+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nolan or Hardy to blame?

Nolan or Hardy to blame?

Everyone knew we needed to improve the defence before the window opened and yet we spend a small fortune on populist players and completely ignore the defence. The question is who was in charge of this? Is it Hardy on his PR campaign again and insisting on signing crowd pleasers over what was needed or was it Nolan who got it wrong? The defence is actually worse than last year as the keeper is garbage compared to Collins.

The defence was good enough last season, look at our goal difference, the only difference we've made to it is the goalkeeper, turns out perhaps Adam Collin wasn't as awful as some foolish Notts fans thought...

Don't see how you can blame the chairman, he's put his hand in his pockets to fork out for new signings that we haven't seen the likes of since the Munto season. Nolan made the decision to stick with the same defence and they're not performing at the same level they were last season.

Personally I think Duffy has to go. Yeah, people say he's a scapegoat, but he is the one that sets the tone and that tone is "It's never my fault". He spends the game blaming everyone but himself for mistakes and arguing with anyone who will listen to him, including Kevin Nolan. Tonight I saw Dan Jones arguing back with Nolan and Hemmings and Thomas arguing with eachother, this kind of infighting is inexcusable imo, as someone that played for Allardyce I'm surprised Nolan allows it, if someone had argued back at him on the pitch they'd have been subbed off and sent down the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    The defence was good enough last season, look at our goal difference, the only difference we've made to it is the goalkeeper, turns out perhaps Adam Collin wasn't as awful as some foolish Notts fans thought...

Don't see how you can blame the chairman, he's put his hand in his pockets to fork out for new signings that we haven't seen the likes of since the Munto season. Nolan made the decision to stick with the same defence and they're not performing at the same level they were last season.

Personally I think Duffy has to go. Yeah, people say he's a scapegoat, but he is the one that sets the tone and that tone is "It's never my fault". He spends the game blaming everyone but himself for mistakes and arguing with anyone who will listen to him, including Kevin Nolan. Tonight I saw Dan Jones arguing back with Nolan and Hemmings and Thomas arguing with eachother, this kind of infighting is inexcusable imo, as someone that played for Allardyce I'm surprised Nolan allows it, if someone had argued back at him on the pitch they'd have been subbed off and sent down the tunnel.
    No, the defence wasn't good enough last season, this is the problem with statistics. We were always weak when it was left to the defence. We defended as a team, an entire unit, you can't do that with this team, creative attacking players don't really have that string to their bow. In that case, we need some properly good defenders in.

I know Brisley is going through the mill at the moment, but he was being forced out of position because Dan Jones is not a left back. He was having to cover the gaps left by Jones and that weakened us. Hewitt just doesn't tackle so basically let their left winger do what he wanted until Enzio was playing a weird right wing back role and then we lose his attacking threat. We need a decent left back, a goalkeeper and hope that tootle is back soon or that Oxlade-Chamberlain is and is decent

But my point is do we know that this is what Nolan wanted or is it just what Hardy wanted and Nolan has the job of trying to make it work? My biggest issues with Hardy has been his ego, he's the one boasting about the new signings and he's the one talking about the style of play. Is Hardy making football decisions? If so we are in trouble yet again. The defence needed improvement from last year and it has actually gotten much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by roweyp View Post
    But my point is do we know that this is what Nolan wanted or is it just what Hardy wanted and Nolan has the job of trying to make it work? My biggest issues with Hardy has been his ego, he's the one boasting about the new signings and he's the one talking about the style of play. Is Hardy making football decisions? If so we are in trouble yet again. The defence needed improvement from last year and it has actually gotten much worse.
    From what everyone has said, Nolan gave Hardy a list and Hardy got them. Seems to me, it's Nolan's fault. Maybe big Sam needs a word to remind him that you can only play fancy football once you have a strong spine, and boy do we not have that

I just find it astounding that a football person would completely neglect defending for big name, populist signings. It's the type of thing a 8 year old would do on football manager or fifa. That's why I wonder if the owner has more of a say than we think.

For those asking for a Vaughan and Husin midfield... tonight has proven IT WONT work. EVER.
    It is obvious to anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge that we need a grafter, someone with physicality, someone who can do the ‘horrible side of the game’. If we make just one more signing this has to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    For those asking for a Vaughan and Husin midfield... tonight has proven IT WONT work. EVER.
    It is obvious to anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge that we need a grafter, someone with physicality, someone who can do the ‘horrible side of the game’. If we make just one more signing this has to be it.
    I agree and I've just said similar on another thread. Without Ryan Yates we can't continue with the 4-4-2 tactics because we haven't got two midfielders robust enough to do the job and it's leaving the defence horribly exposed. We need to go to three in central midfield, two of whom must be primarily defensive. Vaughan played in front of the back four for Forest, sparing his legs, breaking up moves and spraying passes around as he can do, while Hewitt showed last season he can do the 'dirty' midfield role well, so they would be two of the prime candidates to sit, with the likes of Husin or Patching or Crawford given the more creative licence.

Can't blame Hardy. He's paid out for Nolan's signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Can't blame Hardy. He's paid out for Nolan's signings.
    Or did he just pay for the signings he wanted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast