+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fao 59/60

We won't be taken out of the EU with this WA though 59, that's the whole point of this thread. The authors aren't simply expressing concerns, they are pointing out the facts about the situation in which this deal will leave the UK, about which 99.9 % of the population, including your good self are unaware. And yet we could be asked to vote on it, indeed you even advocate having a vote on it.
    I agree with the fact that should we sign up to the WA then that would be a shocking outcome. Don't you want an opportunity to tell the Government that this would be unacceptable? Or are you willing to leave it up to them? You seem to be saying that signing up to the WA is not what you want but how can millions like us stop them?

On the border issue, I've pointed out before that there are solutions, I've even posted links to some of them, they have been explained by numerous bodies and individuals, but the EU does not want a solution, so one cannot be agreed. Once we have left it will surprise you how soon a workable solution is in place. But can you explain something to me, because you obviously spend far more time considering the Irish border problem than I do, both sides agree that a trade deal solves the problem, how will the border work then ?
    Well, can you ask Boris and his mates to clearly spell out how the border will work from October?
    Regarding the "both sides agree that a trade deal solves the problem" Well, I suppose it depends on what exactly the trade deal contains. To have frictionless trade and an open border I can't see any way it can be done without having some kind of customs union (as we currently have). Perhaps Boris will be kind enough to explain his idea?

I still fail to understand your concerns about a trade deal with the USA. We already trade with the USA, I haven't checked but I'm assuming it is one of our biggest trading partners, and not being an expert by any means, I'm also assuming we trade with them on WTO terms. Any bespoke trade deal we agree with them will have to be better than the current WTO terms or we won't be signing up to it. So if it's going to be better than the existing arrangements, as it must be, then what is it you are so afraid of ?

Some info here Sinkov https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/
    The fact is that reduced trade with the EU, and trading on less favorable terms with the EU, means that we need to make it up with trading deals with other countries.
    As you say, the USA is very important to us at the moment - in fact it is our biggest trading country. But to ramp up the trade, agree trading standards, tariffs etc with Mr Trump may well entail him demanding a say on our dealings with other countries. We have recently been fostering relations with China for instance and if he insists that we don't deal with Huawei then that would sour these relations. Doing a deal with the USA also means accepting their trading standards - some of which are unacceptable to the EU, which further complicates matters.
    Without doubt, the USA holds all the aces in any trade negotiations with us - but we may be forced to accept their demands otherwise we really would be in a difficult position once we leave the EU.
    And no, I don't know any more than you do about this stuff - we have just reached different conclusions.

You want an explanation of how the border will work after we leave 59 ? I can't give you an answer, I am no expert on how any borders work, I have no idea even on how it works now, and more to the point, it's not my problem. The backstop is only in operation until we agree a trade deal, so both sides agree therein lies a solution, you can either believe them or not, up to you. I really wouldn't know and am beyond caring.

The EU has encapsulated Article 50 in it's Treaty of Rome, this gives us the legal right to leave the EU, either with a withdrawal agreement or without one, thus we are leaving the EU in one of two ways, both of them perfectly acceptable to the EU, they are their terms and we will be leaving fully in accordance with them.
    Our government offered us a choice, our parliament passed the legislation for the EU referendum, thus confirming that they agreed with us having that choice. We voted to leave, our parliament then passed the laws necessary for us to enact the decision to leave, both major parties stated in their last manifestos that they would honour the result of the referendum. So we are where we are now because of decisions taken by politicians, bureaucrats and civil servants in both Brussels and London, and with the full agreement and confirmation of both the EU and our parliament, everything has been done by the book. If this presents an apparently insurmountable problem on the Irish border, then it's their doing, not mine, it's their problem, not mine, it's up to them to find a solution, not me. There are thousands of them 59, employed at my and your expense in London and Brussels, paid to solve these problems, they have given us a legal means to leave the EU, and we are taking it, when we do leave on October 31st as we are legally entitled to do, obliged to even, under The EU's Treaty of Rome Article 50, I have every confidence that these massively expensive bureaucracies on both sides of the channel, will rise to the challenge and suddenly find an answer to this confected problem, it's what we pay them for after all isn't it, but it's not my problem either way, and I won't be losing any sleep over it.
    Last edited by sinkov; 18-06-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Everything you say there is perfectly true Sinkov. And I honestly understand your position.

But...if the vote in 2016 had been "Do you want to leave the EU under the terms of the WA and PD as agreed between the UK and the EU or remain" then how would you have voted?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Everything you say there is perfectly true Sinkov. And I honestly understand your position.

But...if the vote in 2016 had been "Do you want to leave the EU under the terms of the WA and PD as agreed between the UK and the EU or remain" then how would you have voted?
    It's an impossible question to answer 59, because in 2016 there was no way of knowing what that agreement would be, and it didn't matter anyway, everyone knew and accepted that A 50 specified that we leave either with an agreement or without one. There was no secret about it, A50 was quite clear and specific, if our parliamentarians didn't want to leave without an agreement they shouldn't have voted to accept it, but they did, so I have no sympathy for them whining about it now.

If you want to be more realistic my answer to your question right as of today, would be that I would prefer staying in the EU to this WA, but that's the whole point of it really, it's been designed to persuade us to remain. Our parliament blocks leaving without a WA, the WA is worse than remaining and will also be blocked by parliament, so what's left ? Revoke A50, that's what, very clever, it was close to working, it might even work yet, but Sir Nigel has seen through it, kick started the Tories into taking Brexit seriously, and it's a whole new ball game. We're still playing extra time though, the result is still in doubt, the game's not over yet. And 17.4 million people look on incredulously.

My money is on leaving in October with Theresa's Withdrawal Agreement. I don't think Parliament will allow no deal.

And we will pay the price for years to come.

I still don't see how parliament can over-ride an EU treaty 59, it's not in their gift. If the WA doesn't pass then the default is we leave without one. It is possible that parliament could force us to ask for a further extension, but then it would be up to the EU, it wouldn't be our decision.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, could you expain to me just how our parliament can take leaving without a WA off the table ? They could of course revoke our application to leave, but they wouldn't dare do that, and I doubt they have the numbers for it anyway. So how do they do it ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 18-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.

I just think that if it came down to the wire, this time for real, then Parliament would make the decision to accept the deal.

But who knows? Perhaps we will leave with no deal by default as you explain.

The trouble is that our politicians have proved that they are useless in negotiations, do you expect them to negotiate good trade deals for us with other major players?

We can only hope for the best.

We don't know how good the Brexiteers are at negotiating 59, Mrs May soon sidelined the lot of them, I can't imagine they would be any worse than the Remainers who have dumped us into this mess. But maybe I'm being unfair, it's possible our Remain negotiators and the EU have deliberately engineered this farce, so that staying in seems the sensible option, in which case I congratulate them on a job well done.

I don't worry about trade deals, we already trade with most of the world on WTO terms and that will continue after we leave. For me this is no longer about trade or the economy it's about something far more important, the survival of democracy in this green and pleasant land. I'm still waiting to hear from Remainers what they expect to replace it, if they do manage to overturn the result of the referendum. They're about as vague on that as Boris is on getting us out of the EU.

It's simple really Sinkov.

Once the deal has been agreed it goes back to the voters for confirmation that it is what they want. If the majority of people want it then it happens. If the majority of people don't want it then it doesn't.
    It's a totally different question and at the end of the day it is the people who will decide.

I agree that revoking article 50 would be undemocratic though. And leaving with no deal has little support (which may surprise a lot of people on here!)
    But to be fair, I think that "no deal" should be on the ballot too. Then it really is the peoples choice.

If we leave with Theresa's deal then not many people will have got what they voted for.

" If the majority of people want it then it happens."

Sounds fair enough to me, let's go then 59, on that basis there's no need for any more referendums, confirmatory votes or whatever. We leave the EU, and we leave according to Article 50. So if we can't ratify the WA, we leave without one. It really is that simple.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)