+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A good win

A good win

3 precious points ground out against a niggly Wycombe team. From where I was sitting it was a definite penalty I felt it was fitting that a team that had pushed, held, grappled and gone down at the slightest touch should lose in such a way.
    Did anyone else notice Kenny Lunt signalling to G Cooper seconds before he was subbed, telling him to run to the opposite touchline for a longer walk back to the bench? Very un Crewe like.

If there was one down side to last night's great entertainment it was the way we handled Wycombe's, from the first whistle, tactics. They wanted to punt the ball up as much as they could. In the air, we tend to head upwards and almost anywhere; on the ground, we can outplay most sides who've ventured into Gresty Road.
    Some big pluses: 1. Our ability to retain possession after a throw-in; 2. Seeing Dagnall causing mayhem in the box; 3. Watching Cook and Cooper interacting and leaving defenders spinning like tops. There are many others.

A very good result last night but the big worry for me was the injury to Danny Hollands. Until he went off we controlled the midfield and were playing the ball on the floor and causing them all sorts of problems. As soon as he went off the young midfield had no idea of how to cope with Wycombe tactics and went constantly played the ball in the air to any space on the pitch.In the second half we rarely got into there penalty area .Dagnall was clearly the MOTM for me . I thought that when we ran directly at them they had little to offer but playing the ball in the air gave them possession and a chance to hurt us in more than one way. 6 points is 6 points but we need a few more results like this but the midfield concerns me as I feel we will have lost Hollands for a few weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    A very good result last night but the big worry for me was the injury to Danny Hollands. Until he went off we controlled the midfield and were playing the ball on the floor and causing them all sorts of problems. As soon as he went off the young midfield had no idea of how to cope with Wycombe tactics and went constantly played the ball in the air to any space on the pitch.In the second half we rarely got into there penalty area .Dagnall was clearly the MOTM for me . I thought that when we ran directly at them they had little to offer but playing the ball in the air gave them possession and a chance to hurt us in more than one way. 6 points is 6 points but we need a few more results like this but the midfield concerns me as I feel we will have lost Hollands for a few weeks .
    Hopefully Hollands injury is not was bad but we also have Bingham who could be in contention and would do a job similar to Danny.

It was a proper dig in and fight performance last night. Wycombes brand of football was just dire. Hoof it up to AA and let him head it on. I thought we coped well for 60+ mins but you could see a few legs tiring after then. We ran at them, competed in the air but we couldn't keep the ball on the deck long enough to play how we like. Like the previous comments there was a big difference when Hollands went off. The stability in the centre of the pitch was lost. Hopefully he wont be out for too long as we need his experience.
    I liked how the ref kept the play going when some of there players were rolling around on the floor after being tickled by some of our defenders. Made then look like silly at times.
    A classy performance on Saturday and a real battle last night.Roll on Saturday.

Hit Them Hard 1st 15min

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfMainStand View Post
    It was a proper dig in and fight performance last night. Wycombes brand of football was just dire. Hoof it up to AA and let him head it on. I thought we coped well for 60+ mins but you could see a few legs tiring after then. We ran at them, competed in the air but we couldn't keep the ball on the deck long enough to play how we like. Like the previous comments there was a big difference when Hollands went off. The stability in the centre of the pitch was lost. Hopefully he wont be out for too long as we need his experience.
    I liked how the ref kept the play going when some of there players were rolling around on the floor after being tickled by some of our defenders. Made then look like silly at times.
    A classy performance on Saturday and a real battle last night.Roll on Saturday.
    Many teams hit C.A.Hard it the first 15 min as they know some players will not come back for more,old Pros dont like kids giving them the run around.

Six points after the last 2 games and still 6 points off bottom 2,so it was badly needed.

Last night only 2 teams from the bottom 6 lost,they are all picking up points now,so although the Crewe Wheel is fixed on again it will not take to much to bring it off,but at least they are competing more as normally Crewe would have lost that game in the past.

We would have lost last night's match had it been played a month ago. Seldom do well against sides like that who, as MoMS said, pushed, pulled, shoved and then fell over when someone nearby breathed heavily. Despite the young lads having little or no experience of playing against that brand of 'football', especially Wintle, I thought they never gave up, were up for the battle and it was as satisfying, in many ways, as the 5-0 on Saturday.

Dagnall was again outstanding, and I was impressed (again) by Gorgeous George at the heart of the defence - up for the fight but still showed ability with the ball at his feet.

Winning matches in 2 totally different ways must have delighted the manager and given the whole squad a boost for the rest of the season. A word for Artell, too - great to see him animated in the last 2 matches, generally applauding the team's efforts at both ends of the pitch; what a contrast to his predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    3 precious points ground out against a niggly Wycombe team. From where I was sitting it was a definite penalty I felt it was fitting that a team that had pushed, held, grappled and gone down at the slightest touch should lose in such a way.
    Did anyone else notice Kenny Lunt signalling to G Cooper seconds before he was subbed, telling him to run to the opposite touchline for a longer walk back to the bench? Very un Crewe like.
    Notice Artell waved the centre halves forward to help celebrate the peno? Another 90 seconds wasted there, very pro Dave - like it.