helped dig out underground, what cave in's they left

Yes, everywhere I've been seemed to have collapsed after I left.

Just thinking of all those tunnels/roadways I helped dig out underground, what cave in's they left
    Brin, if you live on Thornhill Avenue (if) in Brinsworth I note you have a Ridgeway Road running off. Spooky!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast