+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birmingham City Post Match Thoughts

Birmingham City Post Match Thoughts

From reports on the first half you would have thought St Andrews was on Elm Street. Nightmare! A better showing in the 2nd half but don't you just know when we come across these games when expectations of a win are brimming over that in typical RUFC fashion we're in for disappointment. Yes,we have a few key players missing but this is the pack we have now until May so MT needs to learn how to shuffle it accordingly to get the best hand.

Thoughts?

If the level of desire shown in the 2nd half had been applied in the 1st half we msy have got some kind of result. Bad day at the office. On to Tuesday. UTM

Cardiff had their goalkeeper sent off in injury time at Preston.

No surprise at all. The defeat and the abysmal performance were nailed on after the complacency that has been evident at the club following a handful of decent results.

Just when we seem to be going in the right direction , we lose focus and discipline.

Huge-bill was dreadful again today and appears to think its job done after one half decent performance.

Very poor.

Disappointing but that's another game chalked off in the survival race.

Status quo maintained but less games for our chasers to catch us

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Disappointing but that's another game chalked off in the survival race.

Status quo maintained but less games for our chasers to catch us
    Not like you to have a half full glass Grist

First half was as bad as we have played in a long time, but that was covered in the matchthread. 2nd half was better but please don't say that managers always know better than those watching because what was MT doing with those second changes. We were totally on top had them pinned back with Fosu creating so much and what does he do takes the deep sitting midfielder off and drop Fosu back arrggghh, I nearly broke my telly when I threw my remote at it, not hindsight just common sense. I understand Brammal and Blackett they were like for like and Blackett look the business, but Coventry breaks up play and plays simple passes to the more attacking players, so crucial. kelly was not required at that time and to be honest contributed nothing, he isn't intelligent enough, gives too many silly fouls away. This also meant Ogbene went deeper and his threat was gone. Straight after that they started to dominate midfield and had good chances, we only made the keeper make one save in the 2nd half, Viktor made 3 outstanding saves. so for all the effort and the good start to the 2nd half, poor management decision cost us any chance. Only saving grace is bottom 3 lost and another game as gone, QPR were always going to have enough to stay up same with Birmingham, we could scrape a 19th finish if we are lucky but I would take 4th from bottom and 4 points clear going into the last weekend now.
    I heard that Grabbon is still a free agent, we should try again to sign him, he will score a few and it stops him going anywhere else, as for squad place sack eaves for gross misconduct impersonating a footballer or send the Watford lad back because chances of him playing are zero, I am not serious just being silly to cheer myself up. two huge games coming up now, take 6 points and we know the bottom 3 have to gain a point a game on us, just to draw level.
    Last edited by Derbymiller; 11-03-2023 at 05:24 PM.

It wasn’t very good

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    First half was as bad as we have played in a long time, but that was covered in the matchthread. 2nd half was better but please don't say that managers always know better than those watching because what was MT doing with those second changes. We were totally on top had them pinned back with Fosu creating so much and what does he do takes the deep sitting midfielder off and drop Fosu back arrggghh, I nearly broke my telly when I threw my remote at it, not hindsight just common sense. I understand Brammal and Blackett they were like for like and Blackett look the business, but Coventry breaks up play and plays simple passes to the more attacking players, so crucial. kelly was not required at that time and to be honest contributed nothing, he isn't intelligent enough, gives too many silly fouls away. This also meant Ogbene went deeper and his threat was gone. Straight after that they started to dominate midfield and had good chances, we only made the keeper make one save in the 2nd half, Viktor made 3 outstanding saves. so for all the effort and the good start to the 2nd half, poor management decision cost us any chance. Only saving grace is bottom 3 lost and another game as gone, QPR were always going to have enough to stay up same with Birmingham, we could scrape a 19th finish if we are lucky but I would take 4th from bottom and 4 points clear going into the last weekend now.
    I heard that Grabbon is still a free agent, we should try again to sign him, he will score a few and it stops him going anywhere else, as for squad place sack eaves for gross misconduct impersonating a footballer or send the Watford lad back because chances of him playing are zero, I am not serious just being silly to cheer myself up. two huge games coming up now, take 6 points and we know the bottom 3 have to gain a point a game on us, just to draw level.
    Good post mate👍

Well that was crap. Ultimately ineffective in everything we did / tried. Across the board a duff of a game from our perspective.

Wes left 2 on 1 for the first, rock and a hard place but let him in a bit too easily. Quality finish.

Not a corner for the second, clearly not a corner. Controlled and finished well by a centre half.

Doesn't excuse everything else in the first. Poor. Languid and lacking any kind of intensity. Peltier rash in everything he did, Coventry hoofing it anywhere, Odoffin about 5 yards off the pace, let alone 1 or 2, Fergie may as well have not been on the pitch, Fosu shows tiny bits and then held the ball for far too long the rest of the time, Hugill had poor service but lost pretty much all the battles he had anyway, Chieo ineffective. They marked and doubled up on him well to be fair.

It was like they had 2 extra players in the first. Overwhelmed us with intensity and desire, topped off with moments of quality. The intensity and desire part hurts, we should never lose that battle. Started to believe our own hype perhaps? Hopefully not. Lesson learnt if so. We can't drop a level, we aren't good enough.

Second half we huffed and puffed for 15, corner after corner, no success. Washington had an impact, fair play to him for that. Lindsay sadly not, ineffective. We bring on Kelly, Bramall and Blackett. I think Georgie won a couple of headers out of about 10 duels. Ineffective. Bramall dribbled the ball out once, can't remember anything else, ineffective. Once again, when we go with 3 strikers we look less likely, the supply routes ceased to exist, as did our threat.

Our general quality of balls into the box today were atrocious. Ogbene, Hjelde, Bramall, Wes, all dire. Corners okay or crap, nothing really dangerous. Coventry's are looped in, even if we were to win a header we are unlikely to score. No pace on the balls, would have to generate some power to do anything. We didn't win many to find out how much power anyway.

A good / bad reminder today of where we are still and that we can't drop percentage points and get away with it.

Oh and please come back soon Ollie, please.

One of those days, onto Preston at NYS. UTM!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast