+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nolan's press conference

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Regarding the facts about Nolan as a manager, rather than subjective opinions, or concerns about playing style, he took over a team that was on course for National League football and led us to safety reasonably comfortably. Last season he led us to the play-offs, which again is a significant improvement.
    Exactly, rather than opinions those are facts which I doubt many would dispute. Nolan has performed better than could be reasonably expected so far, however I think we all know this is the make or break season for him. The chairman's investment has naturally led to a fair bit of expectation from supporters, and the bar is definitely set higher than it was in the last couple of seasons. It remains to be seen whether Nolan is up to the challenge, but I'll wait until he's failed rather than criticise after one game.

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post
    As for results, well yes of course he has improved things but when you walk into a demotivated dressing room you will often find the players are ready for a fresh start and respond to it.
    From a Notts County perspective that is complete and utter bollox, as our revolving door for managers proves.

It's laughable that some on here think the standard of reffing has declined over the past few years. Why's that then? A severe reduction in the thiamine content of the refs' Weetabix?
    What has changed is the laws of the game and the strictures that determine how those laws are enforced. Additionally many fans expect the reffing to match the levels seen on TV in the Premier League without the same means of checking and reinforcement.
    Refs will always make mistakes but there's no grounds for thinking they are making more of them as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The chairman's investment has naturally led to a fair bit of expectation from supporters, and the bar is definitely set higher than it was in the last couple of seasons. It remains to be seen whether Nolan is up to the challenge, but I'll wait until he's failed rather than criticise after one game.
    There's no doubt that expectations have increased, and I'm amongst those who have tipped us to finish in the top three. However, I'm realistic that extra investment doesn't give any team an automatic right to promotion. There are all sorts of variables which affect a team's chances, some of which are within the manager's control, but also some which aren't. Football and sport in general is not an exact science, otherwise it would be entirely predictable and nobody would bother betting on it.

I think Hardy has said the minimum acceptable target this season is another play-off finish, and ideally he wants promotion. I think that's a reasonable view, and if Nolan falls short of that then he can expect to be under pressure, but providing we're within reach of those targets I would leave the manager to get on with his job. The chopping and changing of managers by previous owners proved to be a disaster, so the aim should be to achieve stability with this manager unless we go disastrously off course. The improvement in our league performances over the past two seasons should earn Kevin Nolan the most valuable commodity any manager can have, namely time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    It's laughable that some on here think the standard of reffing has declined over the past few years. Why's that then? A severe reduction in the thiamine content of the refs' Weetabix?
    What has changed is the laws of the game and the strictures that determine how those laws are enforced. Additionally many fans expect the reffing to match the levels seen on TV in the Premier League without the same means of checking and reinforcement.
    Refs will always make mistakes but there's no grounds for thinking they are making more of them as time goes on.
    I think there's an element of truth in what you say, which is one of the reasons I'm fully in favour of VAR to help referees review some of the more complex decisions they now have to make and improve the number of times they get the final call right.

However, it's not all about that. I cannot ever remember a time when I've seen referees and their assistants (at our level) making so many obvious errors on basic calls, such as which player/team kicked the ball out of play, or missing obvious fouls, or giving fouls for obvious dives. You're right, it is always subjective, and during a season you will always get the odd game where the ref has a "stinker", but the number of "stinkers" definitely seems to have increased.

From a Notts County perspective that is complete and utter bollox, as our revolving door for managers proves.
    And from a football perspective your argument is as you beautifully put it "complete and utter bollox". So your suggesting that the entity that is Notts County somehow effects how managers behave or that our revolving door is completely down to the manager's and not other forces (ie a prat of an owner)?

Furthermore, have you forgotten that Nolan's arrival coincided with the club getting a new owner who was talking about fresh starts and new dawns?

Previous defeats aside that was a really good time to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post
    And from a football perspective your argument is as you beautifully put it "complete and utter bollox". So your suggesting that the entity that is Notts County somehow effects how managers behave or that our revolving door is completely down to the manager's and not other forces (ie a prat of an owner)?
    To football fans in general the 'new manager bounce' theory has some merit.

To Notts County fans (last time I looked this was a messageboard for Notts County fans) it's complete and utter bollox. Whether Alan Hardy can change that remains to be seen.

To football fans in general the 'new manager bounce' theory has some merit.

To Notts County fans (last time I looked this was a messageboard for Notts County fans) it's complete and utter bollox. Whether Alan Hardy can change that remains to be seen.
    The best advice I can give to Alan Hardy, based on the experiences of previous owners, is to have as few new managers as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Generally speaking, I don't like to see managers rant and rave at referees, but I have to say, in 25 years watching football at all levels I've never known the standard of officiating to be so consistently poor as we've seen in the past two or three seasons in League Two. I think it would try the patience of a saint, and I wouldn't say Nolan is any worse on the touchline than various other managers.

Regarding the facts about Nolan as a manager, rather than subjective opinions, or concerns about playing style, he took over a team that was on course for National League football and led us to safety reasonably comfortably. Last season he led us to the play-offs, which again is a significant improvement. Like many, I'd like to see us start to develop a more attractive style of play this season, and I think we have signed players capable of doing it, but overall there is no question that Nolan's influence has been positive in terms of results, compared with the mess we were in when he took over. There is no logical reason for anyone to be overly critical of the manager's performance to date, especially compared with what went previously.
    Nolan as only won 7 games from the last 23 games since January.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Nolan as only won 7 games from the last 23 games since January.
    Fair point, made with a lot fewer words than the complacent opinion you were arguing against.

Actually, to add a few more, Alan Hardy will make whatever decision is right at the time it needs to be made, so I have no concerns. The thing is, KN is wedded to 4-4-2. He tried it last year with Hawkridge and Alessandra and he's trying it again with Bouldewijn and Thomas. It still doesn't work.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 05-08-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast