+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did it all go wrong - the mistakes

Where did it all go wrong - the mistakes

I’m going to start with :
    - Appointing Kiwomya
    - Not replacing the injured jimmy spencer (his absence that season cost us dear as he was on fire the season before. He got injured pre season and we did nothing to try and replace him
    - Sacking Derry (his budget had been decimated and we ended the season just one win away from staying up - I still think he would have kept us up)
    - Sacking Moniz (at the time I agreed with this but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Looking back he was sacked on the evidence of one result at Salford. Yes we were totally unprepared for that game - but he was a good coach and I think he would have worked out league 2 at the very least given time
    - Fullerton (say no more)

- this season

Well let’s start with an overweight drunken manager. How did anyone let him get that way ?
    Then the orders to reduce the age of the squad - all well and good but we just brought in lilly lightweights and players we simply did not need : Vaughan, Dennis etc.
    I said last August that we had the most unbalanced squad I have ever known in 40 years of watching notts and that we would be this years Chesterfield. sadly I was right.
    It was right to sack Nolan he had made an embarrassment of himself. Kewell could have been ok I think - but his personality clashed with big al.
    Ardley is a good guy - he looks absolutely broken though and should have taken more time off rather than join this sinking vessel.

Maybe relegation will be ok - this club needs complete route and branch re construction. New owner , new manager and lots of hungry new players not last pay packet grabbers.

I’m sure I’ve missed a few things ?

Quote Originally Posted by cjpieman View Post
    - Appointing Kiwomya
    - Not replacing the injured jimmy spencer (his absence that season cost us dear as he was on fire the season before. He got injured pre season and we did nothing to try and replace him
    - Sacking Derry (his budget had been decimated and we ended the season just one win away from staying up - I still think he would have kept us up)
    - Sacking Moniz (at the time I agreed with this but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Looking back he was sacked on the evidence of one result at Salford. Yes we were totally unprepared for that game - but he was a good coach and I think he would have worked out league 2 at the very least given time

- this season

Well let’s start with an overweight drunken manager. How did anyone let him get that way ?
    Then the orders to reduce the age of the squad - all well and good but we just brought in lilly lightweights and players we simply did not need : Vaughan, Dennis etc.
    I said last August that we had the most unbalanced squad I have ever known in 40 years of watching notts and that we would be this years Chesterfield. sadly I was right.
    It was right to sack Nolan he had made an embarrassment of himself. Kewell could have been ok I think - but his personality clashed with big al.
    Ardley is a good guy - he looks absolutely broken though and should have taken more time off rather than join this sinking vessel.

Maybe relegation will be ok - this club needs complete route and branch re construction. New owner , new manager and lots of hungry new players not last pay packet grabbers.

We'll be ok, #faith, #trust, #promotion #5year plan #future england manager #you're in for a treat

I suspect that anyone who gave him straightforward practical advice was sacked for not being positive enough and so he was only left with those who'd take a pay packet to say "yes sir, three bags full sir".

* Not buying Glen Roeder

* Not going ahead with the monorail

* Seriously - not keeping Steve Cotterill

* Seriously - Getting Murphy in

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    * Not buying Glen Roeder

* Not going ahead with the monorail

* Seriously - not keeping Steve Cotterill

* Seriously - Getting Murphy in
    Can we go back that far? OK, not getting promoted to the top flight before Forest when we were both in Division 2 in the 70s. The year Forest went up, we were 3rd at Easter but only won 1 of the last 7 games.

More recently:
    Warnock buying Agana who we didn't need, which just served to annoy Pavis
    Pavis appointing Brazil to replace Allardyce
    Trew costing us momentum after being Champions
    Hardy and Nolan cocking up that Jan transfer window when we were heading for promotion
    Appointing Ardley, the final nail in the coffin

Appointing Ardley

Quote Originally Posted by cjpieman View Post
    - Appointing Kiwomya

- this season

The seeds of our downfall were planted a long time ago

In fact it can be traced back to 1991. When o,riordan was injured first match, and the sale of paul rideout which lead to our relegation from the top flight. Colin slater has mentioned several times that the path the club would have taken , would have been very different if we had stayed up , as the following season the premier league was formed. With all that money he doubts that Notts would have rarely dropped out of the top 2 leagues.

Namely this season we went wrong appointing Ardley , he may be a good bloke, but is so far out of his depth, and is mostly the entire reason for notts counties demise. Points wise per a game, only worse one was fullarton, as notts counties worst manager in the last 30 years

I blame Meindert Dijkstra.....

Yeah i do remember Drjkstra- didnt he score an own goal against Derby

Yep and it’s been almost downhill ever since....

Still the only way is up!!

Yes i hope so , that the only way is up

They were heady days playing the likes of Derby at home, soon it could be the likes of Dover and Bromley . At least we we saw Notts in the higher divisions, sadly some of the younger supporters probably never will..

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Yeah i do remember Drjkstra- didnt he score an own goal against Derby
    Remember that night at the Baseball Ground pretty much stopped us getting into the play offs.

93rd min OG I thought it was bad when we went down under Slade now look at us.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast