+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bike riders on the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi, I could could be biased don't like BMW and VW .But if we took a poll of bad drivers , think BMW would be near the top.

I disagree.

60 odd year old blokes driving big Jags seem to have an aversion to looking over their shoulder when pulling out,same with Toyata drivers.....probably because rigor mortis has already set in!

It’s funny how BMW and X5 drivers always get stick........is this more just green eyed envy from those having to squeeze into a Citroen Picasso who long for the power and comfort of a quality German car.

The reason there are so many car brands is because there is a multitude of tastes and financial situations out there.

I’ve driven all sorts including the hideous Morris Marina but now I can afford better I still admire the young chap in his Corsa with “go faster” Stripes because to him it’s his pinnacle at that time.

I hate this bashing of German car drivers even though I voted to leave the EU......there are idiots in all makes of vehicle.

Whats pissed me off for years is I have to pay 30 quid a year to dangle me maggot down the local cut. Tax on fishing yet cyclists tear arse round Willy Milly and pay nothing for use on our roads.Last week on entering one of my sites a cyclist crashed full chat in to me cracking my number plate I was stationary and he skidded in to me. He was apologetic which I accepted and carried on not knowing the damage. Don't get me started on the tour ofstaffs riding 5 a breast we all have our hobbies but following them for 4 miles does become tedious. I'm very careful driving round lanes as I lost a close friend knocked of her horse by a speeding driver. But its so easy to get stressed out whether on a bike doing a time trial or driving to and from work.

[QUOTE=mickd1961;39053275]I disagree.

60 odd year old blokes driving big Jags seem to have an aversion to looking over their shoulder when pulling out,same with Toyata drivers.....probably because rigor mortis has already set in!

It’s funny how BMW and X5 drivers always get stick........is this more just green eyed envy from those having to squeeze into a Citroen Picasso who long for the power and comfort of a quality German car.

The reason there are so many car brands is because there is a multitude of tastes and financial situations out there.

I’ve driven all sorts including the hideous Morris Marina but now I can afford better I still admire the young chap in his Corsa with “go faster” Stripes because to him it’s his pinnacle at that time.

I hate this bashing of German car drivers even though I voted to leave the EU......there are idiots in all makes of vehicle.[/QUOTE
    Hi Mick, rightly or wrongly my feelings for Bmw and Vw go right back to my childhood.
    My Dad lost his leg a Arnhem , he and Mom's family lost brothers and close relatives in both wars . Dad didn't talk about the war until after his stroke a few years before he died. Looking back Dad used to wake us up with his nightmares, then he would have times when he went into silent moods. Mom used tell us it was because of the war. Nowadays it's called post dramatic stress.
    I'm not anti German people,in fact our neighbour was a German lady a really nice kind lady.
    With regards German cars , i always felt it would disrespectful to the family to have one. But 2 things have stuck in my mind from my younger days, one of my mates passed his test before me and his Dad got him VW beetle. I asked Dad what he thought of them ,he just said it's a Nazi car.
    Another big memory was spending an afternoon talking to a Holocaust survivor . It was a privilege and a honour to talk to him, his memories have stayed with me. But after reading about BMW involvement in the war, they only apologised a few years ago.
    I hate bad manners and bad drivers of all cars. But when it's a BM it bring back these thoughts. My wife keep telling its the past. But it shows how thoughts from childhood stick, both good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Undoubtedly the worst car drivers are those in Range Rovers and BMW X5s. Especially those with ‘ego’ plates to advertise how much money they have to waste.

Chris you talk about cyclists being the only road users to mount the pavement, well delivery drivers are the worst for driving on the footpath but many car drivers do so as well. Point out the error of their ways and you get a load of abuse in return. Generally, cyclists are the most polite of all road users.
    That is done for the purpose of delivering though, not to beat a light or overtake stationary traffic. If the drivers don't mount the kerb in certain places then the road will be blocked by their vehicle. I suppose the government could ban people who live in narrow roads from buying wares that are delivered.

They could park further up the road and walk, driving on the footpath is illegal, just the same as jumping a red light.

They could park further up the road and walk, driving on the footpath is illegal, just the same as jumping a red light.
    Riding a bike on the pavement is illegal I believe Kets?

Is there a reason why these “coffin dodgers” on bikes don’t use a bell to alert pedestrians?

Is it because they expect us to hear their teeth rattling?

Undoubtedly the worst car drivers are those in Range Rovers and BMW X5s. Especially those with ‘ego’ plates to advertise how much money they have to waste.

Chris you talk about cyclists being the only road users to mount the pavement, well delivery drivers are the worst for driving on the footpath but many car drivers do so as well. Point out the error of their ways and you get a load of abuse in return. Generally, cyclists are the most polite of all road users.
    I think you need to take off your rose tinted specs when it comes to cyclists. I agree with several points that have already been made that bad manners and poor driving is not limited to one sector alone. Everyone has them. I think you need to accept this. Choosing van driving couriers is a bad example if you're on about road manners. If they are blocking pavements its generally because that's the most realistic option open to them.

If you've seen the cycle couriers in London and the uber aggressive way they mount pavements, ignore zebra crossings and generally show a complete disregard for others then you'd never criticise van driving couriers again. Cycle couriers are a complete menace.

Back to the main stream cyclists, what really gets me is how so many of these middle aged lycra wearing road warriors are so quick to berate other road users whilst applying complete double standards when it suits them such as going through crossings and through red lights. As I say, there are rude arrogant pedestrians and drivers but please don't pretend such behaviour is not common with some (not all) cyclists.

Yes, it should be about live and let live, literally! However, I still think that cyclists have much more to complain about regarding drivers than the other way around. It is rare for a cyclist to cause death by dangerous riding but common, unfortunately, for drivers to cause death by dangerous driving, to pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers. I walk through my village every day with my dog and estimate that 90% of vehicles are exceeding the speed limit; there are no cyclists exceeding the speed limit (unless the likes of Chris Froome have come through unnoticed). Probably the worst offenders are the white van delivery drivers who never adhere to the speed limits, drive on footpaths and generally don’t give a damn about anybody else.
    Death by dangerous driving is all too foremost in my mind at the moment, a young man who played cricket for our local club, a really nice boy, never had a bad word for anyone, he moved to Surrey in 2008 he had reached the age of 27 walking at night with a couple of friends in the twilight hours, a woman driver going quite fast in a country lane without lights mowed them down, killing two of them and injuring the other.

Make 'em pay road tax

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Make 'em pay road tax

Not a bad point but you don't see many fat cyclists due to the exercise. Cyclists could turn around therefore and say fat unhealthy people are more of a drain on the NHS! By the way - i'm no cyclist and the only bike I remember was at my school!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)