+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your World Cup Memories

Your World Cup Memories

Mario Kempes at the 78 world cup , socks rolled down and scoring some seriously good goals to win Argentina their first world cup , as a 16 year old kid I thought Mario Kempes was fecking brilliant in that tournament .

Roberto Baggio at the 94 world cup who seemingly took Italy to the final against Brazil on his own , shame about the penalty in the shoot out mind .

Not a popular view but Maradona did single handily win a world cup in 1986 , yep the hand of god was a travesty but the second goal and the two in the semi against Belgium were off the scale , genius .

David Platt in the last minute against Belgium at Italia 90 , what a moment .

Maradonna was something else, just on a different level for me. The Bulgarian team in USA'94 beating holders Germany in the quarter finals was up there.

My outstanding memories and moments from an English perspective was linekars equalizer in 1990 semi, Platt winner v Belgium in same tournament but Michael Owens solo effort against Argentina in france 98 was a jaw dropping moment of sheer brilliance and was absolutely electrifying.

Maradonna's brilliant solo goal against us in '86 was Terry Butcher's own goal actually, but he doesn't want to admit that does he lol.
    That '86 tournament in Mexico was and probably still is my favourite all time WCup, there were some brilliant games and brilliant goals, and also the usual controversial WC talking points.

Btw, for those of us who are still interested in England's fortunes, what do we expect from John Stones in this tournament.
    Last edited by Acido; 02-06-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Cameroon beating the Argies in the opening game in 1990 with 9 men! What a tournament Cameroon went on to have. Roger Millas jig at the corner flag! Unforgettable A tell thi they were the better team against England in the quarters n all. Only their naivety cost them that neet and we proper dodged a bullet theer.

A remember pyssing missen laughing when Costa Rica beat the jocks in 1990

A 20 year old animal was at the 82 world cup in spain , make that Bilbao for one game which was the opener against France .

The plan was to do the entire tournament , we had a couple of tents , a car and a few hundred quid between us .

Hmmm , we arrived in Bilbao far too early and subsequently drunk ourselves stupid for 3 or 4 days and just about had enough for a match ticket and the petrol home prior to the game .

We bought our match tickets in Bilbao city centre at a news kiosk , I kid you not .

We ended up sat with a load of French in a side stand and saw Bryan Robson and Paul Marriner score to give us a 3-1 win .

We got so drunk that night it was off the scale and only just made it back home , we didn't eat for nearly two days because we didn't have a round coin between us .

Absolutely brilliant memories .

To Animal & Pass, we all made a post or an edit then at the same time of 10:34. Cross your fingers and make a wish eh (for us winning the World cup or for us winning promotion next season lol)

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    A 20 year old animal was at the 82 world cup in spain , make that Bilbao for one game which was the opener against France .

The plan was to do the entire tournament , we had a couple of tents , a car and a few hundred quid between us .

Hmmm , we arrived in Bilbao far too early and subsequently drunk ourselves stupid for 3 or 4 days and just about had enough for a match ticket and the petrol home prior to the game .

We bought our match tickets in Bilbao city centre at a news kiosk , I kid you not .

We ended up sat with a load of French in a side stand and saw Bryan Robson and Paul Marriner score to give us a 3-1 win .

We got so drunk that night it was off the scale and only just made it back home , we didn't eat for nearly two days because we didn't have a round coin between us .

Absolutely brilliant memories .
    brilliant that Animal. Classic youthful exuberance. Set off with good intentions but the road to hell was paved with good intentions weren't it

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Maradonna was something else, just on a different level for me. The Bulgarian team in USA'94 beating holders Germany in the quarter finals was up there.

My outstanding memories and moments from an English perspective was linekars equalizer in 1990 semi, Platt winner v Belgium in same tournament but Michael Owens solo effort against Argentina in france 98 was a jaw dropping moment of sheer brilliance and was absolutely electrifying.
    Owen's goal against Argentina was one of those moments when you couldn't quite believe what you'd seen , absolute quality .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    To Animal & Pass, we all made a post or an edit then at the same time of 10:34. Cross your fingers and make a wish eh (for us winning the World cup or for us winning promotion next season lol)
    Lol neither will happen ennyrooard even if thy are superstitious

After my enjoyment of Mexico '86, I just didn't enjoy Italia '90 as much as I wanted to, and bearing in mind how well we did, I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have done.

However, one thing that matters to me more than any other England memory happened that year on Tuesday, 26th June, 1990, when we beat Belgium thanks to Platt's volley right at the end of ET. Why was that even more memorable for me eh ?, well it WAS my 19th birthday.
    (and we're playing the Belgies again this time, on the 28th, almost 28 years to the very same day!!)
    Last edited by Acido; 02-06-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast