+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Francewhite View Post
    Dirty Leeds is a dirty lie! Read the FACTS:

The tag ‘Dirty Leeds’ was invented by newspapers but, importantly, confirmed by the Football Association in the summer of 1964, as Leeds United prepared to play their first season in the First Division since Don Revie became manager.

The FA’s official journal published an article about increasing ill discipline besmirching the beautiful game, saying foul play was threatening soccer’s future. It wasn’t enough to make a general point; the article included a table of disciplinary points with Leeds at the top, leaving readers in no doubt about how the FA already viewed Revie’s Leeds: as an affront to their game.

Of course the table didn’t tell the full story, and Revie put the FA straight. It included points incurred by the club’s junior and schoolboy teams, accounting for the vast majority of United’s offences; we can only imagine now what the level of aggro was in the Leeds schools’ leagues in 1963, compared with, say, Buckinghamshire. The first team had been one of the few in the Second Division not to have a player sent off, and only one Leeds player had been booked often enough to be suspended; Billy Bremner, obviously.

“We would point out that we have only had two players sent off at Leeds in the last 44 years,” said Revie. “We maintain that the ‘dirty team’ tag which was blown up by the press could prejudice not only the general public but the officials controlling the game, and, to put it mildly, could have an effect on the subconscious approach of both referee and linesmen, to say nothing of the minds of spectators, especially some types who are watching football today. It could lead to some very unsavoury incidents.”

Revie was right. As a Second Division team there had been no television coverage and scant newspaper attention to Leeds United’s play, other than the London press’ increasing condemnation of their physical approach. Nobody had seen them play, but the reports in the papers and in the FA’s own journal meant the First Division expected war. Few teams at that time regarded themselves as shrinking violets, so when Leeds took to the pitch, they faced sides that were determined to get their retaliation in first, so that before Albert Johanneson could dazzle on one wing, Johnny Giles work craftily on the other, or Billy Bremner control the game with intelligence and skill, Bremner, Norman Hunter and Jack Charlton had to stamp their authority on opponents determined to quell Leeds’ reputed violence before it started. ‘Dirty Leeds’ had been an unearned tag bestowed by the media and the authorities, and it became, as Don Revie predicted, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

How long that endured, and how much it influenced what followed for Leeds, remains a source of debate, that is still relevant now. Leeds, meeting Italian teams first in friendlies and then in the Fairs Cup, had felt they had no choice but to take the game to the limits of the rulebook if it was to compete with them; and with the entire First Division out to get them, they adopted the role of villains, so easily that perhaps even they forgot they were acting. The unfairness of that initial report, blaming Hunter and co for the actions of some twelve year olds in the school age teams, became the start of a plague of injustice against Leeds, from Peter Lorimer’s disallowed goal in the 1967 FA Cup semi-final, to the European Cup final in 1975, to the linesman who declared Wes Brown’s own goal offside in 2001, denying a win over Manchester United that would have taken Leeds back into the Champions League.

So leave the gutter press to get on with it and read the truth.
    Far enough,but Leeds just doesn't have the same ring to it as Dirty Leeds does Frenchy..

Quote Originally Posted by mick64 View Post
    First game October 1964, first upset 1965 cup final followed over the last 55 years by numerous disappointments but also 3 League championships, a second division title, an FA cup, a League Cup, 2 Euro titles and plenty of semi final appearances. I hope to see our great club back in the elite one day hopefully under Bielsa’s leadership. Being a Leeds fan, you get used to the disappointment and the ridicule but what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. MOT
    What I was trying to say Mick....but put more eloquently!

65 came up from the 2nd div. Our first season in Div1 lost the league on goal difference to scum and the FA cup in extra time to L'pool.....the rest is as you say...history

As the great one said on his book title "You get nowt for being second"

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    How sad are they pal???

Apparently it will go down in their history that they beat Leeds in the play-offs and kept them in the championship..even if they get beat by villa..what a sad bunch of tossers!

Well seen as tho they are so bothered about history I bet they are gutted that Man City equalled the record score for a cup final when they beat Watford 6-0..the other record was Bury (Bury ) 6-0 Derby County.

Hi Rev mate, they are a bunch of sad sacks that muttonhead bunch huh....mind I can't stand that club, team, manager and halfwit fans either. I couldn't say I'd wish LEEDS to lose though just to hinder that bunch, says it all eh.

Nothing against Villa and I'd like to see them shut the muttonheads up. Along with that golden bollox tw*t of a manager.

Not exactly sure what could be worse than getting money from a terrorist family that's blown up thousands of civilians and destroyed countless families lives. If that doesn't get you a points deduction I don't what does. Just shows the entire lack of character of the FA.

Not sure on the grooming issue. That's seems to be pretty much par for the course for some of the vermin that infest their system. pretty much a badge of honor for those types.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    smacks of double standards - you like com8ng on here and shouting the odds but someone points out something about your club and it’s nothing. Not saying it is but that in itself is a great example of how others see Leeds and why we love are own but couldn’t care one way or the other if you are not Leeds.
    Not really, plenty of things United have done this past decade I've not agreed with. A loan from an Arab company ain't one of those things.

My point was to ask what the Leeds snowflakey Little Lord Fauntleroy sense of entitlement was about. "Mammy, Mammy, we're so massivest why dunt we get to play int same league as all them big clubs ??? Wahhhhhhh"
    Last edited by Katchouro; 20-05-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Katch is a self confessed Leeds hater..only expect to see him post here if we feck up in the league or there is a bit of bullsh1t about us.

He won't want to talk about the bin-laden family loan links or that nonce of a keeper they got from scum who was sending photo's/grooming a 14yr old school girl..best we don't mention things like that as it will spoil his hate-Leeds agenda.
    Eyup it's rev again. One of the many posts he's made after he'd said he was taking the summer off from dropping his online wisdom.

Your beef with Deano seems personal m8. Wassup ? You upset with him because he's not on Grindr ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    Not really, plenty of things United have done this past decade I've not agreed with. A loan from an Arab company ain't one of those things.

My point was to ask what the Leeds snowflakey Little Lord Fauntleroy sense of entitlement was about. "Mammy, Mammy, we're so massivest why dunt we get to play int same league as all them big clubs ??? Wahhhhhhh"
    As with my response to another interloper (Alf) I'll overlook comments for Leeds fans on a Leeds board, but not from the likes of you (or Alf).

If you're going to post here, at least take the trouble to

1. Read the posts carefully, several times over if need be, so you actually understand the purpose and direction of what is written,

or

2. F00k off back to whatever stone you crept out from under and stop making a fool of yourself, without putting any more pressure on the limited amount of grey matter between those big ears of yours.

The query was whether Leeds would ever gain promotion, not that any fans were of the opinion that we were in any way, shape or form, entitled to such a promotion. If you really can't grasp the difference between a fan asking of other fans if they think we will ever GET promoted, and some delusional assertion that any Leeds fans believe were are so entitled, then that grey matter of yours really does need a top up, ok pumpkin?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    As with my response to another interloper (Alf) I'll overlook comments for Leeds fans on a Leeds board, but not from the likes of you (or Alf).

If you're going to post here, at least take the trouble to

1. Read the posts carefully, several times over if need be, so you actually understand the purpose and direction of what is written,

or

2. F00k off back to whatever stone you crept out from under and stop making a fool of yourself, without putting any more pressure on the limited amount of grey matter between those big ears of yours.

The query was whether Leeds would ever gain promotion, not that any fans were of the opinion that we were in any way, shape or form, entitled to such a promotion. If you really can't grasp the difference between a fan asking of other fans if they think we will ever GET promoted, and some delusional assertion that any Leeds fans believe were are so entitled, then that grey matter of yours really does need a top up, ok pumpkin?
    You're an emotional chap aren't you ? As for someone making a fool of themselves on here, how could anyone tell ?

My query was re the unchallenged nonsense spouted by 'francewhite'. A legitimate query. Why does he think Leeds are more deserving of PL football than Norwich ? What is that absurd mentality really all about ?
    Last edited by Katchouro; 20-05-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    Eyup it's rev again. One of the many posts he's made after he'd said he was taking the summer off from dropping his online wisdom.

Your beef with Deano seems personal m8. Wassup ? You upset with him because he's not on Grindr ?
    You seem to know a lot about Grindr Katch..never heard of it before you mentioned it..best you leave this one in the closet..its not my thing.

Bit of advice lads..don't feed the troll and eventually he will ferk off.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)