+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- tonight’s games

The table is so tight that it's impossible to predict what the rest of the season will look like. We could still be in for a playoff push, but we could equally end up languishing in the bottom half. I guess we'll find out over the coming month or so.

I think all clubs have had a surprising result be it a good one or a bad one. Both Harrogate and Gillingham are on minus goal difference yet sit 8th and 9th no more than a point of the play offs. Good news for us as neither can score goals so not likely to change much.

I don't think I've seen a league so tight at this stage of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    The table is so tight that it's impossible to predict what the rest of the season will look like. We could still be in for a playoff push, but we could equally end up languishing in the bottom half. I guess we'll find out over the coming month or so.
    It's very unlikely, but a good run could see us back in contention for automatic, as I think all the teams in this league have the capacity to put a poor run together as well as a good one... and all of Stockport, Mansfailed and Wrexham have in the past few seasons dropped out of promising positions late on in the season. It's not over until the fat lady sings, albeit she may be starting to warm up in the wings at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    It's very unlikely, but a good run could see us back in contention for automatic, as I think all the teams in this league have the capacity to put a poor run together as well as a good one... and all of Stockport, Mansfailed and Wrexham have in the past few seasons dropped out of promising positions late on in the season. It's not over until the fat lady sings, albeit she may be starting to warm up in the wings at the moment.
    I wish I shared your optimism, but I think automatic is virtually impossible now. The top three are pretty much sewn up as far as I can see. Stockport have injury problems but enough quality to get over the line, Mansfield look pretty unstoppable, and Wrexham have that machine-like quality they had last season where they get results no matter what. Nobody's going to catch them.

The good thing is next season will be much easier with those three gone.

Not sure MK are too strong. They tried to knock it around like you do but we high pressed and they were easily found wanting with many mistakes. We gave you far more respect on Saturday and rightly so. MK are nothing special believe me. What a soulless stadium and fanbase they have as well. The one club I hope burn and die.

We should've won last night and would have if Boyle hadn't have got himself sent off.

Lewington should have been sent off for a blatant stamp on Cannon's stomach which everyone could clearly see so that apparent bias we get didn't work there.
    Its just nonsense this talk of a conspiracy and the like, I'm cringing for anyone who brings that guff up. Mullin and Palmer get beaten up most games and they get nothing. The publicity hinders us in this respect and does not help in anyway. Refs come the our ground and go too far in making it clear they have no bias towards us. i don't know why they would anyway. I think its just that League two officials are horrendous in the main.

Replays show they should have been awarded that goal but in real time its not as obvious although in saying that I'd be livid if that was against us.
    The Ref was waaay out of his depth and it showed all game. We should've had a penalty too.

Onto Gillingham, we get a result there and we've had a good couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I wish I shared your optimism, but I think automatic is virtually impossible now. The top three are pretty much sewn up as far as I can see. Stockport have injury problems but enough quality to get over the line, Mansfield look pretty unstoppable, and Wrexham have that machine-like quality they had last season where they get results no matter what. Nobody's going to catch them.

The good thing is next season will be much easier with those three gone.
    We can only influence what we can control - as fans it is just how we react to situations. I find I am happier if I am optimistic and positive about things. That said, I agree it's very unlikely that we will catch the top 3 or 4, but there's no point in writing it off as an option until it's really not possible.

I would think that Crewe will be confident of knocking one of the top 3 out, and probably MKD will be optimistic too. Who knows what may happen if any of them begin to falter and SM needs to get the team in a place to take advantage should that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    We can only influence what we can control - as fans it is just how we react to situations. I find I am happier if I am optimistic and positive about things. That said, I agree it's very unlikely that we will catch the top 3 or 4, but there's no point in writing it off as an option until it's really not possible.

I would think that Crewe will be confident of knocking one of the top 3 out, and probably MKD will be optimistic too. Who knows what may happen if any of them begin to falter and SM needs to get the team in a place to take advantage should that happen.
    We are a 25/1 chance to make the top 3, but a more encouraging 6/5 (45.5% probability) to make the playoffs:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football...e-the-playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    That’s because IMO we’re not behind them at all in terms of quality of player, but we are well behind them in the mentality and intensity needed to grind out wins in close games over the course of a season.

Look at how few draws we’ve had this season and our goal difference compared to the teams around us - with the odd exception, our games have tended to go one way, we either get on top, can play our football and win easily, or we lose a narrow game by a goal or two.
    Some good points. Perhaps by the end of the season we will be more battle hardened to league two which will enable us to be stronger for any playoff campaign or for next season.

You've hit the nail on the head about the draws. In terms of wins we've only won two less games than Mansfield but look at the draws. They have become a tough side to beat and have been able to pick up points in games and that's what sees them in 2nd and us in 10th. It's similar with the likes of Crewe and Barrow which is why they are above us.

If we can be a bit more streetwise, battle hardened or whatever we want to call it that's needed to be strong enough to snatch a draw from defeat, or a win from a draw then that is the key to being an automatic promotion contender. If Stuart Maynard can install this into the team then he will have cracked it the way I see it.

The other alternative is we do like in the National League and over time build a team far superior quality for league two level which may enable us to get those additional results needed.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 21-02-2024 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    We are a 25/1 chance to make the top 3, but a more encouraging 6/5 (45.5% probability) to make the playoffs:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football...e-the-playoffs
    That feels about right, but 25/1 chance is better than 100/1 (I think - I don't understand betting odds)! I am by no means saying I think we will do it, but that it is a bit premature to give up on it. Shoot for the stars etc!

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    Not sure MK are too strong. They tried to knock it around like you do but we high pressed and they were easily found wanting with many mistakes. We gave you far more respect on Saturday and rightly so. MK are nothing special believe me. What a soulless stadium and fanbase they have as well. The one club I hope burn and die.

We should've won last night and would have if Boyle hadn't have got himself sent off.

Lewington should have been sent off for a blatant stamp on Cannon's stomach which everyone could clearly see so that apparent bias we get didn't work there.
    Its just nonsense this talk of a conspiracy and the like, I'm cringing for anyone who brings that guff up. Mullin and Palmer get beaten up most games and they get nothing. The publicity hinders us in this respect and does not help in anyway. Refs come the our ground and go too far in making it clear they have no bias towards us. i don't know why they would anyway. I think its just that League two officials are horrendous in the main.

Replays show they should have been awarded that goal but in real time its not as obvious although in saying that I'd be livid if that was against us.
    The Ref was waaay out of his depth and it showed all game. We should've had a penalty too.

Onto Gillingham, we get a result there and we've had a good couple of weeks.
    I thought both teams were extremely poor especially first half. Mk dons knocked it about with not a lot of creativity and Wrexham looked a shadow of themselves without Fletcher, Elliot lee, Barnett and mullin starting
    It looked very pedestrian and a genuine lack of intensity from both teams.
    Didn't look like an intentional stamp but he did catch him. You are really riding your luck with officiating at the moment. Something we just have not had this season and has cost us points. It was clearly over the line.
    Wrexham looked better when the changes were made but still were disappointing.
    A lot of teams improving in mid table now so i don't think anyone is guaranteed a play off place just yet

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast