+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Second referendum

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    I'm pretty sure I didn't say that re people not believing in Brexit enough. Labour's associations with Momentum and Antifa have certainly affected Labour's image in a very negative way. The Party is under investigation for institutional racism, only the second political party to face such scrutiny and its leader being awarded the acolade of the most dangerous antisemite by the Wiesenthal Centre I'm sure doesn't help their cause. I'm sure you will be trying to concoct your next piece of whataboutery as you read this, but don't bother, it really is wasted on me. I'll leave you to it.
    I’m really really sure you did say the thing about believing enough.

As I’ve put on here before, (you may have missed it being on your other websites) I’ve personally heard anti-semitism on the left and challenged it myself when no one else did. You see I actually really don’t like racism as opposed to pretending not to like it for political gain. If you think Johnson is in anyway a fit person to be PM fair enough but please, save me the righteousness.

The Brexit war is lost, and it’s up to the people who demanded it to make a success of it like they promised. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    A THIRD of the eligible electorate is more than 'a few thousand votes either way' and of course mass participation makes a difference.

But you're distorting what I wrote. I don't think this missing third is easily 'mobilised', that's the problem. But don't tell me they have no interest or stake in society.

As well as backing proportional representation for decades (the last time I believed in fptp was in my 20s, but I wised up ), I have lived in countries where voting is compulsory. The people are basically uncomplaining and believe the line that it's their patriotic duty. It's generally seen as a non-controversial part of life there. For obvious reasons this would be among the tories' worst nightmares.
    I too have lived where I was obliged to vote though nothing to stop papers being spoilt. This country has postal and proxy votes as well as assistance in getting to Polling stations. And there were plenty of Bliar years to introduce proportional representation, something that would have not disenfranchised me in my last two abodes in the county.

I have little sympathy with any complaints from anyone capable of voting who didn't and if they were too ignorant to vote then maybe I'm pleased that they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    This election pretty much was a second referendum.
    No it wasn't. There were remainers who ended up voting for the Tories this week just to end the three-year farce that was created by Cameron caving to extremists in his party and holding a referendum without giving a second thought to the consequences. People are fed up of the current shambles and want to move on, even if it makes them worse off.

Why people in places like Bolsover and Blyth Valley think they will be better off out of Europe when they have been abandoned by British governments over decades will always baffle me. "Sovereignty" (aka "Bloody immigrants") won't create jobs and Toryboy's EU exit strategy will be the final nail in the coffin for manufacturing in this country.

Still, while I'm disappointed that such a deceitful clown as Boris Johnson is now my prime minister, I would also have been equally appalled if Jeremy Corbyn or Jo Swinson were. Such a pathetic bunch of nonentities to choose from (also now in the clown car with Bozo: Rees-Mogg, Raab, Patel et al).

The only hope Labour has is to cut itself loose of the hateful mob in Momentum and ditch all of the Corbynistas. At this point, it looks like a long way back to power. But who knows, with a decent leader (you know, someone who actually knows how many kids they have) and the huge question mark over what kind of state the country will be in after five years of Toryboy, maybe it's not impossible.

And at least Nottingham didn't fall for all of the Tory BS.

I see there was a clean sweep for Labour in Nottingham. North, South and East on 64%
    I think it's time Nottingham had an independence referendum
    Ah, great news. No end in sight then for the ridiculous process of shovelling fifty pound notes into the John Collins Robin Hood Energy Firepit - a project which is a National laughing stock.

Vote Quimby.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    This election pretty much was a second referendum.
    That's the way I saw it too, and voted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

And me. It's right, the Tories also took seats that voted remain, mainly because most people are democrats and that want to see Brexit done. I think the shenanigans of the last Parl drove everyone crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    And me. It's right, the Tories also took seats that voted remain, mainly because most people are democrats and that want to see Brexit done. I think the shenanigans of the last Parl drove everyone crazy.
    And me. I voted to leave the EU but only after Cammy came back from Sprouts with..........well nothing, I would much to have preferred to stay in but not without change. Watching the news today and seeing ex-mining areas turn blue......unbelieveable.

As always, the media will lead the triumphalism and make no mention of the most important facts.

Pfeffel has absolute power based on 29% support of the electorate.

Lab/Lib dem 43.7 % popular vote, tories 43.6.
    Overall, opposition parties have a majority over Brexit+tories but will be out of power because they're divided.
    Our disproportional electoral system has given us a tory govt on a minority result yet again.
    The electoral system isn't fit for purpose, just like over the ocean Trump lost by a million votes but still won absolute power. Funny that, don't you think?

In less than a year, they'll be one of the most hated govts of all time. All this one nation talk you hear today is hogwash, they've already been bought (not that they need any persuading) and will only rule for the rich and powerful, just like they always have.
    Rearrange this well known saying--- at straws clutching

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I also think the Labour/Momentum National Executive are a bunch of cnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    And me. I voted to leave the EU but only after Cammy came back from Sprouts with..........well nothing, I would much to have preferred to stay in but not without change. Watching the news today and seeing ex-mining areas turn blue......unbelieveable.
    Me also ...And if the Scots want Independence, let them have it and then take away the NHS and other freebies that they currently enjoy.. Mrs Krankie will then not be so popular..

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast