+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ken Loach - The Old Oak

Ken Loach - The Old Oak

Watched this tonight. Typical Ken Loach.

Perfectly captures the best and the worst of us.

He just has the knack of showing it like it is.

Them and us.

Those who are constantly prepared to be shat upon and those who start to fight back.

Thank you Ken.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...from-ken-loach

I noted that in the link it gets 3/5 which is no suprise to me,I sometimes wonder who gives these scores out as I’ve watched absolute sh1t that’s got a five stars and then watched a 2 star movie that I’ve loved

I’m afraid that I’m one of life’s people who get shat upon but just move on not wanting confrontation,where did you watch it btw?

Quote Originally Posted by chaincey.ncfc View Post
    I noted that in the link it gets 3/5 which is no suprise to me,I sometimes wonder who gives these scores out as I’ve watched absolute sh1t that’s got a five stars and then watched a 2 star movie that I’ve loved

I’m afraid that I’m one of life’s people who get shat upon but just move on not wanting confrontation,where did you watch it btw?
    I think it was on Netflix Chalky.

Thanks howoldboy

Watched it this afternoon and quite enjoyed it if enjoyed it are the right words as it’s not the most cheerful of films that I’ve seen but then again it’s not supposed to be

The racism was hit squarely on the head,Syrians getting beat up and called P*kis by kids who know no better,die hard drinkers in pubs blaming everyone else but themselves for having no money and anyone who starts a sentence with “I’m not a racist but…” usually is,I wasn’t happy with the ending though,it was all a bit fairytalish here with the whole village coming to the Syrian family’s door with flowers when they heard about the death of the father,this would t happen in real life

3/5 seems fair all things considered
    Last edited by chaincey.ncfc; 11-05-2024 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks howoldboy

Watched it this afternoon and quite enjoyed it if enjoyed it are the right words as it’s not the most cheerful of films that I’ve seen but then again it’s not supposed to be

The racism was hit squarely on the head,Syrians getting beat up and called P*kis by kids who know no better,die hard drinkers in pubs blaming everyone else but themselves for having no money and anyone who starts a sentence with “I’m not a racist but…” usually is,I wasn’t happy with the ending though,it was all a bit fairytalish here with the whole village coming to the Syrian family’s door with flowers when they heard about the death of the father,this would t happen in real life

3/5 seems fair all things considered
    Agree with all of that Chalky. Good review.

I would have upped the score to 4/5 though, bearing in mind that there were no professional actors in the cast.

Pleased you enjoyed it.

I’ve just looked at the actors that’s credited in The Old Oak and you are absolutely right and there are no professional actors involved in the film,bearing this in mind the film has definitely gone up a notch and 4/5 is a fair rating,if they could have fine tuned the ending it would have been a great kitchen sink film,an enjoyable watch in which the actors did a great job

I’ve just looked at the actors that’s credited in The Old Oak and you are absolutely right and there are no professional actors involved in the film,bearing this in mind the film has definitely gone up a notch and 4/5 is a fair rating,if they could have fine tuned the ending it would have been a great kitchen sink film,an enjoyable watch in which the actors did a great job

I watched an old movie called The Swimmer last night that starred Burt Lancaster,have you seen it howoldboy? If you have what do make of the ending?

I watched an old movie called The Swimmer last night that starred Burt Lancaster,have you seen it howoldboy? If you have what do make of the ending?
    I vaguely remember watching it many years ago and at the time didn't think much of it.

I should probably watch it again, as increasingly I am finding that things that didn't really mean much to me (or I didn't understand) as a youngster now have a much deeper impact.

Sorry, but I can remember little about the film, let alone the ending, although I found this link that provides a few theories.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/co...mmer_68_to_me/

It’s a strange film in that I almost switched it off half way through and there wasn’t much going on but by the end it had me thinking about it,he starts off happy and confident but by the time that he gets to the final pool his mind has deteriorated,although it’s not a great film it does rate 100% on Rotten Tomato’s,I think that it was a flop at the time but became a cult classic
    It’s back on Film4 tomorrow at 1.50pm so I might give it another go knowing what I now know

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)