+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Killie Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    When a players was playing Junior or amateur footy till the age of 20, then at Cowdenbeath till he gets a move to Dundee at 24, you have to query how good he actually is, even when he does score a good few goals at the top level.

Shades of Andy Dow for me, one good season in his entire career.

I've seen nothing from Stewart that makes me thinks he is good enough for us.

At least he's only here for a season, as is Maynard
    Would agree with that. I'd been prepared to give him a bit of time, as I thought he didn't look fit at the start of the season. It turns out he looks like that all the time. Boy's got no pace at all, he's ridiculously one footed and he just looks unsure of everything he does. McGinn was one footed, but he could quickly make the space to use that effectively, and was at least half competent on his weaker one. Stewart's right foot is for standing on - and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Millers_Tash View Post
    But we did play our normal 4231 formation. Back 4 of Logan, O'Connor, Arnason, Considine; Shinnie & McLean in the middle; Stewart and Wright wide, with May playing off Maynard.

Until we swapped the 3 around, we had them on the ropes. May was getting involved in everything. Shifting him out wide, and putting Stewart through the middle killed momentum completely. Second half, we came out too lethargic, got punished for it, and didn't know how to react.

The Stewart that plays for us doesn't look capable of coping with the pressure. I suspect that being the main man at a mid/lower team like Dundee suits him more than being a part of the machine at a team like us.
    Your comment on Stewart is spot on.
    Sometimes the "shirt is too big" for a player.
    Similar to Hayes at Celtic maybe.
    We have a big problem out wide IMO.
    Last 4/5 seasons most of our attacks & goals have come from out wide.

The 4 that tend to get played wide for varying reasons are not the answer:

Christie - good player but plays better centrally & isn't a wide player
    GMS - looks a shadow of the Dundee Utd version
    Stewart - slow, lazy & not good enough
    Wright - Young & probably can't rely on him every week.

The defence & midfield is much of a muchness from last season, so it's out wide where we're struggling IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    When a players was playing Junior or amateur footy till the age of 20, then at Cowdenbeath till he gets a move to Dundee at 24, you have to query how good he actually is, even when he does score a good few goals at the top level.

Shades of Andy Dow for me, one good season in his entire career.

I've seen nothing from Stewart that makes me thinks he is good enough for us.

At least he's only here for a season, as is Maynard
    Correct on both counts.
    I reckon Maynard could play every game until May & he'd struggle to score 5 goals.
    Play May as a "9" and play 3 behind him in a 4-2-3-1

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post

The defence & midfield is much of a muchness from last season, so it's out wide where we're struggling IMO.
    Terrible performance and terrible result,we were awful in the first half so god knows what McInnes said at half time because we came out as bad in the 2nd half.He should have told them to get their fingers out but probably told them they done well knowing him.

Can't disagree much with your assessment of the players you mentioned.

Thought Wright was quiet today but it's understandable considering he is young and we can't rely on him every game.

I think Stewart has a good football brain on him but he is unbelievably slow and one footed,I'm glad he is only on loan.

I get the impression with GMS he is very similar to Hayes in you have to play him regularly to get the best out of him,putting him in and out of the team isn't going to do him or us any good.

Christie needs to play through the middle behind the striker,if we played with the same tempo for the entire game like we did for the last 10-15 minutes we would have won the game.

Why the feck is McInnes persisting with Maynard is beyond me,who said he would get 15-20 goals this season?No chance,it was an arrogant signing from McInnes thinking himself and the Doc could resurrect his career.They tried that with Goodwillie and it never worked either.

So to summarise:

We're 2nd but have been sh*te
    Most of our summer signings are sh*te
    Our defence is sh*te
    Our manager can't stop tinkering with sh*te
    McLean is a poof
    Milne is a c*nt

Did I miss anything or is that a fair summary of perspectives?

McInness at a different game from me:

"I thought Ryan Christie was busy but I don't think we looked any more threatening when the substitutes came on. We were not any more potent."

Still second, underfeated, not playing a fullsteam, I will take for now.
    Expect an improvement in the next few weeks

Best squad in years, takes a little time to all blended, we are not going to play brillantly everyweek, but dissapointed to drops points to Kilmarnock at home, these sort of games we should take full points from to keep us at the top end of the league

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post

Can't really agree with this. Of all the areas in the squad, I'd say wide-mid is one of our best areas (after goalkeeper). It's the only real area (except perhaps striker) that we have several options who could play in any given week without a noticebale drop in quality. The problem at the moment is we still don't really know how to use these players.

For me, GMS played quite well when he came on yesterday. He constantly had their full-back off balance and his crossing was pretty good. Christie whether he's played out wide or central is a constant threat and Wright is brilliant for his age (just two games ago those two combined to score/create all four of our goals - Christie winning a penalty and putting the cross in for the winner). Stewart is the one I can't see much from, but that's still three good options for two positions that every other team in the league bar Celtic would love to have.

Truly unbelievable that he dropped Christie instead of McLean.

The team has no spark without Christie. Nothing there except May shooting and thankfully he does because it would be unwatchable without him.

We may have good individual players but they don't complement each other at all like McGinn and Hayes giving it to Rooney for a tap in or Shinnie and Jack in front of the defence.

Pick 11 players that can work with each other and in their proper positions.

Lewis

Logan O'Connor Arnason Considine

Tansey/Ball Shinnie

Stewart Christie GMS

May

We're pretty stuffed without the defensive brain and work rate of Hayes and McGinn though. Logan and Considine are so exposed. If we had 2 actual DMs playing it would help prevent these massive gaps appearing.

Arnason also seems to make a big difference in the defence not looking like it's sh!tting itself.
    Last edited by stansmith; 17-09-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Theres too much tinkering going on with the line up & formation. He's only got one formation that works, so he should stick to it & play his best players in it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast