+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hughesy still has the magic at 42

I’ve been watching Notts since 69 and the first name I’d put on the team sheet would be McCulloch. Not as prolific as Hughsie or Sir Les but quite simply was exciting every time he got the ball.

Super Mac scored one of my favourite goals at Meadow Lane - a run from the halfway line and screamer into the top corner against Cambridge, May 1981 - our “celebration” game after clinching promotion to the top division the previous Saturday at Chelsea. Converted from a winger into a striker, which may be yet an option for Enzio. Just wish our current bunch had some of Mac’s devilment and will to win.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Super Mac scored one of my favourite goals at Meadow Lane - a run from the halfway line and screamer into the top corner against Cambridge, May 1981 - our “celebration” game after clinching promotion to the top division the previous Saturday at Chelsea. Converted from a winger into a striker, which may be yet an option for Enzio. Just wish our current bunch had some of Mac’s devilment and will to win.
    Yep, spent about the last 10 mins of that game literally about 2ft over the touchline, some pitch invasion that was followed by making a right nuisance of ourselves in Slab Square after. You really do have to feel for our younger fans who may never experience moments like us 'older' guys did!

Seem to remember that also, one of my favourite goal moments was Gordon Mair (away to Ipswich 1981) putting the ball firmly in the net following an 11 pass move from our keeper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMlVJIJtS0

another was seeing Brian Stubbs racing down the right wing to the byline, crossing the ball for (of all people) little Stevie Carter to head home. Great stuff.

How has Devon White not had a mention yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    another was seeing Brian Stubbs racing down the right wing to the byline, crossing the ball for (of all people) little Stevie Carter to head home. Great stuff.
    I still have vivid memories of that one, but I'm sure Stubbsy rampaged down the left wing before crossing for Stevie Carter to nod home in front of a rapturous Lane end.

That, er, "Munto" season was something else. If you haven't already got it, get the DVD fgs - pure class! Wasn't that other "slap-ed" brill too - Luke Rodgers.

<Sighs> What a shame we didn't have DVDs when I first started supporting Notts - early 1970s. Some stories there... Apart from the obvious stars - what about Ian Scanlon, Mick Vinter? I also seem to remember somebody called Randall - but wasn't he a cricketer?

Yes, McCulloch was a striker given licence to roam, and he caused havoc. That role may suit Enzio, not that I would compare their ability for a minute. I would rate McCulloch as the best Notts striker I've seen. Sir Les was a great servant and had a lot to do with us rising from the 4th to the 2nd tier and staying there, but McCulloch played at a higher level. My second choice would be Tommy Johnson, who was unorthodox and not really a traditional CF, but he had a great shot on him and his movement was fantastic. Then have Hughesie, who I loved watching, and he is by far the best since TJ.

Thinking back to Munto, people say it was fake money, but really there was no money at all. We didn't spend a single penny on transfer fees and although some wages were high for the division, it was only really Kasper who earned an unaffordable wage for a top end (of the division) club. Any debts that were accrued (and many of them dated back to JAH's time) were for ridiculous things like the Sven sham, the actual playing staff were wise choices.

I bet Trew and AH have spent far more on far less. Poor old McParland is criticised for having a poor team when the budget was low, but when it was high, he spent it a Hell of a lot better than Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    How has Devon White not had a mention yet?
    Speaking of White, nobody has mentioned Andy either

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I still have vivid memories of that one, but I'm sure Stubbsy rampaged down the left wing before crossing for Stevie Carter to nod home in front of a rapturous Lane end.
    I stand corrected - Yes it was the left wing, I knew that but somehow typed Right wing! (age I suppose)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast