+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol absolutely smashed by Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    But, the foundations for us to get promotion this year are NOT there. We've lost 10 so far and with 20 games left we can't get auto IMO.

The day CW says the board didn't back him is the day I agree with the 'sh*t of bust' brigade.

I still say the best window to buy is in the summer.......we need to progress at the right pace in this league and build a team capable of going up and then staying up.
    I’m not sure why you just keep on focusing on auto Chippy, the main push is to establish ourselves in the play offs first and see what happens, it’s wide open mate. Huddersfield lost 15 games and got promoted and Leeds and Middlesbrough have lost 9 games this season, we’re not on our own. Are you saying that we’re not already as good as them or Villa, Bristol and Cardif despite what our own eyes have seen?

Aya's last sentence " As long as we keep Tufty" is very pertinent to the issue.

He's shown he's ambitious, talented with a great desire to succeed, to progress, to develop, to build.

He's also shown he's a realist in his transfer dealings, has acumen, knowledge and a good eye for a bargain/developing talent.

I don't think that, unlike some on here, he's the sort of person not to have a bloody good go when the opportunity presents itself.

He will have realistic expectations about what/who he needs.

Not to back him could leave Aya's wishes in tatters.

End this small time mentality and HAVE A GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    If literally any other team in this league lost four or five of their first eleven I'm sure they'd struggle too. That's what the transfer market is for.
    Well, this isn't theoretical. We HAVE lost four or five or our influential first teamers, and as far as I see it HAS affected us very badly. Other teams either haven't got the problem, or are able to cope much better. One win in nine says we can't ignore recent form and just assume that if we carry on regardless with a few new ones, that it's bound to all turn out wonderfully. Probably another four/five defeats and play-offs will be out of reach, imo.

So heres the question. How many do we really need to bring in now, and I'll ask the question again (in the hope that someone might answer...) who have we ever bought in a January transfer window who proved to be influential for our season.

minimum of 3 to have a chance of top 6

I genuinely think there’s a fear of promotion in some Blades and that I can fully understand. The Premier League and the way that Sky portrays it seems a million miles away from what our club is all about right now.

But every club, manager, coach and player in football has to strive for the very top, that’s what the league system is all about, and if a club is simply happy to tread water and play the ‘suck it and see’ card, it risks losing its best players, manager and worst of all a fan base that because of Wilder and Knill has grown by nearly 30% and will keep on growing if we continue to show a little bit ambition even if we don’t get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Aya's last sentence " As long as we keep Tufty" is very pertinent to the issue.

He's shown he's ambitious, talented with a great desire to succeed, to progress, to develop, to build.

He's also shown he's a realist in his transfer dealings, has acumen, knowledge and a good eye for a bargain/developing talent.

I don't think that, unlike some on here, he's the sort of person not to have a bloody good go when the opportunity presents itself.

He will have realistic expectations about what/who he needs.

Not to back him could leave Aya's wishes in tatters.

End this small time mentality and HAVE A GO.
    If the approaches muted on here by some are replicated in the boardroom the irony is it will achieve the one outcome they want least,the departure of Wilder.
    I quote him word for word.

" I DON'T DO CONSOLIDATION"

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Well, this isn't theoretical. We HAVE lost four or five or our influential first teamers, and as far as I see it HAS affected us very badly. Other teams either haven't got the problem, or are able to cope much better. One win in nine says we can't ignore recent form and just assume that if we carry on regardless with a few new ones, that it's bound to all turn out wonderfully. Probably another four/five defeats and play-offs will be out of reach, imo.

So heres the question. How many do we really need to bring in now, and I'll ask the question again (in the hope that someone might answer...) who have we ever bought in a January transfer window who proved to be influential for our season.
    Yes, exactly. It has, so we need to do something about that. What's your suggestion, that we just write the season off because we've lost some players? That's utterly, utterly defeatist.

I don't know how many we need to bring in now. That's the job of the manager to decide, and the job of the board to back him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    Yes, exactly. It has, so we need to do something about that. What's your suggestion, that we just write the season off because we've lost some players? That's utterly, utterly defeatist.

I don't know how many we need to bring in now. That's the job of the manager to decide, and the job of the board to back him.
    Life in my humble experience is all about knowing which battles to fight, when to go all in and when to bide your time, but each to his own. Sometimes the turn of the card is kind to you, often it isn't. Not being defeatest, just my opinion. (and no-one has answered the 'who have we bought in the JTW...etc' question yet...)

Look, I think we're all just spinning around now, kind of arguing for the same thing from two different angles. We all agree that we need some new players and that we hope that will improve our current form and get us into the top six by the final game. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with any of that. Its really just a question of what that means, how much risk it involves, how much cash that involves and having seen the outcome, what interprettation of the ambition of the club and/or manager we want to put on it, (and how angry we are going to be if it doesn't meet our arbitarily set expectations...).

Time to move on. I'll only be commenting on actual transfers for the rest of the JTW.
    Last edited by FatherKnowsBest; 03-01-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    If the approaches muted on here by some are replicated in the boardroom the irony is it will achieve the one outcome they want least,the departure of Wilder.
    I quote him word for word.

" I DON'T DO CONSOLIDATION"
    Let's hope the board heard him.

Can't wait for the various 'interpretations' of what he really meant.

Wilder will not waste the clubs money

That doesn't mean he doesn't want any
    It doesn't mean that eventually he doesn't want a lot

It just means he won't waste it

You can buy a good £10 million pound player
    And you can buy a bad £10 million pound player just as easily as you can buy a bad £50,000 player

But Wilder won't waste the clubs money

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast