+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering the good times

Remembering the good times

Watching some videos on YouTube this morning and remembering the good times and how lucky we've been over the last decade or so .
    Our Scottish Cup run of 2007/08 , our European debut ( 9 years ago today ) , that trip to Denmark , our league and Ramsden Cup winning team under the leadership of Allan Johnston , beating teams like Rangers & Hibs

Memories like these will live with us forever and we should be forever grateful for what we've achieved

Mon the South

https://youtu.be/ee-nvVa6wOw

Queens have definitely been punching above their weight for the past decade or so, for a provincial club.

it's maybe because of our recent success that people's expectations remain too high

could watch that video forever . Brilliant memories

It sure does bring a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. Wonderful memories indeed.

Yup,still makes me fill up watching that.Never say die and have a go football.Wish it would return to Palmerston.

Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    it's maybe because of our recent success that people's expectations remain too high

yep i think its because we kept improving to a decent level then instead of finding a way to keep the upward momentum going ,queens slowly went the opposite way back into there shell ,seen that happen 5 or 6 times in the past following queens happened 2 or 3 times in the 80s ,had a team getting better and better crowds increasing match by match ,then suddenly boom rapid style onto the backfoot ,queens will always be the same until thay get a serious backer behind them ,we get to a certain level then suddenly cut back again ,thats whats put fans off over the decades ,example a massive resurgence in the mid 80s between 85 and 88 ,then boom ,then from around 1999 to 2003 say then boom again then 2007 to 2010 then big boom ,the latest biulding up a decent young team finishing every season with a chance of promotion ,then boom again back to drawing board ,what queens need is when thay start to get some momentum going ,keep it going ,only way to keep fans and build fanbase .

One of the best days of my life for sure. Had a grin on my face for weeks!
    Probably tops the other 3 matches that were right up there:

1. The Scottish Cup replay 5-4 win in the '70s against Ayr Utd
    2. The win at Forfar to seal the league title
    3. The Cup Final itself, and especially JTs equaliser

The 2 Challenge Cup wins not far behind, and the early Challenge Cup final against Falkirk at Fir Park, even though we lost.

In the dark days of the late 80s and early 90s I never thought I'd see the dizzy heights and excitement of the Ayr win again, but how wrong can you be. I wonder what's around the corner...................!

Quote Originally Posted by QOS5Ayr4 View Post
    One of the best days of my life for sure. Had a grin on my face for weeks!
    Probably tops the other 3 matches that were right up there:

1. The Scottish Cup replay 5-4 win in the '70s against Ayr Utd
    2. The win at Forfar to seal the league title
    3. The Cup Final itself, and especially JTs equaliser

The 2 Challenge Cup wins not far behind, and the early Challenge Cup final against Falkirk at Fir Park, even though we lost.

In the dark days of the late 80s and early 90s I never thought I'd see the dizzy heights and excitement of the Ayr win again, but how wrong can you be. I wonder what's around the corner...................!

I've witnessed some dreadful football over the years but every so often we've seen games like the ones mentioned above that will live with us forever . I'd hate to be one of these glory hunters who only supports a team becuase they win things

C'mon the South

Sitting here,twenty to two in the morning.A few pints and cans of Thatchers gold,Strongbow and Frosty Jack having been consumed.Downstairs because of oldbags' snoring keeping me awake.I have come back on to watch this clip again,and,as usual, I cannot help but get emotional.I think the editing with the Bowie "Heroes" soundtrack is the part that really gets to me.A brilliant touch to the video,the work of a genius.
    As to the match itself and the subsequent cup final,both days were surreal.I just was in a daze,not believing that it was my team,Queen of the South,that were actually there,at Hampden Park,playing in a Scottish cup semi final (and final!)My personal best memory of the Aberdeen match was at the end,where I was literally standing on my seat with my arms spread wide just staring out over the park and the celebrating Qos masses,open mouthed not able to take things in,when the current administrator of this board came up to me absolutely crying his eyes out and giving me one huge hug.Now that was something else!!
    However,on a personal note,the greatest ever moment in my life as a Queens fan was the game before....The Dundee "84 yards" quarter final at Palmerston!!
    As a Queens fan from 8 years old (1965) It was always my dream to see Queens make it to the Scottish cup at Hampden for at least a semi final.43 years later Ryan McCann made that dream come true in a game that shall live with me forever.Up until then, the best ever Queens moment was the Ayr win at Palmerston in 1976.However that had no comparison to the near orgasmic experience of the Dundee victory.Knowing that MY TEAM, QUEEN OF THE SOUTH had made it to Hampden.Anything after that was merely an anti climax.Don't get me wrong,this Aberdeen game was still thrilling and it will always be remembered,as will be the cup final.Jim Thomsons' goal actually having me,Queens'greatest cynic believing that we could "do it"
    I would LOVE to think that Queens could do it again in my lifetime.If so, could my Dundee moment be bettered...........HMMMMM that's up to Queens!
    'MON THE SOUTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)