Quote Originally Posted by twinCAT View Post
That's exactly why they were all closed; because they weren't profitable in the long run. I'm friends with many fitters/electricians who served their time in the industry, and from their tales it's not difficult to understand why it wasn't profitable. They all agree it was the best job they've ever had, the best paid job they've ever had, the best pension scheme they've ever had, while also telling stories of how often they were skiving, and did very little work. It was never going to be sustainable with that work ethic. Why should the government have subsidized it? Welcome to the real world now, it must come as a shock to you.
I'm back to reply having just sat and watched the first part of 'The price of coal'.

Don't forget we've met! You wouldn't have lasted a ferkin shift down a pit if you'd have been put on a button job, never mind several years.

As for reality, I left Silverwood in 92 yeh 26 years ago. I adapted to a new vocation and chapter in my life and successfully worked my way through a career right at the bottom as a part time salesperson right the way through to eventually becoming a store Manager for the current most successful High Street retailer in electronics, I'll let you work that one out who I work for.

Thing is I could go back down a mine tomorrow and switch back with ease and fulfilling my role as a heading worker driving a 30 tonne machine, working in temperatures you only feel on your holidays, could you?